!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: FINALLY the layout is starting to progress (SR theme 1959-63)  (Read 4275 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: FINALLY the layout is starting to progress (SR theme 1959-63)
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2020, 08:43:03 AM »
Typical Bank Holiday rail upgrades taking place!!! With a full network takeover we have

N class Mogul 31841 at the head of 16 dogfish wagons
N class Mogul 31835 at the head of the crane, service coach and 3 brand new sturgeons
N class Mogul 31844 at the head of 12 grampus wagons
Bulleid WC 34002 at the head of 6 sturgeons loaded with new track panels

Looks like a busy weekend for the boys!!!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »
That's what I  call proper civil engineering trains.

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2020, 01:00:56 PM »
Typical rail company lack of communication...

...no-one told the poor old passengers waiting on the platform!
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
Their some local spotters come to see some fine Exmouth Junction allocated engines working east for a change.

The Salisbury lot are yet to arrive!!!!  :D

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »
Well the engineering works have over run and will continue to do so. The line will not be handed back at 4am monday morning as they havent even got the baseboard deck finished yet  :doh: and people thought it was only Network Rail that was bad  :-[

Yesterday revealed something interesting to us, we recently purchased a photo collection which has given us a huge amount of details that have been missing around the goods yard and loco shed.

Some written articles we managed to glean from mid and late 70s Railway Modeller matched with a plan from 1952 we have of the rail layout. In these articles a pair of oil tanks were mentioned, we have seen pieces of these in photos so knew vaguely what they looked like. These were not horizontal tanks like we know of but big cylindrical type that stood 20ft tall and were 30ft diameter tanks. Now these appear on our 1952 plan, but disappeared in 1965 which is no surprise as lots had gone by then even the goods shed and yard. In the written articles he states that these tanks were cut up and removed, which we assumed to be late 50s.

However pictures we now have dated from May 1961 so slap bang in the middle of our time period and surprisingly the tanks are still there.

A quick measure up and rattle can caps worked out to be the perfect size standing 21ft tall and exactly 30ft diameter so with enough of a footing to bury into the board I've added the retaining bands, gauardrails, ladder access and 3 vents of some description which weve been able to kind of work out from some

I've tried to replicate a sun bleached lid and touch up of paint along with sections that have flaked off and been repainted. Shes due a quick mist of grime and then no. 2 to produce.

I'm going to add a bit of a bund around the two of them, I dont know what oil storage was like, restriction wise in the 50s but I would imagine they would of have some sort of safety feature around them  :hmmm:

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2020, 02:59:13 PM »

Another 12hr shunting shift begins.

Fred Cole is behind the controls of 30954 with fireman Peter Blake by his side and Henry Turner on the shunters truck reaching over for his shunters pole

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal