!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Got fed up waiting !  (Read 315 times)

Offline Too old to die young

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Got fed up waiting !
« on: January 23, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
I have been hanging on to find up what the price and availability of the new Peco Pl-1000 twistlock point motors will be. I have now ordered a dozen Cobalt IP Analogues (don't need the digital ones) from good old Hattons as I cannot wait any longer. I was looking for an easy answer and it seemed like the Pecos would have been easy to fit. I will just have to take my time and do the job slowly. Do you think I have made the correct decision?

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Got fed up waiting !
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
The answer is very subjective.

I think solenoid motors stink, so I use Tortoises(I live in the US) in the UK I would probably have gone for Cobalts.

If you're happy then you have made the correct decision.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 02:52:32 PM »
I have no probs with using solenoids.  So far I can't see any real advantages for me personally in moving to the Twistlocks as I don't struggle with the old design - other than the limited throw of N points makes adjusting accessory contacts tricky. At some point I will have to get a couple to play with I guess, and see if accessory contacts are any better/easier.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »
Good move to Cobalts, no soldering required either which make life a lot easier for some who don't like soldering. Cobalt motors have been on b/o for a while, I think they are coming available again now, I managed to buy 7 of the Digital ones plus a couple of AD2fx to use with a few of the anolouge ones I already have from the old layout. Another plus is the switches work for control of frogs.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 06:14:54 AM »
Cobalt motors have been on b/o for a while, I think they are coming available again now
The IP Digital Cobalts have been on backorder (they always had a stock of analog ones) but they are now available and in stock. I just got a shipping confirmation a couple of days ago that my long-awaited 25 motors are on their way to California!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:59:16 AM »
I have no probs with using solenoids.  So far I can't see any real advantages for me personally in moving to the Twistlocks as I don't struggle with the old design - other than the limited throw of N points makes adjusting accessory contacts tricky. At some point I will have to get a couple to play with I guess, and see if accessory contacts are any better/easier.

Yeah, I agree. The movement of points blades In N gauge is like minimal, and a sudden flick over doesn't worry me at all.

Locomotives running through them is what counts.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal