!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New replacement light bar with plug for Dapol coaches  (Read 999 times)

Offline daytona

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New replacement light bar with plug for Dapol coaches
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 11:41:28 PM »
again good 1 Bob , as regards to the capacitors wonder if possible to wire a capacitor into the dapol light bars,anybody tried this   

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 09:17:37 AM »
A supplementary question - I have read in this thread that wires with a plug to fit the Dapol coach socket are available.  I can't trace any.  Can anyone help?

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »
If you’re not looking for the whole kit (see first post), including light bar, but only the wires, just look on eBay for JST 1.25 (=pin distance) 3 pin. You can just pull the middle, black wire.
Coreless 12V mini motors at tramfabriek.nl

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 09:41:43 AM »
again good 1 Bob , as regards to the capacitors wonder if possible to wire a capacitor into the dapol light bars,anybody tried this   

In theory it is possible, but i'm not an electronics guru at all. I just follow instructions.
You would have to find out which is the positive side of the LEDs and wire the positive side of the capacitor to that side, I think you would have to do it after the diode bridge, so not at the connections to the lightbar itself.

Bob

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 09:50:14 AM »
Nice write up, Bob! I'm very happy that you liked them. Train-O-Matic is still relatively unknown in this country, but that will change. They make excellent products.
I looked at your website - tramfabriek.nl - and I see you supply replacement N gauge motors too, for Minitrix, Fleischmann and Dapol locos. Very useful.
Keep up the good work.
Bob

Offline DCCDave

• N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
Anyone know if these work with LBR Gresleys?

Cheers
Dave

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 10:31:16 AM »
Anyone know if these work with LBR Gresleys?

Cheers
Dave

I see no reason why not. They can be shortened from eight LEDs down to four LEDs, and you dont need the capacitor - that is just to make them better than the Dapol standard model. I found it easier to fit them to the coach rather than the roof, and if you have a toilet area or a brake end area they are ideal locations for the capacitor. Otherwise the cap sits in a compartment (the same way that the plug and play light bar connector box does). These are not quite plug and play, but nearly so. I believe it is called modelling, but I'm not sure :)
Best
Bob

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 11:13:21 AM »
If you’re not looking for the whole kit (see first post), including light bar, but only the wires, just look on eBay for JST 1.25 (=pin distance) 3 pin. You can just pull the middle, black wire.

Thank you.  The main reason I asked was because of the large price difference between 5 units with wires  (47.50 ) and 5 without (30.00)

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »
Ah, I see what you mean. I've actually been sending everyone who ordered 4 or more one light bar for free, but haven't listed that on the website. Surprise and delight. But that was an offer that was valid for all light bars until the end of 2019. Prices for 2020 have changed for the individual light bars, but just haven't gotten to it to adjust it. If you still want to order 4 for the price of 5, I'll extend it to today.

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 11:40:27 AM »
If you still want to order 4 for the price of 5, I'll extend it to today.

Thank you

Order just placed

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »
Thanks! I will be sending it out today and if the post works along, hopefully you can start on it tomorrow.

Offline DCCDave

• N gauge transition era DCC
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »
So I've ordered and received one of these light 'bars' to use with a Dapol LBR Gresley.

The instructions seem straight forward, but I'd like to introduce a DCC decoder to allow me to switch on/off the lights remotely. I'm assuming the track feed goes into the decoder and the outputs are wired to the light bar. Question is if I want to use the capacitors for flicker free operation do I attach the capacitor between the pickups and the decoder, or between the  decoder and the light bar, or in the position indicated in the instructions?

Cheers
Dave

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »
The capacitor goes in the same place as indicated. You'll blow the capacitor and maybe decoder as well, if you would put it as you suggest. The capacitor should send extra power to the light, not to the decoder.  :goggleeyes:

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2020, 04:55:33 AM »
I have just jumped in and
So not sure what has gone before or which instructions are being referred to, but if using a decoder, that also need the benefit of any capacitor and it should be fitted as a stay alive capacitor according to the decoder  manufacturer instructions, possibly with some other additional components, then both the decoder and light bar will benefit from the stored energy. Zimbabwe supply a stay alive kit for their decided to which you add as much capacitance as you need in your application. These stay alives are normally wired between the common positive and ground connections to the decoder, which is after the on board rectifiers, so are dc connections.

Offline Sven

• Facebook
    • Tramfabriek
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2020, 09:28:33 AM »
I think I need to clarify: The capacitors supplied with the Tramfabriek light bar are not intended to use as "stay alive" for a decoder. Only for the lights. If you need real back up power for your motor (and not this fraction of a second so called "stay alive" capacitors), use a Smart Powerpack (SPP).

Let's keep the discussion in this thread to the light bar, please, not to a powerpack for the motor.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal