!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue  (Read 1405 times)

Skyline2uk, zwilnik and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28852
  • Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue
« on: November 22, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »
I just wanted to say the latest journal has landed and it's great.

I really like the "BR Blue" supplement. I appreciate that must have taken some time to put together, in addition to the journal itself.

Hopefully we'll get a "Railfreight" supplement in the future!  :D

Offline Ensign Elliott

• N Gauge Society Number: 27962
    • Lace Wars
    • Awards
Re: NGS Journal 6/19 and BR Blue
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »
Mine arrived yesterday - the BR Supplement was a nice surprise.

Pleased to see my article in there too!

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 12:57:48 PM »
Thanks both!

The BR Blue supplement was actually proposed long before Grahame stepped down. In the event, since it was mostly written by the time I took over from him, I hoped that making it the supplement for 2019 would not be seen as self-indulgent! Barry Sargeant's excellent 'Par Road' layout is featured throughout, alongside my own photos from the early 1980s, and some by Richard Bardsley of various preserved stock.

As for the Journal, I hope the variety of articles pleases. Some readers felt the very long piece on the German layout was excessive. I certainly enjoyed editing the Minitrix piece, and hope others will be inspired to write these sorts of thorough historical reviews now and again!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Ted

• Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 01:01:40 PM »
It's always difficult (impossible) to cater to everyone's tastes, but I enjoy at least looking at alternative eras etc.

Hence a Railfrieght supplement would be awesome, but I realise half the readership might not be as enthused. The same goes for any topic.

The important thing is quality coverage and variety, which having only received two copies thus far (new-ish member), I think you're doing well at.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
Hence a Railfrieght supplement would be awesome, but I realise half the readership might not be as enthused. The same goes for any topic.

Short answer, @Ted, is come at me with either an article proposal or some ideas for an actual supplement. I wonder if something that spans both Railfreight and the shadow/early franchises might not be even better? I for one know relatively little about the likes of Mainline and Loadhaul.

Thinking about a supplement, something that covered the way freight was handled might appeal. For example:
  • Small/local container sites that are easily modelled using mobile cranes
  • Coal traffic and the types of wagons used at particular periods and/or locations
  • Alternatives to wagon-load freight that might be modelled on shunting-plank type layouts
  • Niche trains such as nuclear flask and MoD trains

Anything really that spurs people into designing a new layout is always a good sign!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »
Must admit when mine dropped through the letterbox today I thought someone had goofed and I'd got 2 Journals. Blue era not my choice (you can have any loco you want as long as it's blue - to paraphrase Henry Ford) but I'll get round to reading over this weekend.

Offline Ted

• Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 02:27:33 PM »

Short answer, @Ted, is come at me with either an article proposal or some ideas for an actual supplement. I wonder if something that spans both Railfreight and the shadow/early franchises might not be even better? I for one know relatively little about the likes of Mainline and Loadhaul.

Thinking about a supplement, something that covered the way freight was handled might appeal. For example:
  • Small/local container sites that are easily modelled using mobile cranes
  • Coal traffic and the types of wagons used at particular periods and/or locations
  • Alternatives to wagon-load freight that might be modelled on shunting-plank type layouts
  • Niche trains such as nuclear flask and MoD trains

Anything really that spurs people into designing a new layout is always a good sign!

Cheers, NeMo

I am certainly no expert, so if you needed someone to write the article - I'd be no good (not a cop out I assure you).

However, if you just needed ideas then no problem.

In fact, I really like your first point about "Small/local container sites that are easily modelled using mobile cranes".

A few other ideas:

• Rakes, example loads and routes taken. What was the purpose of said routes?
  • Railfreight departments - how did they operate, where from and what did that look like?
  • TMD and related yards, how to model them prototypically - the nuances, details and reason they existed

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »
Mine arrived yesterday, and another cracking issue - thanks Neale! I particularly liked John Heath's long article on the Minitrix saga, and the one on videoing your layout.

I'm sure the BR Blue supplement is very good, but it's not my era I'm afraid! I don't want to just bin it, so if there is any non-member out there who would like my copy, please PM me. Or I might put it on the free items page of the Nporium.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 05:41:19 PM »

I'm sure the BR Blue supplement is very good, but it's not my era I'm afraid! I don't want to just bin it, so if there is any non-member out there who would like my copy, please PM me.

Got a taker already!!

:NGaugersRule:

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 12:21:48 AM »
As for the Journal, I hope the variety of articles pleases. Some readers felt the very long piece on the German layout was excessive.

It was the highlight of that issue for me, personally I find it very interesting how entire layouts are constructed. I presume those complaining were able to provide you with some content more to their taste?

Looking forward to the BR Blue supplement  :thumbsup:
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline ngaugepaul

• N Gauge Society Number: 8105
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 02:38:19 PM »
Just glanced at my copy which arrived yesterday and my first impression is that the journal and blue supplement both look very clear and bright.
A credit to all concerned.

Offline Upperton

• N Gauge Society Number: 27844
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
I was late renewing my NGS this year, and have received two NGS Journals (and one supplement) in as many weeks. Pretty much read cover to cover now, well done NeMo (and team)  :thumbsup:

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »
I have finished reading the BR blue supplement (cover to cover, very well written and interesting).

Started flipping through the main journal and newsletter, some things to go back and read in detail.

As per the last issue, this is a quality professional publication.

As for the Journal, I hope the variety of articles pleases. Some readers felt the very long piece on the German layout was excessive.

It was the highlight of that issue for me, personally I find it very interesting how entire layouts are constructed. I presume those complaining were able to provide you with some content more to their taste?

Looking forward to the BR Blue supplement  :thumbsup:

Understandably diplomatic, but one letter (that I saw) seems to be from a member complaining about that layout article. The reason given being “this must have cost thousands and not everybody can afford to spend that”.... ???

What, so the journal should only show “cheap” layouts? I couldn’t afford the layout in question IN ONE GO, but over a lengthy enjoyable period in the hobby? Maybe!

Surely that is the point of showing layouts, inspiration / aspiration?

I commented that the article in question was a highlight for me in the last issue, and I don’t model German or DCC.

Anyway, rant over.

Thanks again @NeMo , excellent work.

Skyline2uk

Online Paulwhitt20

• N Gauge Society Number: 27578
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 05:03:53 PM »
I’ve just finished reading the BR Blue supplement.
Very interesting and informative. A useful reference to keep handy.
Thank You
Paul

Online sg

• N Gauge Society Number: 20842
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 10:20:08 PM »
Enjoyed the BR Blue supplement and looking forward to reading the Journal. Thanks again to all involved. 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything