!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Revolution Goes Radioactive!  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Graham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
Re: Revolution Goes Radioactive!
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2020, 09:05:17 PM »
Oh WOW !!!! looking forward to getting these.

Offline rusticged

• N Gauge Society Number: 9108
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2020, 10:00:54 PM »
Amazing models!!
Hope you have the EP1 in Glasgow.
Cheers,
Ged.
Rusticged

Layout: 'Leefield & Ashpeth'
Modelling Freelance British outline from the 1960s to the Present day.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2020, 10:22:11 PM »

Hello all,

They do look pretty tasty!

One of the covers has a tiny bit of flash preventing it sitting quite true - one of the things that will be corrected for production.

And this EP1 sample will be on show at Glasgow - along with the Cemflo samples - on our new, bigger display stand!

See you there!

Cheers

Ben A.

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2020, 12:59:58 AM »
They work round very tight curves (like the real thing which is designed for dockyard curves) because all the bogies are articulated and each pair is on another pivoting bolster. So although they are very long the effective wheelbase is pretty short.

They’re being sold in pairs only - otherwise we’d have had to price them significantly higher for the singles.

Cheers Mike

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »
I don't know if the EP should actually represent the finished article or not. The handrails and catwalks dont look good and the etched brass bits are askew in places.

Geoff

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »
I don't know if the EP should actually represent the finished article or not. The handrails and catwalks dont look good and the etched brass bits are askew in places.

Geoff

I would not worry the EP is a close representation but is rarely as sharp and accurate as the final production injection moulded parts.  After all it is usually a 3D printed resin or similar material, but it does give a good representation of size and how it goes together.

Its worth going back to previous model EPs and compare them to the final models to see how it improves.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »

Hello Geoff,

Thanks for your comments. You will note the handrail issue is mentioned in the item on our website.

The EP is a first-hand assembled sample made from injection moulded parts, not resin or 3-D prints.

The purpose is to identify issues such as fit of  parts, running qualities, details and any tooling blemishes.

Because the EP is hand assembled sometimes the parts can be damaged – in production assembly is often carried out with a jig to ensure the delicate parts are not distorted, and of course the finished models will be shipped in protective blisters; these were sent in a box and just protected by bubble-wrap.

FWIW, we were also supplied with unassembled sprues and on these all the handrails are straight and true.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2020, 06:55:39 PM »
Hello all,

For those that were not able to join our Facebook Live on Tuesday evening I have now managed to take a decent snap of the KUA pair.

The decorated samples are subject to a couple of very small amendments and we are now close to beginning production.

The earlybird price of £139.95 for the pair will be available until the end of May.   After that, the price will go up to the standard RRP of £159.95.

Cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:07:26 PM by Ben A »

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2020, 07:01:38 PM »
The earlybird price of £139.95 for the pair will be available until the end of February.

where do I order the time machine  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
The earlybird price of £139.95 for the pair will be available until the end of February.

where do I order the time machine  :smiley-laughing:

D’oh!  End of May.  Now corrected in the original post.

But... can I suggest anyone interested doesn’t leave it until the last minute.  With every deadline we receive regretful emails from those who forgot, missed it due to work etc...

Just saying!

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2020, 10:46:41 PM »
they are looking really good, cant wait for mine to arrive.

Offline TRXsouth

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »
Greetings - I joined NGF today so this is the newbie’s very first question!
‘Boxed Anchor’ on KUAs
I have been intrigued by the ‘Boxed Anchor’ symbol on these carriers. My understanding is that the symbol originally meant acceptance on a train ferry, but the last cross channel ferry was Dover - Dunkirk which closed in 1995. The symbol now covers traversing the Channel Tunnel.
The KUAs were built in 1998 so have they ever travelled through the Channel Tunnel? If they have, does anyone have details? If they have not, could they actually do so, and in what scenario - where could they go in France or beyond?
I am researching for a continental layout and wonder whether I could justify the carriers based on a factual journey, not just ‘my layout; my trains’ - !

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2020, 06:15:25 PM »
Yes, the anchor displays that the wagon was designed for ferry use.  The KUAs replaced IQAs which were/are used across the continent (certainly France, Germany and Belgium) and I suspect that they were designed as direct replacements so provision was made to fit them ferry tie downs etc. In use the KUAs have been used almost exclusively for submarine nuclear fuel whereas the IQAs they replaced were used used for other nuclear materials IIRC.

I'm not aware that the KUAs have ever left the UK, though I think that at least one IQA has been through the tunnel.

In terms of where they could go to - France has a nuclear reprocessing facility at Cap de la Hague near Cherbourg and there used to be reasonably regular movements of material between Sellafield and Cap de la Hague.

Cheers Mike

Online acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »
The KUAs were built in 1998 so have they ever travelled through the Channel Tunnel? If they have, does anyone have details? If they have not, could they actually do so, and in what scenario - where could they go in France or beyond?
I am researching for a continental layout and wonder whether I could justify the carriers based on a factual journey, not just ‘my layout; my trains’ - !

Hi well,

I may well have the answer to this one after a little research and contacts, so as @red_death says the provision for going on a boat is there and there is little doubt that they are gauge to allow for traffic through the channel tunnel and may have ran a test through the tunnel.

Again as Mike says the IQAs carried other material than sub fuels they could do as they were not MOD rail assets (IIRC BNFL registered), but the KUA wagons are MOD rail assets (Military nuclear transport) as such there comes a raft of other regulations, restrictions and considerations that have to be taken into account which pretty much rule them out from been used on a service onto the continent, well without a lot of red tape and fresh agreements been made especially with France.

But all that been said if you are after a unique nuclear flow why not get the KUAs they were a direct replacement for the IQAs which did wonder into France on occasion and ignore the real life red tape! ;)

Offline TRXsouth

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2020, 12:50:53 PM »
Thank you Mike and Acko22 for your replies to my ‘boxed anchor’ queries - and while looking into this further, I am also now aware of the ‘boxed CT’ symbol. Would there have been any other destinations other than Cap de la Hague? Looking at a map, this is rather ‘round and up to the north west peninsula’ - l was wondering if there could be an ‘across Europe’ flow through France to Germany? I am researching a continental layout and trying to create a potential UK-Europe route to help me justify spending my limited budget!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £10.00
Below Goal: £90.00
Site Currency: GBP
 10%
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal