!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sticking (plastic) kits together  (Read 414 times)

Online thephatmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Sticking (plastic) kits together
« on: December 01, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »
Morning all,

I'd be grateful for your tips on assembly of kits. I have two questions - adhesive and support.

I'm putting together some printed kits of my own (trams https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47448.msg604562#msg604562) and of others (rolling stock) The best way to print such kits is often in pieces. You then end up with 5-6 sides of a cube which need aligning and gluing...

on adhesive....

I've had a rummage through the "sticking stuff together box" - see attachment - and seem to only have the bookends of the adhesive world - epoxies (JB weld and the like) or pritt-sticks.

Am I being silly to conclude I need to get some good old fashioned superglue?

on support...

How does one go about getting all the sides of kits lined up - so far I've tried hot-glue, as it stays workable for aligning... I am also eyeing up blu-tac to hold things while glued...

Can one fabricate some kind of jig to assist?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:41:18 AM by thephatmaster »

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Re: Sticking (plastic) kits together
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »
Keeping things square I use these

https://www.yorkmodelrail.com/useful-bits?page=2

As for adhesives, there are so many to choose from, most of us probably try numerous offerings until we stick  ::) to  the ones that best suit us, for styrene and similar plastics one of the liquid poly or mekpak are popular but do tend to stick quickly so less time for making fine adjustments. PVA glues work OK with card and wood.

When joining card at right angles I often add a length of styrene angle to increase the surface area for glue.

Another tip for keeping buildings square is to fit a "floor" and/or "ceiling2 of thick card this can also help when "planting" the model.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »
For assembly and alignment, use a sheet of glass as a base and get hold of some small sized metal set-squares to align pieces at accurate right-angles and/or vertically on the glass.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-50mm-Engineers-Set-Square-Small-Precision-Setsquare-Quality-Steel/292778464501

For general styrene plastic kits use a liquid solvent.  Offer up the two pieces (having previously checked and lightly sanded/filed for a good fit) and apply a small amount to the back of the join, allowing capillary action to carry the solvent where needed.

Keep a tube of more traditional plastic cement handy for if you need to apply a fillet to the joint.

[edit]I'm not familiar with the materials used for 3D printing, but when I've bought 3D kits from others the styrene solvents didn't work so I resorted for superglue for those (it's not usually my favoured adhesive unless there's not other option).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:09:10 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 03:17:02 PM »

on support...

How does one go about getting all the sides of kits lined up - so far I've tried hot-glue, as it stays workable for aligning... I am also eyeing up blu-tac to hold things while glued...

I 3D printed my own version of the 90 degree magnetic clamps shown in the link below.
https://proses.com/prestashop/tools-for-modelers/71-45-degree-snap-glue-set-square-8680979260616.html
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online thephatmaster

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »

on support...

I 3D printed my own version of the 90 degree magnetic clamps shown in the link below.
https://proses.com/prestashop/tools-for-modelers/71-45-degree-snap-glue-set-square-8680979260616.html

That's ideal, I have magnets somewhere and can surely knock that up on CAD. May as well print a set square while I'm at it

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »
Another vote here for York magnetic mates, and the Deluxe Roket range of adhesives for card and plastic

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 03:58:22 PM »
I too prefer to use the magnetic mates type of thingy along with 'Rocket' glues. I also have some adjustable angle magnetic mates type of thingy.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
Another vote here for York magnetic mates, and the Deluxe Roket range of adhesives for card and plastic

The York Models ones come in a few different sizes whereas the Proses ones seem to be all one size.  Deluxe  also do one called "Super 'Phatic" which bonds quite a variety of substances
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 08:11:12 PM »

The York Models ones come in a few different sizes whereas the Proses ones seem to be all one size.  Deluxe  also do one called "Super 'Phatic" which bonds quite a variety of substances

I have the York box set 2, and will look out for the Super Phatic

Online thephatmaster

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
thanks all,

by the look of the Magnetic Mates, the little right angle with the "L" piece which is 9.2mm x 29mm looks to be the most useful - is that your experiences?

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 11:02:13 AM »
@thephatmaster
I made my own to be suitable for a small N gauge house so the external right angles are 15mm and the internals are about 12mm. See photo below.

These are the clamps before cleaning up using a fine grade sandpaper. They work a treat (as long as the magnets are pressed in to attract rather than repel)  :doh: and suit 3mm diameter x 1.5mm deep magnets.
I 3D printed them to suit 3mm diameter x 1.5mm magnets and they work a treat.
I am happy to share the stl or gcode files.
Just PM me.
Regards,
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:03:37 PM by Delboy, Reason: grammar »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online thephatmaster

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »
Great minds ...

I just knocked these up - hopefully my magnets will fit.

I will of course sand them and check them against a proper metal square

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 12:03:52 PM »
For a source of card at a good price see my post at

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47506.msg605459#msg605459
Cheers MIKE

Online thephatmaster

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 06:40:30 PM »

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 08:10:47 PM »
Further to the right angle magnetic clamps, I received today some variable angle magnetic clamps from Proses, ideal for setting roof angles, set the outer part to the gable end adjust the angle then tighten the wing nut, the inner part will self adjust to match the angle of the outer one.

https://proses.com/prestashop/tools-for-modelers/73-45-degree-snap-glue-set-square-8680979260661.html
Note the price may be quoted in Euros, there is a currency change box top right;  handy little youtube video showing how to use including setting the angle.
Cheers MIKE

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here