!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: S&DJR 6 Wheeled Coaches  (Read 430 times)

Offline Melchi

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
S&DJR 6 Wheeled Coaches
« on: November 18, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »
I've always loved the look of a loco pulling a rake of short coaches and really want to reproduce this on my layout.  In order to do this though I would need a good set of short coaches and I wasn't satisfied with the RTR models available.

Since I got my resin 3D printer I've been working on a rake of S&D coaches as I love the livery and look of the 6 wheeled sets.

My aim is to produce a rake of the following:
luggage wagon
1st Saloon
1st/3rd Coach
3rd Coach
3rd/Brake

They will have NEM pockets and use Graham farish wheels.

So far I have finished the Cad on the luggage and 4 compartment 3rd Coach.  I  have already printed quite a few test parts to get the fit and finish correct especially the chassis and wheel configuration.  I hope to have the first two coaches printed and ready for painting by the end of the week.

Cad work on the rest of the rake is also well underway and I'll post pics once its done.

Let me know what you think and I'll make some updates on here as things progress.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:39:48 PM by Melchi »

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
Re: S&DJR 6 Wheeled Coaches
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 01:44:03 PM »
What are your plans with the 6 wheelers if you have curves on your layout? They won't like the typical radius bends that appear on N layouts and even with my generous ones I have had to remove the flanges from the centre wheelset on the longer 6 wheelers.

Offline Melchi

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »
The middle wheel has quite a bit of play in it.  On my test chassis they handled radius 2 curves without much of an issue, there was a slight amount of extra resistance but not enough to be a concern.

So far I've found the real issue for the 6 wheelers is changes in gradients.  At the top of an incline they tended to pivot on the middle wheel and derail.  I've added more movement to the middle wheel so hopefully that should be less of a problem now.

I have a new test chassis printing now and once that's ready I will be testing it extensively on a few layouts including one with a 9 tier helix to put it through its paces.

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
looking good, will you reproducing any to sell as I've always liked the six and four wheel coaches from the SDR.

Bob

Offline Melchi

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »
That's the plan, I can produce some coaches and sets if people are interested.  They will be in kit form and will need painting but I can offer couplings and wheels so you have a complete coach.

Finished the Cad on the 1st Saloon.

These are produced from the reference photos and diagrams I can find online.  If anyone has any more reference photos of these coaches they can share with me that would be very much appreciated.

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 07:52:10 PM »
Looking good I’d be interested in a set, or even two...for some reason I have to have two of everything I buy in the way of n gauge rolling stock...

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 07:57:37 PM »
These look really good. Having a dabble recently with a CAD programme myself I can appreciate how much hard work it's taken to get to that point.

I'd certainly be interested in some. I recently, finally, got hold of a Farish Collectors Club SDJR loco, and it would be nice to have some carriages for it. The old Farish four wheelers look appalling by today's standards.

Good stuff!
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
@Melchi I've just realised your location. I used to work in the railway works the other side of the canal.

:thumbsup:

P.s. what CAD program are you using?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 08:02:27 PM by emjaybee »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »
Very nice work!

To the question of how to deal with the centre wheels and tight curves, take a look at how Roco deal with it on their German coaches. 

Basically the central axlebox and leaf spring assembly are free to slide sideways, and the outer axles in their boxes can rotate a little  plus they are connected by thin links to the centre assembly. This way the wheels as a whole can easily handle 9" radius.

(judging by the low number on the inventory label, I've had this one since the 80s  :D )

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 08:24:00 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 12:11:00 AM »
Very nice work!

To the question of how to deal with the centre wheels and tight curves, take a look at how Roco deal with it on their German coaches. 

Basically the central axlebox and leaf spring assembly are free to slide sideways, and the outer axles in their boxes can rotate a little  plus they are connected by thin links to the centre assembly. This way the wheels as a whole can easily handle 9" radius.

(judging by the low number on the inventory label, I've had this one since the 80s  :D )

A simplified version of a proper Cleminson chassis - so much better than the basic floating centre axle employed on most 6-wheel models  :thumbsup:

Offline Melchi

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 09:04:37 AM »
That's a very cleaver solution to the 6 wheeled problem.  Sadly with the running boards on these coaches its not something I can implement. I'm going to have to stick with the floating middle axle.

emjaybee - Its a small world, I live right next to the works, I'm using Fusion 360 for these.

Got my first prints of the final design done (I have to admit there has been quote a few iterations to get to this point).  I haven't done all the clean up work and got the fit quite right and they are just placed together at the moment but so far I'm happy with how these have come out.  As you can see they have full interiors (which also adds a nice amount of weight to them).

These are the luggage wagon and full 3rd coach.

Tests and the handle 2nd radius turns well.

Almost done with the CAD on the rest of the coaches and hope to have these printed out soon.  Then I have to tackle the windows as I haven't printed in clear yet.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:08:51 AM by Melchi »

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »
Looking good!

Are you printing them at home or via someone like Shapeways?

What are they printed in, I'm not that well up on 3D printing?

Offline Melchi

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »
They are printed at home on my Elegoo Mars printer.  Its an amazing machine for the price it can be picked up.

Final 2 coaches are ready for printing.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 11:10:21 AM »
Are you thinking about putting them on Shapeways at some stage?

I reckon with the CAD you've done the detail will really pop with their fine detail plastic.

Offline Melchi

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »
I've got all the bodies printed now.  Some rework to be done on the chassis and the roofs but they should be printed soon.

I found the end wheels in the chassis were a bit too snug and caused a lot of drag through curves.  The tweaks should allow some movement of the front and back wheels to create less drag.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here