!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol CL66 The Flying Dustman (GBRF Biffa)  (Read 191 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Dapol CL66 The Flying Dustman (GBRF Biffa)
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:04:38 AM »
Hi,

My other half kindly got me one of these for my birthday/christmas present.

I thought I'd add a review as this is one of the Dapol 66's that has been upgraded with a Next18 DCC socket.

So first here it is posed straight out of the box with some wagons.

The livery looks good to me and everything is printed pretty well.

As the loco has a Next18 socket Dapol have redone the circuit board and lights to allow independent control of the head and tail lights allowing more prototypical lighting.
This feature is available on DC as well as DCC as they have put a switch in the loco to control the lights on DC. I believe this is the default now for all the recent Gaugemaster collection 66's and the EWS 66 released as a trainset with the Megafret wagons.

As I use DCC the next task was to pop the body off to add a chip. The body came off easily and revealed this.

A brand new PCB design and as an added bonus they have got rid of those awful 3 wire connectors and replaced then with 3 copper contact strips to transfer the lighting signals to the body shell. This means that it should be much harder to b**ger the lighting when removing the body shell. I have 3 class 86's waiting lighting repairs for this very reason.

In addition the body halves have helpful arrows so you don't get back and front mixed up.

And the DCC blanking panel includes the lighting switch for those operating with DC.

Once the loco has been chipped (Zimo MX618N18 for me) F0 turns on the directional front lights, F1 turns on the rear headlights, and F2 turns on the rear tail lights. As I use a Z21 then that's all I need to do for DCC for now. If you use a DCC controller where F2 is a non-latching button used for the train horn, then some function mapping/CV programming will be necessary to get the rear tail lights to turn on and stay on.

I haven't had time to run it in properly yet as I've spent most of my train shed time over the past 3 days tracking down a short circuit that mysteriously appeared. It's no longer a mystery, I joggled some wires when having a tidy up on part of the layout.

Anyhow here's another shot with some wagons received from my kids for Christmas

I follow up on its hauling capability in another post.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline Graham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
Re: Dapol CL66 The Flying Dustman (GBRF Biffa)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 05:10:28 AM »
they are a lovely loco, and the new pcb makes a big difference to me. only down side I could point to was the advertising mentioned all wheel drive where only the outer wheels of each bogy drive. Still has reasonable pulling power.

Offline Vonzack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:01:37 AM »
Thanks for the pics of the internals on these. Glad to see the awful lighting wires replaced with contacts.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »
Agree, thatís a major improvement! Shame thereís not speaker space.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
January Donations

Advertise Here