!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ditton ( - and the works )  (Read 9903 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: ditton ( - and the works )
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2020, 11:23:53 PM »
Nice - you have been busy! Lots of progress there! Glad to hear you got the nasty shifts out the way.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2020, 11:49:29 PM »
I'm still waiting .... on the replacement signal I ordered, only to find out via email a duff one had been sent. A  tough call and the chaos and the not helpful shop  assistant put me through to accounts, I got my refund. I've also found the model has been discontinued. Satisfied, yes, cash back, I called a different company and he is waiting an order from his distributor but had 4 items in stock and did me a sale 11 off plus I've ordered other bits. Great fun for therapy when after work and a nap, onto serious modelling
 So soldering fishplates that did arrive , installing a point after receiving a swap for a dodgy point blade I returned.  Yes , was sold a dodgy point with the tie bar loose. Weight off my mind. And resting tonight reading up on 8dassociation.btck.co.uk in hope I can recreate the stock used by chemical trains at albright Wilson, lever bros, crossfields, box, castner keller and ici  liquid petroleum gas at folly lane which can be just painted and transfers added. On my to do list for some stock in my box I picked up last year

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2020, 06:55:39 PM »
So as april ends, may is near. Ouch, the first 4 months of the year near enough out the way....... I have installed a new point. I am waiting two more plus extra joiners, a couple of IRJs then plan to install them. I'm revising a small piece the track plan. Next week will have pieces i have ordered mail permitting and exchanging some for a spare controller from another forum member. This will allow separate control for a second person or if i wish to detach part of the layout and run separate. I did notice power feeds to two track is missing and not hundred percent, so hence the need for a second controller. I'm once the post had arrived with spare ordered ballast add the extra line at the works, ballast around the works itself borrowing a technique I have been sharing with @1977joey , mark at shrewford. Thanks to darren @DarrwestLU6   , for electrics help. Items on order. So in the meantime  ,scenics under way at the back board. No photos yet. .... buildings still being placed and glued. And researching sourcing suitable stock

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
Yes, darkening some of the ballast as finding difficulty sourcing much darker stuff. So the emulsion tester pot came out and the last I have was trialled. Will let you know the results. Been looking at how to replicate the ici tanks, boc tanks  and the caustic soda tanks. The most difficult will be having to repaint as none available/ ever produced boc tanks except in 00. Then there are the iwa wagons from revolution trains seen hauled south on aluminium trains  , cannot wait to see them in the flesh. So for now. Happy reading. I'm looking into extra haa coal hoppers on the fiddlers ferry  , ffa and fga containers, speedlink wagons. That's the future

Online gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2020, 08:24:38 PM »
Just spent some time reading through this thread. Certainly look like you have made some good progress on what looks like a sizable layout.
I look forward to some future updates and I am sure with your knowledge of things it will be a very comprohensive model  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
Thanks gavin. It's just having fun waiting for items to arrive and sourcing stock

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2020, 04:52:21 PM »
So mayday and not quite the sos. Post arrived, just as I was reviewing an email saying rail joiners and other track  , a point  , IRJs plus other bits were shipped a day late and the company gave the wrong tracking number. Life must go on. Paul at CR Signals helpfully sent at 8 off the last two and I ordered signals so several 2 aspect dummy signals arrived. Cannot be bad. Just managed to find a helpful polite postman but trying to stuff them via my letter box. I was on the phone as working off home. Anyway roll on 2pm. Easy. Gimlet and bevel out. Several small holes no drill and a check that the plate under the signal was ok. No glueing as the signal has a screw so slotted in well. Pleased. 330pm . Ground frame and 3 light shunt signals placed

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: May 01, 2020, 04:54:00 PM »
Here is another close up
you may have to enlarge the photo. Really pleased and realistic with the range
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:55:15 PM by crewearpley40 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »
I have also to praise northwestern models run by kevin and chris who sell n gauge laser cut benches, people and an economy 20 people pack at 6  did seem reasonable so much I did manage to repaint one man to represent a station worker. Just glad I became involved I n gauge 15 year odd ago. Several home moves, a flat that became available 5year ago, a rebuild a year ago by the landlord.....time flies.still working on my total 16 x 4 foot available on 2 boards. I have had a loft clear out. Two small 3 x 2boards were obtained so loft was clear. I've transformed them into scenic pieces but can slide them off N old trestle table pair of legs. A mate had retired after 40 years as a painter and has back trouble. Thankfully he said yours or a skip . I offered 10 quid or milk and groceries. And he is 74 . Parted with 10 quid plus 2 pints milk. Two sturdy trestle legs are mine do now adding a shelf unit found in the loft to store trains I'm not running rather than them sitting in boxes. Job done

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2020, 06:10:16 PM »
And another shot

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2020, 09:40:47 AM »
Saturday morning. Gaugemaster ballast arrived.  Day to knuckle down to another board the chore we all either love or hate. Due to documented  supply issues dutfield's of chelmsford have stock so that will help replace the point and add an extra long siding  , and thanks @DarrwestLU6 , the second control piece is in it's way. Right other things to sort, so will post tonight

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »
Today. Has been signalling research day. In 1993 real time ditton box was closed for good. It was the LNWR 40 lever type 5 downscaled to 25 levers in the 80s. A decent scaled down farish signaLbox was purchased last year at the  stevenage show  it was in a bargain box with the steps and roof needing placement glue. So..... knowing the area , if the ditton,Allerton slow lines made it impossible to access halewood if coming in off the widnes lines  and trains could only access halewood from runcorn , a ground frame would be needed and thus the crossover was installed at ditton west of the box in the 70s in my time frame to allow warrington and widnes low level freight to run to tanhouse lane or simply use ditton works reception siding . Headshunt signals 8002, 8004 and 8006 have been placed. I know signals have plates to tell drivers  signal staff, signal technicians and the box   to identify so. DN306 protects the junction under the west side of the bridge. It will protect speke junction , allows release of trains to 302, 307  , up to signal SE16 to allow freight to reverse east to ditton. Ditton DN 86 and 87 start trains for garston. HN22 protects freight at Garston Halton Junction and movements off the freight terminal to the garston and speke direction.      I have modelled signals HN23, G50 to allow fiddlers ferry via sutton  , these are over the back for warrington speedlink and fiddlers ferry hoppers. M53 and 52 protect monks sidings on warrington bound absolute block rule. I could not get litton mill in.           I did use nw models groundframe kit which is not fiddly just gentle pliers and dab of pva on the base and groundframe is at sankey bridge at the rear. It's been quite a challenge to model in n gauge using square cuts of plasticard with letraset lettering and glueing onto the tiny signals. I must say using cr signals they are easy to work with instal and uncomparable to berko eckons I have used in the past. Even DN306 which I showed earlier is a cr signal kit. Chris and Paul at rotherham superb detailed easy and friendly.   

Online gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2020, 10:21:27 PM »
Looks and sounds like more great progress  :D

As always I am impressed with your attention to detail and real railway knowledge of workings that you are applying to your model

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2020, 10:26:50 PM »
Thank you gavin. Many years on the real railway @gavin_t plus looking at  notes taken c 1989 to 93 . I did live in the liverpool , cheshire area and found even then a drawer ful of working timetables in a chargemans office amongst other items that were not good. Nevertheless I kept the timetables, freight books, plus noted old photos I took. Worth going to a railway station as soon as the time is safe. Signalling is on cr signals website, plus the sites I mentioned in previous posts.         

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2020, 08:36:36 AM »
Later today, once I have returned from the daily walk  and sorted signs the type you see on signal posts , yes , I'm constructing my own from plasticard cuts and letraset will be posting.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal