!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Britain's least used railway stations  (Read 270 times)

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Britain's least used railway stations
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:54:00 PM »
WOW WOW WOW
They've doubled the service frequency at Reddish South!?

Last time I rode that train there were at least 10 passengers. (Reddish South is right next to my sons house so I took the train last time we visited).

BUT I find it annoying that they implicate Northern for a poor service, it's nowt to do with the franchise holder.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:44:32 PM »
Thers a youtube channel  channel visiting englands least used stations,that should skew the figures a bit
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt4q5oaptyI9U2zddss8dm8srzuJj6nRz
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:47:19 PM by themadhippy »

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:51:08 PM »
In the article it states:

"Several stations are kept open despite being rarely used because it is easier to arrange for a train to stop infrequently than obtain permission for closure."

This article discussing so called 'ghost trains' may be of relevant interest
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_train

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 05:07:27 PM »
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/britain-least-used-railway-stations-101640380.html

This is how Beeching's report got started...

To be fair they've produced this information for years.

There are some oddities - Dorking West was among the least used one year, but that's because the overwhelming majority of tickets are for "Dorking Stations", rather than specifically for Dorking West.

Online stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 05:08:51 PM »
You have to wonder how much some of these stations have been "sabotaged". Our local station is used, but nowhere near as much as it used to be.

When I used it daily in the '90s there was a large station building/stationmaster's house on one side (pretty well identical to the Metcalfe Country Station) and a smaller one on the other. Both dated from 1872 and had a parcels office, a ticket office and two waiting rooms. The smaller one had a large and long canopy. There were often 50 to 70 people waiting to get on and all sheltered.

Then they sold off the larger building, which had its size doubled (very well matched in too) to turn it into a pub/restaurant, while the smaller one was demolished to make an access from the car park, over a new bridge and straight into the pub. A new (plastic) ticket office was placed up near the road, to serve both platforms and the only covered areas for passengers were a pair of plastic shelters, that could only hold about a dozen people, sloped backwards and which were masticed to the platform, so filled 2" to 3" deep with water on rainy days. Within months the number of passengers waiting fell to about a dozen.

Some years later, the pub (which was struggling financially), mysteriously burned down in the night. The rubble remained for years, as the insurance company refused to pay out.

The land has since been sold off for housing.

Offline njee20

• N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:30:21 PM »
Isn't that a bit chicken and egg? I can't imagine people would actually stop using a station because there wasn't a proper station building. If a station's in the right place I'd wait on a patch of dirt and flag the train down by hand!

Arguably it may have been a decline in services leading a decline in passengers (obviously).

Online stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 08:33:29 PM »
No. The demolition of the existing building and canopy and fencing off of the other building and its waiting areas and the replacement with shelters that were too small and flooded when it rained meant that passengers who were previously sheltered, were left standing on a cold, wet platform, in the wind and rain and many simply decided to use alternative transport. I know from experience that driving into the city centre was just as quick as the train (quicker when you removed the element of walking to and from the stations at each end) and I would have switched under the circumstances, but I only had occasional use of the car at that time. The decline from 50 to 70 waiting to around a dozen took place over only a few months and immediately followed the removal of the existing building.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:35:15 PM by stevewalker »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:37:17 PM »
I had to laugh at the suggestion that Redcar's usage was up on last year because people were going there just to see the country's least used station!!!

I remember I ended up there once in me college days when I fell asleep on the train after a big night.  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 02:08:11 AM »
I think it was REDCAR BRITISH STEEL rather than REDCAR
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 02:33:16 AM »
Wouldn't that be the same?

I've been away for a while
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 05:24:14 AM »
Thers a youtube channel  channel visiting englands least used stations,that should skew the figures a bit
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt4q5oaptyI9U2zddss8dm8srzuJj6nRz
Geoff and Vicky are fun to watch - they don't just visit underused stations, they also have videos of their trip visiting every station on the UK network, and challenges or races walking between London tube stops rather than riding the train, visiting all the "Platform 0"'s that there are, a lot of others. Very entertaining.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 08:41:53 AM »
Berney Arms station is the least used in  the country..
Why?
For the last year 0 passengers because the  line is being rebuilt.. When it's open there aren't that many because it's several miles to the nearest public road. just walkers across the marshes, and from the boat moorings by the pub.

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »

Arguably it may have been a decline in services leading a decline in passengers (obviously).
[/quote]

I live next door to Havenhouse (near the top of the list) and a mile walk to the nearest bus stop.  We get a 7:15 and 16:00 to Nottingham and a 9:00 and 6:00 to Skegness - not very useful.  I have pleaded with the Railway Authorities to stop more trains, even on request, like they used to, but the answer is always 'not cost effective'.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything