!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Signs (and ghost signs)  (Read 108 times)

Offline hatter3127

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25954
    • Awards
Signs (and ghost signs)
« on: January 16, 2020, 05:53:03 PM »
After some advice. Looking at recreating "ghost signs" on buildings. Not looking particularly as in older signs, but looking as in more modern signage, for example on TMDs when they've swapped owner ship from the former BR to post privatisation owners, there'd be almost a "tide mark" that shows the original paint colour of the building. Was wondering if anybody could help with how go about achieving this. Thanks.

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: Signs (and ghost signs)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
Never seen modern versions modelled @hatter3127, however I'm not a fountain of knowledge!!!!

Ive never tried or even know how difficult it could be but I'd have a go by.. .....

Trialling printing onto waterslide paper. IF we were trying to replicate the Staples building I would

Paint my building a toned down red, print my text onto waterslide paper using a brighter red BUT with a blurred outline, hopefully the colour variation in the blurring would self weather the edges if the text.

Apply to building, matt varnish and weather the building going lightly round the edges of your decal.

:hmmm:

Never done anything like it so cant say for sure it would work or even look remotely realistic

Offline hatter3127

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25954
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 07:05:58 PM »
See I thought about going about it the other way, which is to print the sign as such, weather down the building, then remove the sign. Itís just how to make it sun bleached as such that bothers me.

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »
Practice practice practice.

Like I say I dont know if my suggestion would even work let alone look realistic.

I worry if you fix the sign and then weather down it's how well the sign can be removed without damaging your weathered building?

You airbrushing the building or brush painting???
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:15:24 PM by exmouthcraig »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:13:29 PM »
See I thought about going about it the other way, which is to print the sign as such, weather down the building, then remove the sign.

That could be a very novel approach.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 06:42:12 AM »
Practice practice practice.
Like I say I dont know if my suggestion would even work let alone look realistic.
I worry if you fix the sign and then weather down it's how well the sign can be removed without damaging your weathered building?

Tackywax might do the trick - provided the edges are held down adequately to avoid too much paint flowing underneath.
A little bit of underflow might work OK anyway, I doubt that many signs have a waterproof seal between them and the wall so some dirt streaks could be realistic

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
January Donations

Advertise Here