!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The White Beast  (Read 178 times)

Offline LostinThreeBridges

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
The White Beast
« on: November 25, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »
Last week I travelled by rail from Gatwick Airport to London Victoria. Passing Norwood Junction and Selhurst TMD I caught a glimpse of a Class 66 on an aggregates train.

What struck me was its' bright white livery, which really stood out against the overcast sky. The loco was on a slightly higher level than my train, so I was looking up at it. I have identified it as 66780 The Cemax Express. It really was striking - I immediately thought of the film Moby Dick - when the whale breeches and seems to fly through the air! Or was it like a white lion, or a great polar bear, up on a ledge and about to spring?

I hope the paintwork wears well - at least it is a change from the well worn old EWS livery I see on most of the class which pass me by.

Kindest regards,
Christopher

Offline LostinThreeBridges

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The White Beast
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
Further to the above - if I am reading Hornby mag. correctly, both Hattons and Hornby are due to release 00 versions of:

66780 The Cemax Express in GBRF/Cemax livery
66623 in Genesee & Wyoming livery
66587 As One We Can, in ONE Ocean Network Express pink and white

One can always hope for Bachmann/Farish  n gauge versions.

Before Christmas, a chap posted some pics,on the Facebook n gauge forum, of his n gauge respray of a class 66 body as 66587. This mainly pink livery looked very striking, as per the photographs in Rail Express magazine.

Hopefully the full size versions, being one-off flagships, so to speak, will be kept in a clean condition. I used to be a bit sceptical of fancy colour schemes, until I saw some in good lighting conditions.

Kindest regards,
Christopher

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: The White Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »
Cemex, rather than Cemax. Yes, it is a striking livery and Iíve see it at Purley too, so clearly itís Ďaroundí the south central at the moment. Someone on the NGF Facebook page (Richard Boothby IIRC) did a respray, it looked great, but IIRC he said it was a very complex respray.

Dapol have a history of doing the odd one off liveries, so Iíd not be surprised to see the Maritime blue, ONE and/or Cemex from them in due course.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
January Donations

Advertise Here