!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Mini Power tools  (Read 335 times)

Offline johnk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10199
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Mini Power tools
« on: February 01, 2020, 07:18:18 PM »
Any recommendations for a suitable Mini drill. Mine has just 'given up ' and I need to replace. Have hade Lidl Parkside recharge able up to now but not entirely impressed as they only get low usage and this is third replacement!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks in advance to respondees!
Johnk

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Mini Power tools
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 08:51:40 PM »
Dremel are recognised as THE best but are rather expensive but you get what you pay for .
Bob Tidbury

Online Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
  • I Am European
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »
I've got the Dremel 3000 which is a cracking little piece of kit, you can pick one up for around £45

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 09:19:44 PM »
I have a couple of mains powered mini drills lurking in the garage for "serious use" I think one's an old Dremel and one's a Black and Decker.

However, mostly I use my Lidl Parkside one and it's been perfectly fine for light use, plus being cordless it doesn't get hung up on things when I'm working on the layout.  Mine was actually sent to me by a German friend as a gift, I couldn't really tell him we have a Lidl just round the corner from our estate  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 12:06:08 AM »
I've used Minicraft for years no problems. They do collet & keyless chuck models.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 03:36:53 AM »
Hi John,

I had a Rotorcraft tool, and found that the lead got in the way, and after a big, but not too exhausting job the motor burnt out. :(

I have since bought a cordless Dremmel. It easily gets to any awkward spots, and is a fantastic bit of kit  :thumbsup:

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Online Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 01:35:21 PM »
I have a Dremel but I find that rather noisy. I also have a Maplin version which works fine unless you apply too much pressure and it cuts out so you have to turn the speed down to off and back on again. I bought a Parkside one earlier this week but am yet to try it. All 3 are cordless which as said above is far less hassle than a corded version.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline David Asquith

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »
I asked our local hardware shop the price of a Dremel set with all the accessories and they wanted a hundred and twenty euros.  Had a look through their catalogue and found a Yamoto one (chinese) for 40 euros with the same accessories.  I´ve had a couple of their other tools and they are ok.  Their dremelalike is powerful but it vibrates like hell when I use it on more than half speed.

Dave

Offline johnk

• N Gauge Society Number: 10199
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »
Many thanks for all responses to my 'ask' for help. All was very much appreciated and I think I will be going for a Dremel cordless -- despite the cost! Again many thanks -it was 0f much help. Johnk :D :D

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal