!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Moorpark Junction  (Read 3474 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Moorpark Junction
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2020, 07:27:55 AM »
I just moved this to Layout Construction, as requested.  :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2020, 07:31:32 AM »
I just moved this to Layout Construction, as requested.  :beers:
Most gratetful. Now where did I put my drink? Ah, there it is. :beers:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2020, 07:48:09 AM »
I just moved this to Layout Construction, as requested.  :beers: George
So that's why the whole thread is coming up as 'new' on my computer!

p.s.  I've fixed the Emoji.  I should have left a space between the Emoji and George's name.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:07:23 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2020, 07:54:20 AM »
Just doing what I was told, m'lud  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2020, 07:56:51 AM »
The beers emoji came up @Innovationgame as the word beers. I'm sure he meant cheers . Strong coffee here

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2020, 04:48:00 AM »
So, after a not-so-brief hiatus and I ventured back into the railway room to lay the last turnout on the "mainline east" and install the point motor. My brilliant plan of creating removable sectional baseboards so that I could wire the underneath by turning the board over and putting it back when I was done worked quite nicely for the upper-level branch line, but failed miserably for the lower level.

So now I have a different technique - the track droppers are easy to deal with, but it's the Cobalts that caused a headache. So now I install the Cobalts underneath the board using the self-adhesive pads, and screw in place from above using a countersunk screw through the MDF into one of the Cobalt flanges. I pre-wire the Cobalts with the power connections and connect the frog wire before I stick 'em to the board , then all I have to do is screw the other power ends to the Power Distribution Boards and I'm done. No crawling around underneath, but I still have access for the inevitable repairs which will come.

I've done six of these so far like this, and it seems it's a workable method (or bodge, if you prefer).

Next up is the relatively simple task of laying some Code 55 mainline across the east-west divide, adding the point for access in to the TMD, and then I'm facing down the TMD and freight yard points. It took me two hours to solder droppers, wire the frog, install the motor, glue down the point and test everything for just one turnout, so I'm looking at a lot of time for the rest. I just have to remind myself to be patient. I had the encouragement of the CL101 3-car unit trundling around the upper level while I was sweating into my solder while the Crompton was idling in the viaduct passing loop, so that's something!

Also @dannyboy just mailed me three 16T tank wagons and a CL08 from the Emerald Isle, so thank you David. He is a great person to deal with. Now I've got a proper oil train rake of 11 tank trucks to run behind the CL33 and barrier wagon. I just need to lay the track to run it on!

Onwards, and stay safe!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2020, 05:56:19 AM »
Glad steve. You can model a fawley tank train
 Thank you for updates

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2020, 06:15:17 AM »
Glad steve. You can model a fawley tank train
 Thank you for updates

I forgot to say that I stabbed myself in the finger with my Exacto cleaning up the "filler" sleepers before I added them in and covered everything with blood. I hate those lilttle b******s. Might look good as rust when it dries though :)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2020, 06:18:55 AM »
If you need track. I know a good retailer that's stocked and friendly

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2020, 06:31:54 AM »
Thanks Chris, I think I'm good. I ordered all the points and track before I started on this, and before this shut-down. I went large on the flextrack, so room for some mistakes. No mistakes with the points though, I just got what the track plan told me I needed. Same goes for the Cobalts. The three-way turnouts scared me to death putting those in - one mistake and you're $60 out of pocket and no re-order.

I've got the Metcalfe platform kits I need too, so when the track is down I can trace out the platforms for the mainline station and build those. The branch line platform is already done, and the buildings are down. For the mainline station I'll re-use the buildings for the booking hall, platform shelter and the canopies from the old layout. Just need to build the footbridge and I think that's it.

The inspection pits for the TMD are already in place waiting for the track to catch up, same for the turntable on the heritage section.

Now I just need to wire about 15 turnouts, droppers on all the track, point motors and frogs. Piece of cake!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2020, 06:46:47 AM »
Have fun with the wiring mate. Not fun having that exacto experience
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:32:53 AM by crewearpley40 »

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2020, 10:40:25 AM »
Nice to see your layout coming along, watch it with that knife though. I had a similar incident with a chisel last week then I got a wood splinter. Have fun doing that wiring and take care, keep safe.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2020, 02:48:15 AM »
I had a couple of hours today to progress the layout, and I didn't stab myself with the scalpel, burn myself on the soldering iron nor did I short-circuit anything or zap a DCC decoder, so I'll give myself a  :beers: for that.

I laid the branch-to-main gradient connector and ran the 101 up and down, and the CL33 oil train down to the mainline fiddle yard. A couple of minor issues with the fishplates not being properly seated, but nothing serious and now the glue is under the track and the weights are going to sit overnight to seat everything in place.

It did also give me the satisying chance to see the CR Signals route-setting feather in action on the branch-to-main turnout which geeked me out :)

Next up, wiring another signal controller and signal to set the main-to-branch turnout and the mainlines to the Great East-West Divide. I've got a nice feeling that I've turned the corner. I had "modeller's block" while I was trying to figure out how to wire the track and points from the topside of the baseboard, but now I think I've got that down pat and it's going to be fun to progress.

I'll post some pictures shortly but currently the place is a mess and it's hard to see where the layout starts and the tools and general chaos ends. I lost a favorite coffee mug a couple of weeks ago and thought I must have thrown it away by accident but it turned up today under one of the elevated sections of the branch line, to give you some idea how chaotic it is up there.

The trains run and the points and signals work though, so there's a glimmer of light at the end of the (unbuilt) scenic tunnels.

:beers:

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2020, 05:36:38 AM »
I do like cr signals but always good to tidy up steve

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2020, 03:58:55 AM »
A holiday weekend and I've carved out some time for the layout. A good solid few hours of work today and I've got the up main, down main and down relief laid and the down relief connector to the main on the east half of the board in place, wired, tested and thumbs-up. The branch connector got itself all upset with some installation issues with the down relief point adjacent, so a little lift, separate and replace TLC was in order. The branch connector has two IRJ's as it isolates the main power district from the branch, and two of those buggers together seem to have a life of their own.

Two dual signal controllers are also wired ready for the signals themselves. The two starters for the down/down relief and the branch-to-main & the TMD exit. I'm not going to be doing anything with installing the signals themselves until the platforms are constructed and laid and I'm about to start ballasting.

The point to/from the TMD is also laid and tested, so transitioning from the back stretch into the home turn in (US) horse-racing speak. That point did cause a few minutes of debugging; this is where the separate power districts helps to isolate where the problem might lie. In this case, it was the not-unusual issue of the point motor polarity being reversed vis-a-vis the frog wiring and the onward connection. The cure is simply to reverse the +/- feeds to the point motor, and the frog gets the correct polarity feed.

Once I was happy with the trackwork, I had a chance to chip D827 "Kelly" that I've had for a couple of months or so, a nice model I found on eBay. I ordered a couple of basic DCC decoders last week and they arrived today, so it was a good excuse to chip "Kelly", pour a glass of the good stuff and watch it run-in around the branch line, pulling a small rake of BR grey/blue MK1's. I'm really glad that I decided to lay the branch loop first so I can run trains while I work on the more complex parts of the layout.

Next up - I need to lay the bus wires across the "great divide" using the already-in-place connectors, add the second mainline power distribution board. the TMD PDB and the goods yard PDB and then in infrastructure terms, at least from the DCC standpoint, I'm done. I can focus on wiring the remaining quadrant of the lower layout as I lay the track. My goal is to have the mainline track and the spur to the bay platform laid by the end of the weekend and then I can fill in the goods yard, the TMD and the heritage spur to the turntable.

Once the main and bay lines are laid, I can mark out the platforms for the mainline station and have some creative fun building those. I want the platforms done before I start weathering/ballasting the track, the branch station is already built waiting for the rest to catch up.

I've been using the new CL50 "D406" as the crash test dummy for all the new build, and it's a great model. I wish I'd just let rip and ordered the DCC "Sound Fitted" option, but I've got a couple of locos that I'm looking to YouChoos to furnish the sound, so I'll just put the "hoover" on the list for when I can justify the expense.

Also on the list is have a good clean-up up there so I can photo-document some progress. It's not exactly chaos, but I don't want to needlessly upset the tidy and organized among us.

Happy Memorial Day and Spring Bank Holiday!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal