!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: FINALLY the layout is starting to progress (SR theme 1959-63)  (Read 4236 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: FINALLY the layout is starting to progress (SR theme 1959-63)
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »
 :doh: I meant MONEY  :sorrysign:

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »
so you should be .....

young whippersnapper....

show some respect to your elders and betters  ;D
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »
Craig - just caught up with this thread and it's looking great so far. Good luck with the next board! Keep the photos coming - more  :photospleasesign: ! Darren
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »
Thanks @DarrwestLU6 yours is racing on at quite a lick now!!!!  :beers:

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2020, 05:45:44 PM »
Well this was last updated on Jan 3!!!!!!

The last few weeks I've spent working on Clifton Wood as I became disillusioned with this massive layout.

Over the last few weeks serious conversations with dad have taken place about whether we jack the whole lot, flog off everything and see what we do. Like most of us it would net some serious income if everything sold BUT.......its taken 10years to get to this point, no matter how much we get for the stock, we arent getting that time back!!!

Clifton Wood has been a very enjoyable build and is nearing completion which is great, hopefully a few people will enjoy seeing it in its completed state.

But we are BR (S) modellers, I know every single inch of the mile and half this layout is to depict. That stuff doesnt fall out of your head and with delivery this year of my sturgeons and 3 exquisite built Z class locos courtesy of @Dr Al it becomes quite hard to see the sense in giving up.

Well today the decision has been made. Clifton Wood will get finished and if the supply chain keeps up and I'm still struggling to fill the days it wont be far away very soon. That then becomes the play thing it was built for and work turns back to the monster.

So this afternoon as I completed the wiring on Clifton, I swapped the boards over and got to see board 3 for the first time in a while.

With my Zs addresses renumbered for dcc I had to have a play! So out came the sturgeons as well. Well if you've got it  ;)

The Cornwall Rail Society have provided some useful information for the last few years of steam heading down 'The Withered Arm' and west of Bournemouth. 1 picture that grabbed my attention a very good while ago was this at the top of the 1:37 bank into Exeter Central

A quick conversation with Mike of revolutioN and he suggested that the wagons with the track panels could  be sturgeons and recommended that I buy them as the order book was open. My order was duly placed and today referring back to the photo, albeit a damn good few miles up the line I have recreated this, only with 3 sturgeons, if I put 6 on we wouldnt of got any focus on anything

30955 Z class
34077 BoB
Shark
3x sturgeons loaded with code 40 panels
Shark
30952 Z class

So finally the impetus to complete this is back and we still plan to have over half the track laid and wired for Christmas  :uneasy:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:05:21 PM by exmouthcraig »

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »
Inspiring craig. You and dad keep going. Love the model and Mike must have advised you well. Seriously will be following this thread. Keep up the good work

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2020, 07:08:59 PM »

But we are BR (S) modellers, I know every single inch of the mile and half this layout is to depict. That stuff doesnt fall out of your head and with delivery this year of my sturgeons and 3 exquisite built Z class locos courtesy of @Dr Al it becomes quite hard to see the sense in giving up.

Great stuff, Craig.  I wondered if these superb locomotives might have been for you.  I followed @Dr Al 's posts regarding their construction with great interest.

Best Wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2020, 07:16:01 PM »
@Train Waiting seriously John they are ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT they were sent to Alan with the brief of

Fit as much detail as you physically can and what's worth spending time and money in putting on them

The work that this man puts into them is phenomenal and they were most definitely worth the wait.

I only hope now is that I can build the layout they deserve!!!!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2020, 10:09:16 PM »

...I only hope now is that I can build the layout they deserve!!!!

I'm certain you can!

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2020, 10:28:57 PM »
Well this was last updated on Jan 3!!!!!!

The last few weeks I've spent working on Clifton Wood as I became disillusioned with this massive layout.

Over the last few weeks serious conversations with dad have taken place about whether we jack the whole lot, flog off everything and see what we do. Like most of us it would net some serious income if everything sold BUT.......its taken 10years to get to this point, no matter how much we get for the stock, we arent getting that time back!!!

Clifton Wood has been a very enjoyable build and is nearing completion which is great, hopefully a few people will enjoy seeing it in its completed state.

Well today the decision has been made. Clifton Wood will get finished and if the supply chain keeps up and I'm still struggling to fill the days it wont be far away very soon. That then becomes the play thing it was built for and work turns back to the monster.

So this afternoon as I completed the wiring on Clifton, I swapped the boards over and got to see board 3 for the first time in a while.

With my Zs addresses renumbered for dcc I had to have a play! So out came the sturgeons as well. Well if you've got it  ;)

The Cornwall Rail Society have provided some useful information for the last few years of steam heading down 'The Withered Arm' and west of Bournemouth. 1 picture that grabbed my attention a very good while ago was this at the top of the 1:37 bank into Exeter Central

A quick conversation with Mike of revolutioN and he suggested that the wagons with the track panels could  be sturgeons and recommended that I buy them as the order book was open. My order was duly placed and today referring back to the photo, albeit a damn good few miles up the line I have recreated this, only with 3 sturgeons, if I put 6 on we wouldnt of got any focus on anything

30955 Z class
34077 BoB
Shark
3x sturgeons loaded with code 40 panels
Shark
30952 Z class

So finally the impetus to complete this is back and we still plan to have over half the track laid and wired for Christmas  :uneasy:

Hi Craig

Where does your track plan start and finish?
I've seen the ash plant model you made so it must include Exmouth Junction shed (all of it????), but how far each way?
When I lived in Exeter from 1982 - 1988, I rented on Priory Road, which is just south of the railway line south of the former shed. it was a deep cutting there, just before the tunnel mouth of Blackboy tunnel. It was so deep, you couldn't even see the trains from the back alley at the back of the houses.
We had a Leos supermarket where the engine shed was, but there were still some sidings at that time.

Best regards
Bob

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
@Bob G my model of Exmouth junction coaling tower was built just as something to build.

The Junction shed was 270ft long had 13 roads and 142 locos on the roster.

Mum and Dad live not far from the old site and yep know lots of the history of that wonderful part of the world.

The cutting into the Black Boy tunnel is huge, and it's a decent length tunnel too!!!

I was asked before if I was building Exmouth junction shed, as it would scale out to about 16ft x 4ft even I'd struggle for space for that, let alone building it!!!!

The sidings there were over spill for Exeter Riverside and also the Speedlink operated Coal Concentration depot, which I think was still there in that time???

Were quite a bit further up the line then Exmouth but to get prototypical workings, theres a wealth of information relating to the traffic at Central heading UP. So the mile and half weve picked you end up collect ting information relating to a 50mile radius to try and make sure everything included!!!

IF this year goes to plan, and if Covid is still here come the summer 2/3s of the layout will be laid and most people will work out exactly where we are  :hmmm:

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2020, 11:01:44 PM »
I have been watching Clifton Wood's progress, and will be really interested to follow this. sounds like a good plan.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »
@Graham well this moves a bit more glacial than Clifton Wood but HOPEFULLY we can make very good progress in the next few months  :uneasy:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2020, 12:01:55 AM »
Great stuff, Craig. Another  :thumbsup: from Downunder.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2020, 03:57:55 PM »
Well today's been a busy day, admittedly not the best for showing individual weathering on each loco but I've made a start of working through the fleet.

The Zs I can take no credit for as they were commissioned and Dr Al carried out that work

We have ......so far......

1x M7
1x Pannier tank
1x 2MT
1x 4MTT
3x Z class
3x N class Moguls
1x Schools
1x Merchant Navy (renumbered to represent a BoB)

All have or will have
Headcode discs
Loco crew
Real coal
All detailing packs fitted
Many have been renumbered to suit shed allocation

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP