!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Moorpark Junction  (Read 475 times)

Offline LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
Moorpark Junction
« on: November 22, 2019, 08:24:38 PM »
Following on from the original "Moorpark" layout (which has now been disassembled and anything reusable stored away) I'm closing on a final track plan for the replacement.

My prime criteria for the new layout are as follows (some at the behest of The Management!)

• Fit comfortably in the room assigned for it, leaving enough space for a small modelling table and storage and plenty of room to walk around
  • Twin-mainline continuous running - I like watching the trains go by
  • Two levels, one level for a branch/freight line, one for the mainline, interconnected
  • Space for a small TMD and a goods yard with shunting capability/interest
  • If possible, room to turn a steam locomotive (as I've got one and it's going to sneak into operations under the "heritage" banner)
  • Storage roads/sidings so I can see my expanding collection (courtesy of the temptation devil which is eBay)
  • Bags of room for scenic modelling, I find I really enjoy that aspect of the hobby. The Management has dictated a canal scene, and sheep. Don't ask me how, but she discovered sheepdog trial videos on YouTube and now sheep-spots when we go back to the UK to visit. Also, when we take road or rail trips she loves seeing the canals that run alongside the road and railway in some places. So a canal and sheep are to be featured, also a viaduct (if I can find a place where it makes sense), modeled on an abbreviated version of the Hockley viaduct in Winchester.
  • Reuse of as much of the previous layout as possible, trackwork, structures and scenics
  • Design for the possibility of separating the layout into two sections in case I have to move it

So with all that in mind, I measured and found that I could happily fit an 8' x 5' layout in the space available, where it can be viewable from three sides, and operated from the fourth (or anywhere if I add walk-around capability) which can be split into two 4'x5' sections if necessary.

So then came the pencil-and-paper sketches, some prototyping on AnyRail, much back-to-the-drawing-board-and-start-over, looking for inspiration from prototypical locations I remember from the UK, other layouts, track plans here and there and nothing was resonating. I also discovered during this phase that I find it hard to think spatially, so the vertical aspects of the plans were often wildly impossible, and I kept getting carried away making the layout larger than my constraints.

Then I bought a copy of the PECO guide to N-gauge modelling, not for track plan ideas per se, but just to see what I'd missed or messed with the first iteration of Moorpark. And in there was a plan for exactly what I was looking for - it ticked all the boxes planning-wise, and the finished article looked stunning to boot. The guy that built it posts on this forum, but it had passed me by until that point. It was, or rather is, the magnificent "Elvinley" by Ian Arkley, @Elvinley of this parish.

I love the space for buildings and scenery, I thought the fact that the fiddle yard at the back was scenic and not hidden was brilliant and it all looked so cohesive. I was sold on the idea.

Now, even though the track plan was published in the guide, I felt uncomfortable copying Ian's hard work on the design without some kind of approval, so I got in touch with Ian via the Forum and told him I was going to steal plagiarize shamelessly rip off be inspired by and build a similar layout, and would he mind?

Gentleman that he is, he said he'd be delighted if I went ahead, and we had a couple of back-and-forth exchanges about design and operations. Accordingly, I've made a couple of changes to reduce the gradient of the transition from the main to the branch line, to allow trains to more easily cross from the up to the down line in the sidings so I can send EMU/DMU's back the other way, and few other bits and pieces, but 95% of the design is Ian's; I haven't changed anything just to make it different.

The hidden sections are not quite set in stone yet as to their extent, but are pretty indicative of what I'm planning give-or-take a few tweaks.

Other salient stuff which doesn't have anything to do with the plan, but more the basis of operations and making sure I've thought things through

• DCC (NCE)
  • Open Baseboard Construction
  • PECO Code 55
  • Electrofrog/Unifrog throughout
  • Cobalt under-mounted point motors
  • Working signals, both semaphore and two-aspect
  • Building and street lighting where appropriate
  • ... and so it goes

I built a little test layout to check the radius of the curves and my proposed gradients, and everything is working OK, so I'm not worried about either of those.

Assessing my locos and rolling stock, I'm all over the map in terms of what I've been tempted into off eBay, but (mostly) diesel, (mostly) BR Green and (mostly) passenger rolling stock rather than freight, although there will be a definite Rule #1 element to all this. I've accumulated a seven-coach rake of blue/gray MK1's and a BR Blue CL47 to haul them, so they'll be making an appearance along the way. I've also got my "heritage" Castle class and the blood-and-custard rake, so the odd excursion special will be dispatched from time to time, making it handy that there is a turntable available. So mostly passenger traffic with the odd freight working.

I have a copy of "TrainPlayer" that I was messing around with a few years ago, and so I converted the plan you see and populated it with the locos, coaches and wagons that I have and took it all for a virtual test drive. I'm not using it as a basis for fine measurements, more for a reality-check of what I'm expecting to see from an operations perspective, and it all looked good to me.

Now obviously when you're space-constrained (as we all are to some extent or another) the final plan is going to be a series of compromises, and for me, the most obvious compromise on this plan is the fiddle yard, more a through mainline with two passing loops. Yes, it would have been great to add more storage here, but that to me would be compromising too much on the scenic elements, so I'm happy with what I've ended up with there.

I've got a few non-railway buildings already built to reuse, and I've got some some ideas of what I'll need for one part of the layout, but I'll let the rest grow somewhat organically. I've got a mixture of Metcalfe, Scalescenes, Ratio, Osborn's ArchLaser and scratch-build already, and I'll carry on with that mix along with anything else that takes my fancy thrown into the pot as we go along.

I'm getting my final shopping list together for the track and any structural scenic components that I need when I pull the trigger and I've got a couple of shopping carts dotted around the interwebs so I could keep an eye on the cost. As an FYI for anyone outside the UK who is sourcing UK-produced stuff, I've found it's a lot cheaper (almost 40% in my case) to buy from the UK and have it shipped. Obviously the wait time is longer, and you have to cross your fingers that you don't get your shipment held in customs, but it's worth doing a price comparison if you're spending any significant amount of money. I was very surprised when I did the math(s).

So kudos again to Ian for his brilliant planning and his insights. Let me know if there's any blunders with this that any of you can see or concerns you have before I save my shopping carts and head for the checkouts. (Any blunders are mine, not Ian's!)

So there we have it.

Thanks!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
Re: Moorpark Junction
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
Looking good steve. Plenty of operational potential with the plan. Love the fact hockley viaduct going in.  Canals believe portperran martin and andy ra with west coast ( southern section ) have modelled canals
 Let me know what  ideas need via my own and not pm email .chris

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 08:59:12 PM »
Wow Steve, that will be some “train set”.  Looking forward to seeing your baby grow.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 09:24:17 PM »
 :hmmm:
(mostly) diesels, (mostly) green along with a class 47 and a heritage Castle..........got a Western Region ring to things and you could do a lot worse than going down the hydraulic road (let's face it, Ian based 'Elvinley' firmly in the west).
Add the odd maroon, desert sand diesel and Robert's your mother's brother :)

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »
:hmmm:
(mostly) diesels, (mostly) green along with a class 47 and a heritage Castle..........got a Western Region ring to things and you could do a lot worse than going down the hydraulic road (let's face it, Ian based 'Elvinley' firmly in the west).
Add the odd maroon, desert sand diesel and Robert's your mother's brother :)
Quite so! My youthful days were spent on the platforms at Winchester, Basingstoke and Reading, so my diesel "collection" reflects that - CL25, 33, 35, 42, 47 and 52's, one of which is maroon. There are a couple of interlopers, due mainly to my weakness when confronted with a bargain on eBay. I can get away with the Deltic prototype, but quite what the CL66 Powerhaul is doing amongst that lot is anyone's guess. I'd better add a Tardis.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:34:03 PM »
Good locomotive choice. 66 on a southampton bound freigjtliner totally ignored by the 33 an ts 4cep and 5tc weymouth bound service

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:38:56 PM »
Classes 22 and 37 are a must, methinks, while 101/108/121/122 units could be thrown into the mix with Peaks as well. (Not that I'm trying to get you in  trouble with 'The Management' :no:)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 09:44:45 PM »
A 22 on milk tanks or double headed china clay, look good. 41, 45 worked within devon. A blue dapol 50 post 1974 would work too. 47 on the poole or paddington plymouth

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »
Classes 22 and 37 are a must, methinks, while 101/108/121/122 units could be thrown into the mix with Peaks as well. (Not that I'm trying to get you in  trouble with 'The Management' :no:)
You're a mind reader - I meant 22, not 25, and I inadvertently left the 37 off the list, another eBay bargain. The Peaks were a treat to see as a young 'un, there was a weekly oil train from Bromford Bridge to and from Fawley refinery which were often hauled by a 40, so I've got a weather-eye on the auctions for a promising candidate. Likewise a CL 73 if one comes up.

I've have a BR Green 3-car 101 and a BR Blue 3-car 108, and a CL 411 4-CEP which means the mainlines will need to be third-rail.

The Management are on board with this (so far), it was her idea I needed to build a bigger layout after she came to TINGS with me, and she bought me an airbrush for my birthday, but she's sure building up a lot of brownie points.

I guess when she tells me she wants a new bathroom I won't have a leg to stand on.  :no:

Offline LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 09:50:26 PM »
A 22 on milk tanks or double headed china clay, look good. 41, 45 worked within devon. A blue dapol 50 post 1974 would work too. 47 on the poole or paddington plymouth
I was thinking about the Dapol 50, it's a great looking model. I'll put in on the Christmas list for 2020 when I actually might have some track laid to run it on :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »

I guess when she tells me she wants a new bathroom I won't have a leg to stand on.  :no:

Then someone else will have to do the work as you won't be physically capable :angel: :D

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »
A 25 would suit local exeter barnstaple and local freight steve. 24s worked kthe southern too

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »
 :hellosign:
   very nice plan Steve, look forward to the build   :thumbsup:
         regards Derek.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 06:37:46 AM »
Plenty of operating potential steve. Access will be key with layout planning

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 12:55:54 PM »
<A 25 would suit local exeter barnstaple and local freight steve. 24s worked kthe southern too>

Depends how pedantic on timescale one is. The 25s were allocated on the WR 1970 to 1981. 24s were never allocated to the WR.  The 24s on the SR were a stop gap in the late 50s/early 60s to provide steam heating pending full electric working in Kent. All the 24s were withdrawn by 1981 and had been concentrated in the Stoke division for several years. Both types could well have appeared on inter regional workings.

HTH Norman
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 12:57:41 PM by tunneroner61, Reason: 24 withdrawl date »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here