!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gaugemaster DCC92 Decoder and JMRI  (Read 255 times)

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Gaugemaster DCC92 Decoder and JMRI
« on: January 24, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »
I have loaded up the latest version of JMRI however it does not have the DCC92 Decoder listed. Which would be better use something similar or can you create the decoder for the system. I read somewhere this was possible however have never tried this as the decoder I have used has always been listed,

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Gaugemaster DCC92 Decoder and JMRI
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »
I have loaded up the latest version of JMRI however it does not have the DCC92 Decoder listed. Which would be better use something similar or can you create the decoder for the system. I read somewhere this was possible however have never tried this as the decoder I have used has always been listed,

Its a generic re-brand.  If JMRI does not make a decision for you uses the default NMRI configuration.   As far as I am aware there are no special configurations like sound or unusual motor modulation then the NMRI standard configuration should give you everything you need.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:21:45 PM »

As with every Gaugemaster decoder, you need to do a bit of detective work to find out what Gaugemaster bought in from elsewhere.   Most recent Gaugemaster stuff ("Ruby") appears to be from Digitrax, so either work out the relevant Digitrax model and select that, or pick something reasonably recent from Digitrax' list.    I'd make a guess its a DZ126PS - unlikely to be a problem with any settings if I'm out by a few Digitrax decoder models. 

Yes, you can write your own decoder definition file (I could explain how to start), but its not needed for Gaugemaster stuff because it is just re-badged from something else which is usually relatively common.   

The limitation with the generic NMRA decoder definition is it only covers basics, such as address, speed settings and some function mapping, and assumes a maker has followed everything in the NMRA recommendations (which some makers don't!).   It will lack some motor control features which are often needed to tweak a decoder to get optimal running, and some other feature. 

- Nigel  (occasional writer of JMRI decoder definition files,  I have a couple of tweaks for the NGS Hunslet to do based on checking the production decoder.  )

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 06:25:32 PM »
Thank you @Nigel Cliffe that's of great help.

Managed to fit the ones I bought to my locos however it disagrees with a Bachmann Cl55 I fitted the DCC92 to. it keeps surging forward rather than a gradual increase in speed like it does on the others. There must be something on the loco or a setting on the decoder that I missed as it does not do it to any other of the locos.

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:54:50 AM »
Thank you @Nigel Cliffe that's of great help.

Managed to fit the ones I bought to my locos however it disagrees with a Bachmann Cl55 I fitted the DCC92 to. it keeps surging forward rather than a gradual increase in speed like it does on the others. There must be something on the loco or a setting on the decoder that I missed as it does not do it to any other of the locos.

Start playing with the various motor control parameters to see if those change things.

Or, swap the decoder out for something with better motor control - there are reasons why I come back to "buy Zimo".

- Nigel

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal