!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Newbie building advice  (Read 181 times)

Offline Jelly

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Newbie building advice
« on: December 03, 2019, 11:21:56 AM »
Hi all, first post here. Thanks to the great model railway challenge my children wanted a train set for christmas. I used to have an N gauge layout when I was little, so was all for the idea. Then I looked into it and realised that it wasnt as simple as buying a train set! Anyway, the upshot is the scenery will be a big part of it for them. We will do this over time together, but given the eye watering cost so far to get them a layout and engines as a starting point I wanted to make a start on some buildings to give it a bit of life initially.

I've made a bridge from 'In the Greenwood', and an Ancorton Cottage both of which Im very pleased with, but I dont really want to be spending that kind of amount on every building so I've made a start on scratch building a farm. Ive been using some textured plastic brick, stone and tile sheets I got from ebay, made by Kibi. Whilst these are ok they are are quite thick plastic, which makes it tough to cut, particularly windows apertures.

My (first of many no doubt) question is are there any similar textured sheets on thinner plastic (the ones I have are about 2mm), or even better can you get laser cut wood textured sheets from anywhere, such as the brick on my Ancorton and In the Greenwood kits which look excellent now Ive painted and weathered them?

EDIT: Here are some pictures of the two kits Ive built along with the farm I'm scratch building. The thick plastic is giving me problems on some of the joints and finer areas. I think they will be ok once I have sanded, filled and painted them properly but an easier building material would make life much easier.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:31:55 AM by Jelly »

Offline Jelly

• Awards
Re: Newbie building advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 11:32:45 AM »
..and the farm Ive made a start on

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »
I’d suggest Slaters Plasticard

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Jelly

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 12:06:12 PM »
thank you, will get a couple of sheets of that to try

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »
Yes, there is a wide variety of embossed plastic sheets for brick, stone, roofing etc. out there,  Slaters being one of the better known brands.

As you say, some of the stuff you can buy is quite thick (the Ratio offerings come to mind), but that can be useful for things like retaining walls where you need a bit of strength.   

I'd suggest buy in a little selection of different types of sheet aimed at N scale modelling and see how you get on.  Looks like you've made a great start!  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
Welcome jelly
 Worth a look at ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493 and i ech ntpntp ' s comments which i need not add to

Offline Jelly

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »
Thank you both, I've ordered a selection of the Slaters sheets so will see how I get on with them

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 02:04:24 PM »
Modelscenerysupplies do some but you can buy ready to plant buildings

Offline Jelly

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »
Thanks Ive ordered some Slater and also some Redutex sheets which look like they might be ideal

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 09:30:17 PM »
Don't forget card, you can download Scalescenes brick, stone and tile images which you then print either direct to card or to A4 label stock tat you can stick to blank card; at normal viewing distances N gauge textured plastic is not essential especialy toward trhe back of a layout, the roof is the most noticeable part so I tend to use plasticard tile/slates  over card walls.

A couple of threads that may be of help, also some photos of buildings  made from card and pllasticard.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47473.0

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38379.0
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 11:40:07 PM »
For downloads of brick, stone, etc. I find textures.com invaluable. You do have to have a little savvy with resizing images and copy-and-paste in a basic image editing program to get the full value, but there is a free subscription which I use and I've been really happy with what I've done with the content.

Can't beat free! (Cost of paper and ink aside).

Welcome to the forum, too! A great spot for all kinds of help and advice. :bounce:

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
Hi Jelly and welcome to the forum. I quite like the Redutex sheets, which I usually glue to a base card. Here is an example of the red brick -

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything