!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue  (Read 2828 times)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
Re: NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 05:39:51 AM »
I've enjoyed both the last two editions. Variety is the spice of life, and the more diverse the better, not just topics, but also having short, focused articles amongst the longer, more comprehensive descriptions of large and complex layouts is ideal.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »
Blue period is only a slight interest to me as I model 1963 in N, and 29th May 1940 in EM.  As for cheap layouts It would be like todays TV, dumbing down to the lowest possible level, layout of all styles and expenses should be included.

I am finding modelling increasingly too expensive, but that is mostly prebuilt items, I see this as forcing a partial return to genuine modelling rather than Ready to Plonking. Maybe this will in the end improve the standard of modelling overall?

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »
I enjoyed the article about the German layout in the previous journal as it made me think how I could model Ironbridge gorge perhaps using similar ideas. After all it is just another river valley with railways either side.  As to expense, over the years I have spent a small fortune on stock awaiting the layout to run it on, but only at what I can afford each month. The BR blue supplement is very welcome too. Keep up the good work Neale!

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 06:24:08 PM »
I am finding modelling increasingly too expensive, but that is mostly prebuilt items, I see this as forcing a partial return to genuine modelling rather than Ready to Plonking. Maybe this will in the end improve the standard of modelling overall?

Yes, I agree and hopefully the Journal can show that model making doesn't have to be expensive. Having only one pair of hands each, making does tend to limit how fast you spend, unlike shopping technology which enables you to spend it ever-faster!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 03:36:06 AM »
My copy arrived here in Oz this morning. I've had a quick flip through, and there appears to be a good selection of articles in there. The Minitrix history looks interesting as I have a goodly selection of those locos.

The BR Blue supplement is a magazine itself! Impressive.

I have no interest in modelling the period as I am firmly entrenched in BR green-maroon, but the supplement is still of great interest to me as I spent a lot of time travelling on blue DMUs in the early seventies.

This era was what used to be called by the Railway Modeller magazine "Modern Image" - not any more, it ain't!!!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 06:12:48 AM »
well if George (@Bealman) has his I should get mine some time next week. looking forward to reading it, have thoroughly enjoyed reading the last couple since the change of editor.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 06:18:30 AM »
Lots of positiive comments about the BR blue era supplement. But those wlho like you george prefer the 50s / 60s  fair play
 Modern image is just a label thats outdated
 I would suggest, pre grouping  the big four, post nationalisation,  transition steam to diesel era
, 70s / 80s  sectorisation  privatisation and
 Up to date as terms we could use

Offline Upperton

• N Gauge Society Number: 27844
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 10:08:21 AM »

I would suggest, pre grouping  the big four, post nationalisation,  transition steam to diesel era
, 70s / 80s  sectorisation  privatisation and
 Up to date as terms we could use

Manufacturers seem keen on pushing thier numbers system for all the Era's, think they are up to Era 11?

Far less confusing for enthusiasts in the way you have listed. Though I can see it being a good system if an item is being purchased by a family member and go on which number Era you're into.

Have read the Blue supplement this week, very good read  :thumbsup:

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »
Thanks be reading when have a chance ! AND thanks for supporting my thoughts

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
Had mine a while now but only had a chance today to have a good read.

I think the Journal is a publication that just seems to go up and up in quality.

To be honest the long article in the last issue didn't work for me, but this one has got it spot on. Lots in there covering a whole range of different interests - something for everyone.

My favourite article was Trinity Road - a terrific little layout in only 4ft x 2ft showing just what can be done using N even in such a small space.

I don't model the era but going to school and growing up during the BR blue era, I took an interest in the railways around me so found the supplement quite a nostalgic read.

All I can say is keep up the great work.

Roy

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »
To be honest the long article in the last issue didn't work for me, but this one has got it spot on. Lots in there covering a whole range of different interests - something for everyone.

Thank you!

I agree, on balance, I can see that super-long articles would have to be very occasional features of the Journal. I still think Rheinbrucke is an amazing layout, and the article is a very good read. But if I was doing that issue again, I'd either spread it across two issues, or else edit the article more tightly to reduce it by, say, a third. You live and learn, I guess!

The Minitrix article in 6/19 has gone down very well, I'm pleased to report. Again, this was a long article, but I did indeed decide to cut it into two pieces (the second will be in 1/20). John Heath has a very readable style, and his article is absolutely and precisely the kind of thing I'd enjoy reading in the Journal, while never expecting to see such a piece in the 00-centric mainstream magazines. I hope others feel the same way, and in due course, perhaps we'll see more of this historical reviews of N Gauge. (If you read my Editorial, you might detect my subtle fishing for such! I'd love to know more about the origin of Peco's Jubilee for example, or the behind-the-scenes story of Lima.)

Space permitting, the articles that should be in the next issue include something on N-scale broad gauge; the fantastic 'Shirebrook' layout featured on the cover of 5/19; a minimum space GWR/SR terminus; and an introduction to the use of stripboard. There are at least four rolling stock modelling projects (including, alas, one by me) which I think will cater to those who enjoy being inspired but don't want to spend a fortune building a whole new layout. I love kit-building even if I'm not especially good, and feel kits are the perfect antidote to the idea of 'chequebook modelling' that's only accessible to those with thousands of pounds available to spend on the hobby.

While I've got piles of articles to work through, I do still want more! I don't get nearly enough non-UK stuff, and really want to receive more.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2019, 03:24:49 PM »
I heard the roar of the Japan Post motorbike late this afternoon as it pulled up outside and dropped something with a noticeable thud into the mailbox, which I guessed was the current issue, and it was. Haven't read it all yet but good stuff (even the stuff I'm not really interested in).

Two small corrections for the RTR list at the back of the BR Blue supplement:
- the 150 "Sprinter" DMU is by Bachmann-Farish, not Dapol
- the DCC-ready Class 50 is by Dapol, not Bachmann-Farish

For my sins, and given a bit of time, I could probably put something together on Lima...
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »
Two small corrections for the RTR list at the back of the BR Blue supplement:
- the 150 "Sprinter" DMU is by Bachmann-Farish, not Dapol
- the DCC-ready Class 50 is by Dapol, not Bachmann-Farish
Oops!  :-[

For my sins, and given a bit of time, I could probably put something together on Lima...

Yay!  :goggleeyes:

NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2019, 03:59:43 PM »
Oh, and to partially answer the question in the editorial about Continental Lima N gauge, from what I've seen of it, it's not substantially better than the British models and suffers from the same awful pancake motor, apart from models released towards the end, which had a can motor but still with drive on one bogie, pickups on the other. I believe they did this with the Class 86 and Class 31 as well, though I've never seen one in the flesh, so to speak. I do have the DB BR403 "Lufthansa Express" (aka "Donald Duck") which has this mechanism, and for a Lima N gauge model it's surprisingly not bad, but if you look at stuff say Kato was making at the same time (e.g. the classic TGV) it's still pretty primitive (though ironically if you want an N-gauge model of the BR403, AFAIK the Lima one is the only option).
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »
A great edition and I did like the Blue era supplement even though it is not my era.  My only comment relates to the use of Bubble Car single Diesels on the Watford to St Albans Branch.  I have lived in Watford and close to the line since 1975.  From the start my general impression was that the Abbey Flyer as we call it was usually formed of 2 car units.  I used it regularly from 1981 until into electrification, and it was always a 2 car unit then.    From memory Cravens or 104s.  Don't think I saw a MetroCam or Derby on it though some might correct me.  I undertsand one class 122 was stationed at Bletchley for a while in the late 70s so may sometimes have found its way to Watford.  Single cars would certainly have sufficed for daytime patronage.  But the key evening and morning trains were well loaded.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal