!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Couplings that don't!!  (Read 331 times)

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Couplings that don't!!
« on: February 08, 2020, 09:20:19 PM »
Can't find anything on search so here goes.
I have had many instances of locos/wagons uncoupling by themselves. Rearranging order of wagons /coaches will often fix the problem but n gauge couplings in general seem annoyingly unreliable at times.
Any comments or suggestions. Bullfrog snot is not appealing, maybe it's just the name.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Couplings that don't!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 09:26:50 PM »
Maybe a blob of tacky wax may do the job

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »
To be honest I find the good old Rapido coupling to be perfectly reliable the vast majority of the time and I love the ubiquity of being able to buy any brand I like and just hook it in.  It was a very forward thinking gesture by Arnold to make it available to all (and indeed I hadn't realised until very recently that it was actually a Rokal design that Arnold acquired).   It's only the very odd occasion that two items just don't like each other and need to be turned or moved.

Dunno about using Bullfrog Snot, but plain simple Copydex works for some folk.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:29:39 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »
I must admit that I've never had a problem with any of them uncoupling, even mixing Peco Elsies with sprung Farish.

Actually, I do have a problem with uncoupling. Automatic uncoupling with them is difficult. I've had no success with the Peco lift arms.

They do have the advantage that you can easily lift a wagon out of a rake - something anyone who ever had a Triang train set with tension lock couplings will know was bloody impossible.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 10:53:49 PM »
Yeah not the job for Bullfrog Snot, more for Tackywax or Copydex.

I do agree that Rapidos just work well 99% of the time, and when they don’t it’s nearly always a design failing of the wagon (droopy pockets etc).

The Dapol dummy knuckles are quite nice if you’re never swapping wagons around, but have no auto coupling function, so can be fiddly.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 11:19:33 PM »
Let me add Canopy Glue to the mix, dries tacky & clear.

I have many wagons that don't stay coupled especially when mixing between manufacturers, the semi permanent glue thing is fine but only if you run fixed rakes, which I do.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 11:39:18 PM »
I do find the modern Rapido couplings in NEM pockets take more of a heavy clunk to ensure they couple .  Not ideal when shunting or coupling loco to train esp at exhibitions.  The Farish sprung even alongside Peco's version seem easier.  It is because their vertical movement is more restricted and less "free".  But if I have uncoupling issues it is either because a NEM coupling has not reseated, or unevenness in the track or coupling height issues (should be rare).  The beauty of them, like the old Hornby Doublo couplings, is that it is easy to lift an item off.  Helpful in a fiddle yard.  One aspect of easi shunt I am less keen about). 

Online woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »
I tend to agree with @njee20 that it is often the design of the coach/wagon which encourages unreliable coupling and unintended uncoupling.

I had a number of continental wagons with NEM socket Rapido couplers which had a propensity to uncouple with no real provocation. I bought a 50 pack of Fleischmann Profi couplers which solved the problem immediately. These have a fixed longitudinal guide between the couplers with a latch on top, and also facilitate shunting using a pre-uncoupling facility courtesy of the shape of the latch. For a period of time I had a (unfinished) shunting layout and devised a means of uncoupling them using magnetic repulsion. A pair of 3mm diameter neodymium magnets between the rails repelled 1mm diameter magnets on the two latches which disengaged them and allowed a wagon to be propelled to its parking spot. The pre-uncoupling facility was excellent and I was especially proud of being able to propel a pre-uncoupled wagon completely round the layout including a reversing loop. Pity that the Profi couplers are relatively expensive.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
At least 95% of "unintended decouplings" are actually caused be either poorly laid track or poor operation (excessive speed over point work or around sharp curves) and not actually the fault of the coupling (of whatever brand or type)...

Yes there are slight variances due to manufacturing tolerances which do mean some individual vehicles are more susceptible to the effects of the above, but it is the poor running that is the root cause.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
At least 95% of "unintended decouplings" are actually caused be either poorly laid track or poor operation (excessive speed over point work or around sharp curves) and not actually the fault of the coupling (of whatever brand or type)...

Yes there are slight variances due to manufacturing tolerances which do mean some individual vehicles are more susceptible to the effects of the above, but it is the poor running that is the root cause.
95% of my rolling stock perform faultlessly and the remainder just do their own thing, usually on a bend. Don't think its anything to do with track laying or condition in my case.
Besides, everyone knows my track laying is perfect.
 :D
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »
Thomas isn't the only one with troublesome trucks :no:
Especially Peco ones, in my case

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00