!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ditton ( - and the works )  (Read 4420 times)

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: ditton ( - and the works )
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Excellent remedy for wet weekend blues.  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »
For sure. Gave me something to enjoy rather than being out with the wind, rain, start of half term. Was surprised the florist sold me the lichen when I explained I was a model maker. Then I did not fancy my dodgy wiring skills. Used a tin of blue humbrol to paint the shed doors after spotting it in the DIY store on sale. 5 for 4 pots various colours. So then waiting for pva to dry got down to painting a building, making the platforms more realistic, updating the knightwing station lamps tops a shade of white just like a station should have.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:54:19 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 11:37:49 AM »
Sounds good Chris, look forward to seeing Ditton in a few weeks time. Did you buy the soldering iron?
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 12:37:06 PM »
Sorry not actually progressing for a while due to other important matters.  Please bear with me everybody @DarrwestLU6  have to deal with replacement of points, resurrecting a signal, fishplates  a loose wire. I'm taking time off this and not buying tools yet
 I'm dealing with family problems

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:54:10 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
@DarrwestLU6 . Hi lighting refit is 3 weeks away so after inspecting  damage caused by landlord ' s agent will have to cope with chrism 's idea. I've had to replace 3 points after the ( censored ) workman moved a board without asking and dropped a foot and took
 Compensation time. So temporary lighting, new points on order, fishplates, clean up mess, rewire the loose one. AND NO solder so have had no time to do this. Graveyard shifts at night has meant once jobs are done I have an hour to my relief so ,   knightwing A20 modern station lamps have been painted, I had taken a box in with stiff cardboard tubes, cylindrical parts under the seat of a broken unwanted desk chair in the skip so ripped the seat, no one wanted. Undid screws kept the black cylinder fixed to the metal tube that sits under the seat. Job done painted black. Pva . Then set. Night two, jobs done, boredom at 445am, drew up list of parts I'm seeking  paint an old farish goods shed as was bit scrappy and faded plus reinforced with plastic ard , it looked shabby. More later

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »
Hopefully weather will pick up in march but for now lighting issue still a headache. No soldering iron yet  DIY store have a little one I have seen so placed my order and then once I have fixed the damaged track, received new fishplates and rewired one piece . Not a task I fancy. So ally pally show looming, I'm not posting photos as will be rewiring a point @DarrwestLU6 take note. Just had landlord on phone, he had staffing problems, so 3 to 6 weeks away before lights are fixed. Anyway gives me chance to add new points  slot the board where I want to , buy solder iron  do 3 pieces with it of solder  then add the new board basically a small fiddle yard. No photos yet so dont ask please. It's a scrawled design at my notepad

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »
Hi Chris - whilst you are waiting for the new bits, if you have a free daytime with good light,  you could pin the track down with track pins to stop it moving about, start with the cross-over and work from there, making sure all the track is correctly in the fish plates and pushed together nicely. That should solve a few problems with power getting to the track.

Even if the pins are in temporarily (before you glue and ballast) it will stop any track from popping out of the fish plates accidentally. I use the Peco track fixing pins, part number SL-14. My method is to hold the head in a pair of pliers and push the pin gently into the baseboard through the pre-drilled holes in the points and track, usually I can get the pin all the way in this way, and if I muck it up and it buckles (happens every so often) I just pull it out and do it again. I find this usually works best, I never got on with the plunger tools....
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »
Thanks I'm aware of that @DarrwestLU6 and on top of the game. Pinning is being taken care of, rewiring one piece. But I have more important matters at present on my plate and will post in a bit progress as my preferred supplier has just notified me 2 points I need are out of stock and will follow separately. The above mentioned peco SL14 are awaited. Thanks
I'm also sorting a rather tough family issue which is taking my time so .... for time being .... I seriously cannot work on the crossover until I receive. My main project now is to focus on ideas I'm doodling and sorting what buildings I have in my box, sorting a box load of tools and family stress
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:52:55 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2020, 06:18:40 PM »
Onto the good bits. I'm hoping once up and running looking at bits where I grew up . Ditton involved the triangle junction heading towards Weaver Junction was going to be the challenge. The lack of space means the OHLE section heading towards there maybe a mini idea in my mind. Sourcing catenary wires not an issue so heading towards widnes and east on that line and the branches towards warrington and fiddles ferry maybe possible. As have speedlink  freightliner 70s / 80s style   , BOC widnes, tanner lane traffic plus HAA coal wagons for warrington after the trip to the carriage wagons works as seen. Watch this space

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
Thanks a new plan will be posted when I'm ready once track I've ordered has arrived plus trackpinning and resoldering and errant wire has taken place and once a family matter at home has been resiolved

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2020, 06:38:11 PM »
On a positive note. Before I head to a meeting tonight, finally 3 weeks a new light will be fitted . It's kind of dark and I have had enough of bad lights so given up for today. Track pins arrived and the awaited crossover so that's a task on my day off . Trackpinning at the ' works end ' then erecting trestle , putting photos up. Please don't ask tonight for them my meeting is priority and concentration levels so so. Then a couple of insulating joiners, new fishplates will be added. Just two pieces to resolder and no I'm borrowing one for half hour. Baseboard two will be open frame construction and that's the weekend to plan my next ideas. Watch this space

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2020, 09:32:02 PM »
Just an update. A family member and I needed to sort matters at home. Tomorrow is pinning and tacking track down plus  borrowing a soldering iron. I've checked and found a loose wire on a fishplate. Not good. Whilst waiting for glue to dry on board two and adding nails ,  screws . Then maybe see how far I get with building pieces in my box. Happy modelling and the road by the cottages is dry. I've found an old few pieces from an old layout in a takeaway container so pva glue ing down . Then hopefully will take shots in daylight good light of the wiring as have to just secure a couple. So thinking the knees and back will be stiff after being under boards
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:36:11 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2020, 08:51:59 AM »
Morning. Just updating
 Taping up the wiring underneath after soldering a loose piece with a borrowed solder iron. Shop I use will not have the piece I'm after or the solder iron for 2 weeks but some kind soul lent me his.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 08:53:32 AM by crewearpley40 »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2020, 08:55:38 AM »
Oh and the crossover installed. Thankfully all wired up @DarrwestLU6 . Replaced the damaged points and new fishplates in. More later as other things to do.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2020, 04:13:04 PM »
Here is the update. Still waiting on the glue to dry on board 2 having added battens in an open frame and another cross piece I've added to strengthen trestle one. That was a recycled item I found in the bins area in the skip and it just needed sanding, varnish and a hinge screwing. So track pinned , new fishplates inserted. What next ? Lighting   before it gets dark , check my Hammant and Morgan Duette controller still works. Yes. I still needed to place a bit of pva on the scenic bit I noticed after the last movement by the wretched workmen had loosened so blob of pva, tiny bit of work with scraping filler bashed by the ( next word censored ) foot, disguise with my left over florists lichen 3.50 a bag.  I found another piece from a broken office chair which used to sit under the seat so screwed in , taken off from there, remove the unwanted metal and what did I have a plastic cylindrical piece ideal for the industrial scene. Cut a piece to be glued on the board  job done. Spray black. Window open. After a cold drink and face mask, disposal gloves off. Check pva . .   Then thanks to Joey67 aka Mark of Shrewford   same idea , paint my station lamps white top, grey base, dab
Superglue and paint base grey brown and add bit of brown paint and brown ballast to represent the wintery platform scene.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal