!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How do I fit Dapol Easi Shunt to Farish Poole steam locos without damage  (Read 439 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Ive searched the forum but cannot find anything to say this is possible, the nearest I found was converting a Union Mills however the mod was destructive in not being reversible.
My n gauge collection has many many Poole era steam locos and China Poole steam clones which I am not going to change for later nem pocket ones.
My only thought is to work with a permanent attached wagon on the rapidos with a nem pocket on the other wagon end.
Or is an adaptor made yet to fit the Farish Rapido pocket without irreversible chopping?

Offline PLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: How do I fit Dapol Easi Shunt to Farish Poole steam locos without damage
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:53:39 AM »
There is no option other than fitting a NEM pocket by whatever means.

If you subsequently want to return to a Rapido coupling you can simply fit a NEM Rapido in the Pocket...

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 08:45:13 AM »
I must admit it does surprise me that Dapol don't offer a T-shank version.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:20:48 AM »
Surely the NEM mount on the coupler could be shaped to fit into the T-shaped standard sprung mount?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline keithhumphries

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 10:05:24 PM »
i would have thought that dapol would be able to supply something,i will try by asking them,if they reply i will post their reply

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:28:59 AM »
A colleague at my club says that magnetic couplings with Rapido / Farish pocket T's are available from America, he was however unable to qualify with a makers name or further info.

Is he right?

I'm just a bit cautious of spending £30 on a Dapol set of couplings / magnets until Ive done some homework. Sometimes at the club we run a theme night, such as LNER when a number of us take several A4's for example. we dont all want to do a destructive tender chassis mod on our many locos just to fit Easi shunt, whereas a screwdriver job to change couplings is straightforward, (as long as you prepare to catch flying Farish springs).

Inspiration would be most welcome.................

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 10:33:45 AM »
Inspiration would be most welcome.................

Practice modifying the NEM coupler itself using any old spares (I presume you must have some), before moving to the actual couplers. I think with a long shank coupler you should be able to shape the NEM end to sit snugly in the older style pocket.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Snowwolflair

• N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »
Surely the NEM mount on the coupler could be shaped to fit into the T-shaped standard sprung mount?

Cheers,
Alan

Micro Trains Line and ConCor produce N gauge Knuckle coupler with T shank mounting that should couple to EzShunt.  Whether they will uncouple the same way I am not sure but it would be worth taking a look.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 11:34:29 AM »
This part MTL-00133031

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »
Thanks guys, ive done some searching. The micro trains Kadee might look possible, however, the packaging says ‘magnet included’ then says ‘non magnetic’
The Con Cor web site and retailers say out of stock etc
So being baffled I think I have to give up on what might have been a good idea unless Dapol make a new product.
Do we have any American scale modelers who know better?

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 03:37:31 PM »
Thanks guys, ive done some searching. The micro trains Kadee might look possible, however, the packaging says ‘magnet included’ then says ‘non magnetic’
The Con Cor web site and retailers say out of stock etc
So being baffled I think I have to give up on what might have been a good idea unless Dapol make a new product.
Do we have any American scale modelers who know better?

I have been thinking about the same problem hence the answer and I have a pack on order.  If it works i will let you know.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 02:19:07 PM »
Last week I emailed Dapol asking if they might be making a Rapido socket T based easy shunt, however no reply, this week I have emailed kadee with a similar question.

I'm sure somebody must make them as I recollect months back buying a wagon and having to remove these type couplings to refit standard Farish, must check my various bits boxes.

Whilst I will post any replies, in the meantime if anybody can point me in the correct direction of a supplier then please do as we are working on the club layout re-vamp and it would be a good idea to add magnets now.....

Kind regards to all

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »
Last week I emailed Dapol asking if they might be making a Rapido socket T based easy shunt, however no reply, this week I have emailed kadee with a similar question.

Kadee don't make N Gauge couplings anymore. their range is now made by Micro Trains.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 05:58:57 PM »
I'm sure somebody must make them as I recollect months back buying a wagon and having to remove these type couplings to refit standard Farish, must check my various bits boxes.
If I'm understanding correctly, the prime objection to using the NEM conversion kit is the (understandable) desire to be able to revert to a Rapido coupling in the future?

Assuming that to be the case, NEM Rapidos are readily available and easily swapable without the need for any tools or risk of straying springs, so I don't see why that isn't considered a viable option...

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 11:15:31 PM »
Thanks PLD however my point is to look for an installation that does not need irreversible damage to be caused to Farish Steam Locos. I and many of my club members run Farish Steam tender locos and steam tank engines either Poole made or later ones made by Bachmann Farish China but having the Rapido style pockets. To alter a Farish Steam Tender chassis block to fit a nem pocket would be destructive and irreversible and almost certainly devalue the Loco.
The n gauge market needs Dapol to make a new moulding for their coupling shank to incorporate the T in the moulding which would fit the Rapido pocket.

I was just hoping that there may have been such a product made elsewhere in the world.

I’ve been given a Dapol duff easi shunt coupling (spring missing) and I’m going to look at the plastics to see if I can melt it at all. It may be possible to hot wire fuse a Dapol east shunt to a Dapol or Farish T. I’ve a bag of Farish NEM couplers but alas no Dapol ones.

Or maybe I might find that elusive manufacturer already making these........

Maybe there is a market for a 3D printed shank to fit the Dapol easi shunt hinged claw?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:18:28 PM by Fredastaire »

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal