!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Proposed layout  (Read 1714 times)

Offline IanF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28927
    • Awards
Re: Proposed layout
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 08:03:00 PM »
OK - having listened to you all I have taken out the 3 way and actually that has freed up a bit of space to make the loco shed line a bit longer along with the middle lower left section for single engine.
Still to get to Goods shed (far right on original plan) i would have to move up onto line leading to tunnel and fiddle yard headshunt. Is that going to be a pain? I have about 350mm on the headshunt for the fiddle yard - enough?
This looks more workable to me and smoother around the single slip

Help - I don't know what I'm doing

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 08:23:44 PM »
Update on this layout for those interested.
I decided to create a 'mini' layout on a VERY tiny board to hone my completely absent skills in building a model railway. The good news is I think this is a complete winner for me. I've learnt;

• Track Laying
  • Point motor wiring
    • DC wiring
    • Control board wiring
      • Isolating sections
      • Ballasting
        • Building a scalescene.com building
        • Wagon building using N Gauge society kits

Now when I say learn't I have a loooonnngg way to go but at least now I know I don't want to use LED lights for each isolated section shown on my control board.
        So now I feel ready to move on to the larger (but not much larger) original planned layout.
        Aiming for 1948 - 1958 period. I want to make it dingy and dirty. I now have a couple of locos (0-6-0 PT's) one early crest and one late crest so the layout can give me some flexibility (maybe even very early diesel shunter?).

So - to all planning their first layout - try a mini / micro layout first. I only put in 2m of track and 2 sets of points and that was enough to start

But what do I know :doh:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 09:30:49 PM »
Good stuff - you've learned a lot in a short time.

I now have a couple of locos (0-6-0 PT's) one early crest and one late crest so the layout can give me some flexibility (maybe even very early diesel shunter?).

Probably best go for an 08 shunter. Introduced in 1952 and modelled by Farish

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2020, 10:04:25 PM »
Good stuff - you've learned a lot in a short time.

I now have a couple of locos (0-6-0 PT's) one early crest and one late crest so the layout can give me some flexibility (maybe even very early diesel shunter?).

Probably best go for an 08 shunter. Introduced in 1952 and modelled by Farish

My thoughts as well - thanks for the support. Did post a question about tube & wire for point control as an alternative - any thoughts? Pro's & Cons?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »
Sorry, but I can't help with that one. I'm sure others can as several use that method.

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »
Update on this layout for those interested.
I decided to create a 'mini' layout on a VERY tiny board to hone my completely absent skills in building a model railway. The good news is I think this is a complete winner for me. I've learnt;

• Track Laying
  • Point motor wiring
    • DC wiring
    • Control board wiring
      • Isolating sections
      • Ballasting
        • Building a scalescene.com building
        • Wagon building using N Gauge society kits

So - to all planning their first layout - try a mini / micro layout first. I only put in 2m of track and 2 sets of points and that was enough to start
        But what do I know :doh:
Eminently more sensible than my "right in at the deep end" approach of building a model of a real place, on detachable and transportable baseboards and using some 30 points, whilst trying to learn all that you have, plus having to scratchbuild all the buildings. The only thing from your list that I haven't had to learn was the NGS wagon kits, my experience of that thus far has been Peco kits which are just bolt together jobbies.

Still, I don't regret returning to the hobby, and in a smaller scale than I did some 40+ years previously - oh, and trying to do it properly this time around  ;)

[/list][/list]

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 10:58:46 AM »
Yes - but look at this rats nest!

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »
Yes - but look at this rats nest!

That's no rats nest, you should(n't) see my one for Coniston - it's more like a very deep bowl of multicoloured spaghetti gone wild  :D

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 02:33:34 PM »
Did post a question about tube & wire for point control as an alternative - any thoughts? Pro's & Cons?

Wire-in-tube is great if you have only a few points, and no long runs. I used this on a layout from the deep and distant past and I was very happy with it. You have to be careful when laying ballast or adding scenery not to let the PVA run up the tube. (Don't ask me how I know this - I must have read it somewhere...  :-[ )

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
Sorry! I've just seen your other thread. I'll copy this across.

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »
SO - with COVID-19 putting a halt to this (as I can't go and get the wood to build the base) I have been 'learning' on my mini layout. Put in tube and wire, built a bit of scenery (small hill, fromcard and papier mache) and my thoughts started wandering to the operating side of the proposed layout. Shunting as mentioned before but I want to build a story around it and this is where my imagination is coming to a halt. Although a non-prototype model I do want to have some kind of story to enhance the enjoyment. I have a couple of 0-6-0 PT loco's - ex GWR - period 1948 - 1958 (early and late crest) will probably add an 08 diesel in at some point. The essence is this is a small offshoot from a branch line or even main line (don't know if that is prototypical or not?)
I was thinking of the Goods shed being an 'Agricultural Engineer' outfit (or Engineering works) of some sort - that way we could get a variety of traffic 'visiting' the shed - repair work, new build items, etc. The coal yard will be serving the loco shed / goods shed (works) and the local area 'off board'.
Does that sound like a plan? Any ideas welcome.
Slight track adjustment means my drg does not now line up but you get the idea

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 06:55:24 PM »
The coal yard will be serving the loco shed / goods shed (works) and the local area 'off board'.

Only one thing springs to mind immediately.  Loco coaling facilities and supply would usually be completely separate from commercial coal - partly because loco coal was frequently not much use for household or factory supplies and partly because the loco coal would have been purchased in bulk by the railway and sent directly out to the loco depots, whereas the commercial coal could be coming in from different suppliers and in different grades.

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
The coal yard will be serving the loco shed / goods shed (works) and the local area 'off board'.

Only one thing springs to mind immediately.  Loco coaling facilities and supply would usually be completely separate from commercial coal - partly because loco coal was frequently not much use for household or factory supplies and partly because the loco coal would have been purchased in bulk by the railway and sent directly out to the loco depots, whereas the commercial coal could be coming in from different suppliers and in different grades.
Thanks Chris - I guess that's good because it gives me an 'extra' supply to the board - another operation

Offline IanF

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
Finally managed to get some wood to build the base but I'm a bit worried, I bought from a famous DIY outlet when they had relaxed the lockdown rules a little. What I'm worried about is a slight bow (3mm) in the length (1400mm). I'm thinking it won't be a major issue?
So I have a 1.5mm incline in 700mm - i'm also thinking that as long as the now constructed board does not warp.
Failing that it's start again when lockdown is over and I can get some decent wood :veryangry:

Next step (if I don't decide to bin this) is to give it a quick undercoat and then lay the 'paper point' printouts for positioning - make sure it all fits as it should. Then start wiring points and laying some track and laying the tubes for point control (decided to go old fashioned way and not have point motors)

It's been a long time coming and I'm worried that in my haste to get things moving I have not made the best start not getting some 'good wood'. Hey Ho :worried:

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
Have you put in extra cross bracing under the base board Ian?

Also your top looks to be quite thin....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal