!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: KR Models resurrects DJM ‘King’ and ‘Shark’  (Read 3639 times)

Gooner1953, railsquid, JonHarbour, Bob G and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Re: KR Models resurrects DJM ‘King’ and ‘Shark’
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2020, 09:37:57 AM »

Hello all,

The problem of magazines unintentionally breaking embargoes usually arises because of their long lead times of up to 6 weeks before publication.  It is almost always down to c-up, rather than conspiracy.

As has been said, KR Models are not the only ones to fall victim to this - Model Rail published details of an Accurascale model (possibly the 00 PCA cement wagon) before they themselves had announced it.

And (with apologies for thread drift, but in answer to a point above) while Revolution is growing in both range and aspiration, the non-crowdfunded models are mainly possible due to the backing of private individuals.

As a courtesy to KR Models can I ask that we keep this thread for them?  I’ll be happy to answer any other Revolution questions in Revolution topics.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2020, 11:09:02 AM »
That's great news. I've been banging on about the Shark for some time!
So long as people use CREDIT cards when dealing with crowdfunders, I don't see a problem.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 11:16:32 AM »
I was never in the market for a King but my friend and I would be up for a couple of Sharks each.
Now then, I wonder who's got that class 17 tool..................................... :hmmm:

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 12:13:37 PM »
I can't remember what stage the Shark reached under DJM - I think it had been tooled but I think it was the RMweb topic that had the latest developments and identified some errors that needed correcting.  Definitely worth checking.

Cheers Mike

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 12:54:56 PM »
So long as people use CREDIT cards when dealing with crowdfunders, I don't see a problem.

I do. The Consumer Credit Act only offers protection if the total cost of the purchase is over £100. A £20-30 wagon won't be covered unless you buy over £100 worth of them.

Steven B.

Offline KR Models

• We dare to build
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • KR Models
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »
Our business model ensures our viability in bringing new models to the market.  Our current model of the Fell has received some great support from this community but just not enough to start the build process.  However, as with all our models, the expression of interest is still open, and should we ever get close to enough then we'll send out emails giving an official launch.

I am well aware of the stigma behind crowdfunding, but with an industry like this with is so fickle about which models they should buy, getting funding using conventional means just won't happen.  We are not in retail for the very reason that we want to keep control in-house.

Yes we value communication very much, we don't bombard you with emails but we will be on here, and our Facebook page and our periodic newsletters.  You need to know where we are with all our projects. 

We have a lot of great model ideas over our 5-year business plan, so we are NOT going anywhere anytime soon.  Taking on too much too soon is NOT our goal.  But projects have to overlap to maintain visablity and cashflow.
KR Models, makers of fine detail model trains and rolling stock.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »
Sounds like the Shark might be a good place to start with N gauge - desired prototype and relative cheap selling price that people can take a punt.  Ultimately, it comes down to delivery and this will build trust.  As for the Shark, I seem to recall seeing decorated samples and this is what made me place my order with Hattons.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBWZv78QooTejcYi5afQBg/videos

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 05:26:08 PM »
sorry to be a detractor ...

but after other manufacturers, and their failures, I will most certainly NOT be paying up front for a possible model.

too many people have lost too much, and I do not intend to join them.

produce a model, and I would buy, promise pie in sky and I will walk away.

hard, I know, but as they say, once bitten, twice shy.

luckily I was not bitten, but still very shy.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 06:44:50 PM »
sorry to be a detractor ...

but after other manufacturers, and their failures, I will most certainly NOT be paying up front for a possible model.

too many people have lost too much, and I do not intend to join them.

produce a model, and I would buy, promise pie in sky and I will walk away.

hard, I know, but as they say, once bitten, twice shy.

I think many people will feel the same after the DJM debacle.
I had two Kings ordered with deposits paid, but managed to get my credit card payment refunded.  I wonder how many were unlucky and lost their deposits?

I would be vary wary of joining in crowdfunding in future, prefering to see something that has actually been produced.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:31:32 PM by Newportnobby, Reason: Quotes sorted out »

Online Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 10:27:00 PM »
I've just cancelled an imminent 3 week trek in Vietnam as I don't fancy the risk of virus with my poor lung health, or the risk of quarantine in a country without a lot of proper medicine. I've lost over £4k because the FO says you can still travel to Vietnam. But the holiday would require wearing masks all day and the schools and Universities are closed, there are shops running out of food, and some tourist locations are closed.

Get this into perspective.
Its a hobby. Its a few weeks of fags. Or a gamble on the horses.

Online emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 10:46:20 PM »
Tough break Bob.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2020, 05:19:10 AM »
People did use credit cards and some did lose that money.  So I see a problem.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2020, 08:16:21 AM »
Best wishes of course to any new manufacturer risking their money for the hobby.

It will be interesting to see the outcome as is will go some way to answering some of the questions about the failure of the DJM version:
  • Was it the Market Size - In reality there are there actually insufficient N-gauge modellers want a King?
  • Was it the Model - Did they not commit because of the identified issues in the CAD shown and hold back in the hope they would be corrected?
  • Was it the Method of funding - Is the market too averse to Crowdfunding, but would have bought it by conventional means if it was available "off the shelf"?
  • Was it the Man - Was it simply a refusal to deal with Dave no matter how much you wanted the model?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:19:16 AM by PLD »

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2020, 08:50:57 AM »
Method of funding and the man.

DJM's model choice was sound. The Shark, King, class 17 etc would sell well if produced by Farish or Dapol. Farish sold bucket loads of their old King over the years.

Given "Blue Ribbon" standard A4s have sold 1000s of models I'm sure there's enough of a market for the King too.

Dave Jones left Dapol on a high. He'd been responsible for the well respected Western and several other models. He had grand plans but sadly failed to deliver. His business acumen didn't quite match his ideas.

Sadly the DJM collapse has left a lot of modellers very wary of investing their money upfront, especially with a relatively new supplier. My feeling is that unless some of the model shops stock KR Models products then both the Shark and the King will struggle to get enough pre-orders to make the projects cover their costs.

Steven B.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2020, 09:04:13 AM »
People did use credit cards and some did lose that money.  So I see a problem.

I have to disagree with this.

Firstly there clearly were some who have been unable to recover funds paid by debit card and Paypal.

Secondly, even if funds were recovered from a credit card company SOMEONE has lot money - the banks and card companies, this is not a story where everyone ends happy. However it came about money has been paid to DJM that for reasons we may guess but will never truly know was soaked up with very little to show.

However, KR Models have nothing to do with DJM, and it would be wholly unfair to tar them with the same brush. If I like what I see as things develop, I am certainly in for a couple of Sharks.

Like others though, I lament the loss of the Clayton. A few tweaks to tooling and it is clear that a perfectly passable and very sweet running loco would have been delivered.

I'm not in for a King, and wasn't before, but that is only because it is not a model I can justify, and (sacrilege) not a prototype I particularly like.

Roy

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal