!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modern Freightliner Intermodal Rakes  (Read 2111 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Modern Freightliner Intermodal Rakes
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 09:18:23 AM »
Route of 6D51, via Edale, Sheffield, Chesterfield, Derby. Seems quite a long way around, but Stockport would be even further!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »
Gareth noted 6D51 was routed via the mid cheshire and altrincham. Interesting points re these Imoportant wagons

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
Yes, the proliferation of 40ft boxes means the FWA definitely make sense, but it's interesting that FSA/FTAs are definitely more common than FEAs.
To be honest on all but a few intermodal routes the infrastructure is capable of allowing W10 gauged traffic (FSA/FTA wagons with high cube containers), the FEA wagons came about as some of these routes couldn't take W10 gauged trains. I cannot remember the exact difference but FEAs have a lower deck height than the FSA/FTA so could use more restrictive routes, but of course that's not much of an issue these days.

I suspected routing would be via northwich,  altrincham, stockport, edale on 6D51
Only one difference to that route the train didn't pass through Stockport it comes off the Altrincham line at Northernden Junction and joins the Hope Valley line at Hazel Grove.
Network rail do hold the train ID 6D51 as their own for movement of engineering related trains moving to/from Toton so ours ran from Basford Hall the one @njee20 has highlighted is to Toton but from Dowlow, it's the customer and the final destination that is important in this case as the same ID could be applied to a DB operated service between Doncaster and Toton.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2020, 09:34:39 AM »
Ah okay gareth that would make sense avoiding stockport running via northenden to hazel grove and nick thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:38:32 AM by crewearpley40 »

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 12:21:07 PM »
Interesting stuff Gareth, now if you can just make note of more rakes full of Ecofrets (for when our N gauge CAD is finished) ;-)

Cheers M

Offline Arran

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2020, 01:50:21 PM »
HI All

FEA deck height above the rail 980mm and the FSA FTA 977 mm so essentially the same.

Regards Arran

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2020, 02:27:15 PM »
HI All

FEA deck height above the rail 980mm and the FSA FTA 977 mm so essentially the same.

Regards Arran

I will profess to your knowledge you been a wagon gremlin I took the height difference off a lad that works in the yard, although the gauging restriction is there I am curious as to what has and still on some routes causes it.

Interesting stuff Gareth, now if you can just make note of more rakes full of Ecofrets (for when our N gauge CAD is finished) ;-)

I will just the drivers on the Southampton - Trafford Park (departing Crewe S.S.N at 1802) and the returning service which routes via Stoke seem to be a tidy bunch who don;t want to hand me their TOPS sheets, so I will have to do the system search myself!
But if your been this demanding you will be asking me for design drawings for the MXA wagons next  :o

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2020, 02:37:45 PM »
Good luck with that search gareth. Thanks for keeping us informed today. Be an interesting modelling project

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »
Hi all,

Well nor forgotten about the topic, but as you can imagine we are other whys engaged right now on the railways!
I have done my first shift of 4 after booking my last lot off for a birthday boozer, which well that went to rat  :poop:

So any way on to a lighter note:

66415 "YOU ARE NEVER ALONE" aptly enough for the current world we live in waits for its driver at Crewe Basford Hall (North) whilst in charge of a full 32 wagon FWA (Ecofret) rake on the Southampton - Trafford Park Service, this service was lightly loaded but as with all our services regardless of load we are running them so any and all supplies get to where they are needed asap!

Sadly though some people don't seem to have got the memo to stay at home, walking 10m from your car to the fence around the yard doesn't count as exercise, and will result in a very direct and not very polite demand to go away! All of us on the railway working as key staff have to run the risks posed by this virus and do what we can to get the supplies to where they are needed this includes medical stores knowing the risks we are exposed to.
Please don't make our jobs and more importantly the jobs and lives of our amazing NHS staff even harder than it already is by ignoring what you have been TOLD to do, when this passes the trains will still be there!!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:23:58 PM by acko22 »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »
Thanks gareth. Very well said. Look after yourself and mrs acko

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2020, 10:48:15 PM »
Hi all,

So my second shift of four and its fair to say we are at full pelt! Sadly no pics or in depth detail today more of an update if anything.

As many of you will know in normal times Basford Hall is generally geared toward weekend engineering works at the weekend with inter-modal services put in the holding sidings, well this isn't the case right at the moment, today there was only 4 engineering trains been prepared for operation to carry out essential works only the rest of the yard working to the movement of essential goods.
As such there was no let up in the flow of containers with all rail freight operators mucking in, one flow that will become a daily site is of industrial alcohol for the production of hand wash from a North West chemical plant which has switched production to aid in the supply of much needed hand wash.
Today it was ran hauled by DB but it will be ran by any operator such is the effort that the industry is putting in, as an example some interesting figure came out earlier today since Monday combined the rail freight operators has moved 377,000 tons of essential cargoes from yards based around London to the South West and Wales to give you an idea that's almost half of what Freightliner moved in inter-modal traffic during 2015!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:47:07 PM by acko22 »

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »
Hi all,

So finished my set of 4 shifts yesterday morning and on a professional note I can say I am glad that I have a few days off as it has been full on with all of us basically working on what ever was needed to get things turned around asap including touching some wagons (we are loco fitters so normally we avoid wagon fleet).On a personal note however I can say the need is there so crack on and get it done and keep the trains rolling which they really are going at some pace with additional flows, all paths booked been utilised and locos working on minimum down time!

But not too much info really just some snaps I managed to get before we had to be off site as part of our isolation steps between shifts:

90042 lifted for a full spring and wheel set change - Normally a job left for the day shifts but with the needs been what they are work carried on through the night

86607 in for a B exam and traction motor flash over repairs which were picked up on the exam (A job i don't enjoy as even for me its a cramped space to get into to carry out the required repair work)

66552 "Maltby Raider" in for engine repairs - this work been done by our dedicated level 5 repair team as it's fair to say its a big job which has involved the change out of most major components due to wear and tear been found as they worked on the loco.

66592 (Rubbish pic but was using a cheap camera) the loco I spent most the night on locating and fixing a fault on the AWS and TPWS systems and testing to allow it to get back out into service

And now for some rubbish night light pictures using a cheap camera  :confused1:

66592 and on road 1 and our scrap / donor former virgin 86/2 which hasn't got much left to give now so due to be saying good bye forever soon  :dighole:

A few of the AC fleet stabled awaiting their next service, generally at Crewe any service which starts in Southampton en route to Scotland changes traction here which 2 of the 90s were destined to take control of shortly after I left site, with the exception of 86610 which is currently stored all the AC locos not in shed are ready for use one of the class 86 pairs had recently come in on a southbound service from Scotland and were relieved by 66418 PATRIOT for the rest of the journey to Southampton

over on the DRS holding siding there was some unusual movements, some flasks were on site with 2 come in from Sellafield and one from somewhere south been coupled up before disappearing (not sure in which direction), but a move was made of 5 locos from Gresty Bridge into the siding which then later yesterday headed north to Carlisle, while a move between depots like this aren't odd we do them between Crewe and Leeds often ourselves it is odd for DRS to bring them round into the sidings the night before, so i can only guess they needed the room on depot for other stuff

And finally again sadly the camera wasn't up to the job of a decent night time pic - A view of Basford Hall from the staff footbridge over the through freight lines while you can't make out much normally the yard is full of container trains and with everything going on the trains are either en route or in the process of been loaded/unloaded in terminals and ports.

Off to the right of the picture just out of view is our fuel point actually on the yard itself close to where the former Crewe S.S.M signal box is located.
In that picture as I say the yard is very empty only 20 minutes before had it would have looked different, we had 2 intermodal trains sat on the down slow (northbound) through line waiting for the go ahead to move to terminal, such has been the flow of freight traffic that the terminal these trains were heading to had to hold off trains as they had reached capacity and needed time to clear space of goods in and out. So I bet they were well happy when they opened the site back up to incoming rail traffic to be greeted with 2 trains at once!  :no:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:30:38 AM by acko22 »

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »
Fascinating stuff @acko22 just highlights how much we as a nation rely on all of this stuff being in the right place at the right time.

Enjoy your downtime, who knows what you'll be heading back too next week  :hmmm:

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:48 AM »
Seconded. Family first gareth. Appreciate the insight

Offline acko22

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »
Hi all,

So enjoying my days off while I can, but to give an idea od how busy it for the rail freight sector as a whole:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/stories/crucial-supplies-keep-moving-on-one-of-europes-busiest-railways

In the past week over 1.2 million tonnes of freight have passed over the WCML! with 21,000t going to Scotland and Trafford Park each day

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal