!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New DCC design  (Read 258 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
New DCC design
« on: January 01, 2020, 05:18:27 AM »
Just a heads up mainly for Aussie members, I guess, but I know that these designs usually end up in the British magazine Everyday Electronics too.

The January issue of Silicon Chip has a DCC controller project based on an Arduino Uno and two shields which you construct yourself.

I haven't had a chance to check it out in detail (newsagent closed, being New Years Day), but it looks interesting.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 05:21:04 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New DCC design
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »
Add DCC to your model train layout with Arduino! - January 2020 - Silicon Chip Online
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2020/January/Add+DCC+to+your+model+train+layout+with+Arduino%21?res=nonflash

Probably easier to use the well established DCC++ which does all that with one generic motor shield but still nice to see model rail getting a mention.

NGM

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: New DCC design
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:07:01 PM »
Yes I would concur with @N_GaugeModeller that the arduino with DCC++ is very good. So good that I've recently replaced one of my controllers with an arduino/dcc++ and JMRI system. I have plans for a second one - at about ten quid for a dcc system, I think its excellent. OK, its low powered but for us in the N gauge world its not a massive problem. And easily rectified with a better motor shield.
And whats more, if I can manage to put it together then it must be straight forward. There are some very good tutorials on youtube.
Cheers
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal