!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Society Ferryvan project  (Read 2832 times)

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
Re: Society Ferryvan project
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 06:53:52 PM »
Paul; reply#14;

I wondered what you'd think of the idea, after seeing your own masterpieces on the Forum-which are much better than mine.

Martyn

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 06:58:33 PM »
Oh well, guess I'll be saving my pennies for something else then. Can't win 'em all.

I'm in the same camp as you, way too late for me, lets hope if it does get made they sell well.

Bob

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »
Paul; reply#14;

I wondered what you'd think of the idea, after seeing your own masterpieces on the Forum-which are much better than mine.

Martyn

Hi

I have seen one of the Hornby VIX wagons (same type as the NGS proposal) cut up to make a Belgian diagram E423. Basically all they used were the parts of the sides that included the vents.

So Iím not sure it would be of much benefit to cut up the NGS Ferry Van to make these as they would still require a lot of work. Much easier in my opinion to scratch build from plasticard.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Western Exile

• N Gauge Society Number: 23198
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »
Very pleased with this announcement. Iím sure Iíll find a home for some of the original brown/bauxite versions, a couple of Railfreight red/grey and a Dutch one if that livery gets produced.
(not Dr.) Al

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 10:46:23 AM »
Hi;

Knowing that a number of European vans and opens seem to share a common 8m wheelbase, I had hoped that clever design might have made more bodies available for a 'standard' chassis.

However, further research suggests that this won't be possible, as there are so many variations between the designs, and the Society proposal is for a RTR product.

So I think Paul's suggestion of scratchbuild from plastic card may be best for these (European) wagons.

martyn

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
I learned about this while at Warley yesterday. 

A bit of a disappointing choice for transition modellers it would seem as if not introduced until 1962, by the time they were established a sizeable chunk of steam/diesel transition period would be over. I can see that in the original livery they would find a place behind green diesels but steam?

Of course I appreciate that people work on these in their spare time, and I understand this is to be a first "in house" NGS project, but I can't help feeling that there would have been other prototypes that would have suited a wider range of membership than this one appears to.

Just my opinion, I'll buy a couple to support the Society and I hope it sells well, but I have a nagging doubt as certain later eras seem to "stick" (look at the NGS QMs for just one example).

Roy

Offline NGS-PO

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »
In the absence of full information from the N Gauge Society, here are some links to a little information available on the Internet:

https://www.igg.org.uk/rail/4-rstock/04arstock9.htm - Very brief overview about half way down the page

https://www.igg.org.uk/rail/6-livy/odds/9-ferry.htm - Early livery sketches

Best

Scott
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 01:36:03 PM »
Hello all,

Warley was crazy busy this year - maybe a combination of the Great Model Railway challenge and the Rod Stewart effect - but here are some images of the first CAD of the NGS ferryvan received over the weekend.  It still needs checking and possibly some amendments.

You'll notice the model has NEM couplers in kinematic sockets, lots of separately fitted detail including separate handles and brake equipment.

Roy - these wagons were instroduced in 1962 and operated until the late 1990s.  For me, they are virtually slap bang in the middle of the transition era, which I take to be the decade from the introduction of BR built diesels (1958ish?) to the end of steam (1968).

However, if they aren't quite right to you what would have been a better choice? 

We scratched around for ages! 

The only other option considered were the famous ICI hoppers, which lasted from 1930s to 2000, but were only used from the Peak Quarries to locations in Cheshire and Manchester I believe, and would've been more expensive too.

Cheers

Ben A.
(NGS VP)

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »

A bit of a disappointing choice for transition modellers it would seem as if not introduced until 1962, by the time they were established a sizeable chunk of steam/diesel transition period would be over. I can see that in the original livery they would find a place behind green diesels but steam?

Roy

Hi Roy,

I'd say 1962 qualifies quite comfortably as transition era. Green Diesel side by side with steam until 1968, which I understand as the end of the transition.

Best

Scott

EDIT: Ben pre-empted my comment......
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:40:53 PM by NGS-PO »
(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Anxiety is a lot like a toddler. It never stops talking, tells you youíre wrong about everything, and wakes you up at 3am.

I get nervous about just about everything. Sometimes I literally donít know why Iím anxious. I just am and no-one seems to understand that.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »

Roy

Hi Roy,

I'd say 1962 qualifies quite comfortably as transition era. Green Diesel side by side with steam until 1968, which I understand as the end of the transition.

Best

Scott

EDIT: Ben pre-empted my comment......

Hi Scott

Introduced in 1962 yes but when did they become widespread? Where would one typically see them? Would they be block workings? These are not wagons I recall seeing with any frequency in my many books covering the transition period, although from the late 60s more so and I think Triang Hornby introduced one in 00 around the time (if memory serves).

Transition is normally viewed as from post 1955 Modernisation Plan usually circa 1957 when the first pilot scheme and BR mainline diesels began to appear to last steam in August 1968 (in a few more isolated places). However by 1966 steam was on a rapid decline hence my comments.

Best Wishes

Roy

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
Hello all,

Warley was crazy busy this year - maybe a combination of the Great Model Railway challenge and the Rod Stewart effect - but here are some images of the first CAD of the NGS ferryvan received over the weekend.  It still needs checking and possibly some amendments.

You'll notice the model has NEM couplers in kinematic sockets, lots of separately fitted detail including separate handles and brake equipment.

Roy - these wagons were instroduced in 1962 and operated until the late 1990s.  For me, they are virtually slap bang in the middle of the transition era, which I take to be the decade from the introduction of BR built diesels (1958ish?) to the end of steam (1968).

However, if they aren't quite right to you what would have been a better choice? 

We scratched around for ages! 

The only other option considered were the famous ICI hoppers, which lasted from 1930s to 2000, but were only used from the Peak Quarries to locations in Cheshire and Manchester I believe, and would've been more expensive too.

Cheers

Ben A.
(NGS VP)

Hi Ben

Well firstly to say that the CADs look really professional and I am sure involved a lot of work, both in the drawing up and research.

As to my choice?

People seem to have been crying out for a RTR Shark ballast brake, and on this specific occasion I do not think the fact that there has been a kit of it in the NGS range for donkeys-years is a good enough reason not to do one. The kit is OK but a RTR model to modern standards would be light years better. The wagons had a very long life (as did many PW vehicles) from 1950s right through to Sectorisation I believe.

Well you did ask!

Best wishes

Roy

Offline NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »
Hi Roy,

I understand your position now, thanks for clarifying. I don't know when they became widespread, so I see where you're coming from.

In fairness, when I found out about this model, I didn't appreciate they were produced as early '62, I had them firmly in post-steam territory; so, as I say, I take your point.

Best

Scott

Offline Western Exile

• N Gauge Society Number: 23198
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »
A bit of a disappointing choice for transition modellers

Maybe, but a bigger disappointment for pre-1962 and post-2000ish modellers, of which I am neither. Luckily, on this occasion the NGS are producing a model that fits my area and era and I shall be buying several of them. Most times that is not the case. That’s just the way it is. But I agree with you about the Sharks, Roy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:27:32 PM by Western Exile »
(not Dr.) Al

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »
Agree about the need for an R-T-R Shark although this would compete against the Society's Kit & I suppose someone might eventually take on the previously expected DJM model.

Diesel Brake Tender would be a suitable Transition Era R-T-R model although I don't think they lasted as long as the Ferryvans.

David

NB - I will be ordering a Ferryvan or two.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:19:38 PM by Thorpe Parva, Reason: Additional comment »

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »
Theres no doubt that the NGS will deliver an absolutely fantastic model. It too is not for me but then again neither was
Gresley Full brake (kit I know)
Stove R
BR Snowplough
Thompson Brake
Car flats
40th Anniversary wagon
Or
LMS Inspection saloon

The Queen Mary brake was perfect BUT that's it, I chose to model my particular location at this particular time so cant complain things dont suit me.

As @Ben A says, huge time frame and who knows wagons better then the revolutioN boys???

A RTR shark would be good, now farish no longer produce the Sealion you cannot get the kit from the NGS, I received the 'back in stock email' only to be sold out when I logged in  :'(

Theres many things wed like RTR from every manufacturer but patiently we wait for what we want.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:23:27 PM by exmouthcraig »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal