!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Revolution Goes Radioactive!  (Read 7527 times)

Snowwolflair and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
Re: Revolution Goes Radioactive!
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2019, 11:29:16 AM »
If the model is out of budgets then this website can give some hints for scratch building:
http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/kua/index.htm

The price of the wagons is certainly high, but compared to the likes of the Class B tanker the price per axle is actually less. It'd be higher still if were a Bachmann or Dapol model.

I think a bigger problem is the rate at which Revolution are anouncing new post-privatisation era models.

Talking to some fellow NGS Yorkshire Area Group members last weekend it was noticable that those modelling the last couple of decades were having to become more choosy over which of the new models they buy. They can't afford train length numbers of all the anounced models at the rate they're currently being anounced, especially as with many models it's a case of buy a train load now or suffer a very high risk of not being able to buy again.

As a sectorisation era modeller I have less of a problem as fewer of Revolution's models fit with where I'm modelling. The PFA container flats do cause some problems though; I already have 20+ of the C=Rail kits and whilst a second train would be nice to have, I can't justify spending upwards of £500 on a rake of wagons all in one go, but with a potentially one off production run I won't be able to spread the cost over a year or two like I was with my rake of HAAs by buying a few at a time every couple of months.

Steven B

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2019, 11:35:40 AM »
If the model is out of budgets then this website can give some hints for scratch building:

Steven B

Also there is a 3D printed version: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=16474.0

Regards

Neal.

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
I would like one, but am not prepared or able to buy two on the off chance I can sell one. I already have a lot on order from Revolution and can not justify the cost of two. A retrograde step in my mind.

Geoff

Geoff, try placing a wanted add in the N'porium. I've helped forum members get an item they couldn't access but I could. Yes, it's a leap of faith and trust but can work.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2019, 11:54:51 AM »

The price of the wagons is certainly high, but compared to the likes of the Class B tanker the price per axle is actually less. It'd be higher still if were a Bachmann or Dapol model.

I think a bigger problem is the rate at which Revolution are anouncing new post-privatisation era models.

Talking to some fellow NGS Yorkshire Area Group members last weekend it was noticable that those modelling the last couple of decades were having to become more choosy over which of the new models they buy. They can't afford train length numbers of all the anounced models at the rate they're currently being anounced, especially as with many models it's a case of buy a train load now or suffer a very high risk of not being able to buy again.

As a sectorisation era modeller I have less of a problem as fewer of Revolution's models fit with where I'm modelling. The PFA container flats do cause some problems though; I already have 20+ of the C=Rail kits and whilst a second train would be nice to have, I can't justify spending upwards of £500 on a rake of wagons all in one go, but with a potentially one off production run I won't be able to spread the cost over a year or two like I was with my rake of HAAs by buying a few at a time every couple of months.

Steven B

I get your point Steven but just because they ran in their timeframe doesnt mean they "have to have them" and if you do then you find the means of paying for it.

I missed out on the Regent class b tanks because I wasnt clued up enough on my location so I have paid considerably more to obtain the 15 I now own. I could of got 24 when they were first announced for the same money.

revolutioN produce fantastic quality wagons and that commands the cost they are which is in now way expensive for what they are producing. Theres a reason other companies wont touch these but that's the great thing regarding this brilliant set up.

I have Sturgeons on order and hopefully one day they will announce more wagons suited to me, one things for sure I will not miss out on the rake that I need to run and that will cost me whatever it costs IF they are a model "I MUST HAVE"

We have a company here who announces items and gets them built quicker then the others can reissue items. I dont think revolutioN should be moaned at for things coming out quickly or that they are selling them in a way that reduces the cost to us their customers
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:13:42 PM by exmouthcraig »

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2019, 12:05:02 PM »

I've had to pass on IPAs for this very reason. Had this announcement been another block train type, I'd have had to pass again. I fear my 3x Greenergy TEAs may never become six or more. :(  But this isn't just a RevolutioN problem. Bachmann have said that there'll be no more Farish Seacows/Sealions, so my two are destined for Heritage use. I'm glad that I have enough Farish JJAs as I doubt we'll see another release of those either.

I'm very optimistic that I'll be able to buy a brace of KUAs only because I won't need a dozen. Though I likely won't be able to order till close to the order book closing.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »

Steven B

Also there is a 3D printed version: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=16474.0

I noticed recently that David's website has gone offline, which is a shame as it had options to purchase decals/wheels at the same time. It's worth noting that each wagon is £50 for the unpainted body print only. Then you need 4 bogies, wheels, couplings etc, and to actually build and paint it.

Like Craig I totally agree that just because something is relevant for your chosen modelling period that doesn't mean you have to have it. I accept that Revolution's 'one off' production runs are not ideal for forming rakes over a period of time, but we've already seen more and more retailers take some of their models (I accept others, like the mk5s are not being sold through retailers), so that option comes to the fore, and it's not like Dapol or Farish stuff is available for years these days, with stuff selling through quickly.

Ultimately the long block trains that are a staple of modern operations are never going to be cheap to model. I'd argue that the KUAs are pretty cheap in that respect, £30 for a mk2 coach and £70 for a KUA and you have a fully prototypical train for a variety of traction. Contrast that with most other current generation wagons and you'll struggle. Realtrack's PCAs are lovely, but at £27 each I just can't justify the cost for the train of 30ish that I'd want. Farish's FIA container twins come up in discussion regularly at £75+ a pair, and you need more than 2 pairs for a prototypical train.

I think Revolution are actually very shrewd in the order they release things, for example the MMA coming to OO gauge first, to avoid cannibalising the market for the HOA, given there's almost certainly a lot of crossover. I accept if you go down the broad "post privitisation" tack there are a lot of models at once, but even in that context "at once" generally means split by a few months. The KUAs are expensive, yes, but they're niche and complex, I'll be having a pair!

I've had to pass on IPAs for this very reason.

But the order book hasn't yet closed, and retailers may well have some too. You can still get IZAs through retail channels, for example.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:50:56 PM by njee20 »

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2019, 01:19:03 PM »

I've had to pass on IPAs for this very reason.

But the order book hasn't yet closed, and retailers may well have some too. You can still get IZAs through retail channels, for example.

Indeedy. I pretty much agree with you and @exmouthcraig here - without a lottery win, I must and I do accept that I can't have everything I want in life and that goes across the board not just for model trains. Ergo, I'm choosing to pass on the IPAs so that I can choose to have something else. Something like KUAs!

But it's a curse of our western lives that while in the main we are well fed and healthy, we must bemoan missing out on another luxury material object.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
We're not oblivious to the need to improve both the breadth of our range in terms of appeal to a variety of time periods and locations.  We've been trying to schedule things better but we are always looking to improve our scheduling.  Generally we are working on 3 periods (at the moment): transition; 70s-80s; and "modern" (accepting that there is likely or hopefully some overlap between periods).

I think that part of the problem is that anything introduced in the late 70s - mid 80s is likely to either still be around or recently (last 5-10 years) in use.

I don't think that the batch production problem is unique to us - I treat all models as one off production runs as even if logic suggests that a second run would be worthwhile there are never any guarantees. Same with too much choice arriving from different sources at once - I've missed out on stuff I'd have liked to buy for similar reasons expressed above (JJAs being a case in point though that pain is reduced somewhat by having some NGS kits for autoballasters). 

Cheers Mike

Online Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2019, 09:37:12 PM »
order placed, looking forward to these.

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »

Hello all,

We have received EP1 samples of the KUA flask carriers.

The models actually arrived before CNY but we were focussing on closing the order book for the IPA car carriers until now.

They’ve been checked over and we have sent feedback to the factory. For further information and to order see our website here: www.revolutiontrains.com/news

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2020, 07:45:47 PM »
Lovely, must get my order in! I'm intrigued how they work on R1 curves, is there some lateral movement in the 'inner' bogies or something? Otherwise it feels like they'd almost work as a single, very long, bogie and likely derail!

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2020, 07:51:07 PM »
MONSTER!!!!!

Btw one of the lids, for want of a better word, looks a bit skew whiff. Or is that just the photo angle?

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2020, 08:06:08 PM »
Looks lovely - are these just being sold as a pair or can we get singles as well (thinking of my budget with the move and everything)?
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Smiffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 18903
  • 2mm Association Number: 4323
    • Awards