!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 17872 times)

Online lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2020, 09:45:54 PM »
Thanks again Chris, yes I am the same, on the first layout I had a hinged door in the side board, I made it a touch small even for my small hands. On East Lancashire lines I made a board which lifted off over the left tunnel, I never did get to building a town on the top. Another tunnel had a lift out section disguised with bushes and rocks etc so I could clean the track. If you have a hiddens section on your layout it is almost a certainty your train will stop there at sometime, access is imperative.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2020, 09:47:54 PM »
Look forward to more progress on this. For now, stay safe

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #362 on: April 04, 2020, 10:11:30 PM »
@crewearpley40 Chris, this image from my old layout "East Lancashire Lines" shows what can be done. The scenery above the two tunnels is all one piece and lifts off for access to the tracks just inside the two tunnel mouths.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #363 on: April 05, 2020, 12:25:30 AM »
Thanks. I remember that scene. Keep up the good work. Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #364 on: April 05, 2020, 09:48:53 PM »
Tonight I have finished some more track tweaking, and I have fixed the left scenic board in position. I have noticed the track leading down to the fiddle yard from the high level is still not quite right, so that needs some more tweaking, the good news is the track that was loose lines up ok. Also tonight I have been working on the numbers for my Cobalt Alpha control panel, I have decided to colour code them for ease of use so I have been painting them. Over the next few days the plan is to finish the wiring for the circuit boards, I also need to fit the reset panels in the front valance. I want to set them so they do not get damaged when walking past. I also plan to connect the fiddle yard up to the SB5 and check everything works.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #365 on: April 06, 2020, 09:51:29 PM »
Tonight I have worked on tweaking the fiddle yard track where it joins the left scenic board, the test will be when I attempt to run trains over the join. I have decided against setting the reset panel's into the front valance, I realised when I started to measure up the valance wood is not deep enough. So I have now fitted the reset panel for the front circuit breakers onto the valance and connected the wires using Kwikonnects they are easy to use and easy to dissconnect if required. I have cut the hole big enough in the front valance so I can add warning led's later. The panel I am using for the fiddle yard already has led warning lights because that circuit board was fitted under the old layout board. Tomorrow I will cut the hole for the other circuit breaker panel, that will be fitted on the rh side next to where the Alpha central is going to be fitted.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2020, 08:48:49 PM »
Well tonight I have made the hole for the circuit board panel and fitted the panel to the valance. I have also fitted the rh scenic board to the layout so it is all together now a complete layout. I have fitted the wiring harness and connected it up I have also connected the main supply bus to the fiddle yard electronics. I have finished painting the numbers for the Alpha panel and given them a coat of varnish for protection. The next job is fitting them in position on the Alpha panel. I have a bit more track tweaking to do I have noticed another track soldered joint that has come loose so that needs fettling then everything should be ready for the big switch on.......will it all work.....?

By the way keep safe everybody.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:53:11 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #367 on: April 07, 2020, 08:57:51 PM »
Well tonight I have made the hole for the circuit board panel and fitted the panel to the valance. I have also fitted the rh scenic board to the layout so it is all together now a complete layout. I have fitted the wiring harness and connected it up I have also connected the main supply bus to the fiddle yard electronics. I have finished painting the numbers for the Alpha panel and given them a coat of varnish for protection. The next job is fitting them in position on the Alpha panel. I have a bit more track tweaking to do I have noticed another track soldered joint that has come loose so that needs fettling then everything should be ready for the big switch on.......will it all work.....?

By the way keep safe everybody.

Good luck with the switch on - are you going to post a video of it working?

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2020, 09:01:20 PM »
ready for the big switch on.......

Are you getting a celebrity in to throw the switch?  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #369 on: April 07, 2020, 09:07:35 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments, would you believe I am a bit nervous of the switch on. I have spent so long on testing all the wiring so in theory it should work and yes if it does run I will post a video to celebrate.
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »
ready for the big switch on.......

Are you getting a celebrity in to throw the switch?  ;)

Sadly social distancing etiquette has knocked that idea on the head.

if it does run I will post a video to celebrate.

Look forward to seeing the vid then, Chris :)

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #371 on: April 10, 2020, 09:19:14 PM »
Well Tonight I took the plunge and plugged the SB5 Booster into the system, my worries were unfounded. I did not connect the left scenic board just the right front where the electronics are and the fiddle yard. Well the good news the system fired up has normal, I have one or two issues trying to run a train on the right front board with dirty track plus only one point has a motor at this moment in time. Messing around with my UM 3f I manged to make a short and the reset buttons worked correctly so that is good news. I do not yet have led indicators for the front board, the next job is a track cleaning session and fix a few track issues I have. I found a bad track joint, of course it is almost under the overpass and I also have found another track board join that has come loose which needs soldering. I have also found a track join where one track seems a touch high where the track goes over the viaduct. But I am pleased that things work ok that I have tried up to now, I need to find my jumper cables and connect the left scenic board. I should be able to have a good run on there with no points and also I need to test run trains on the fiddle yard. Sorry not a video yet but at least a pic.

I forgot to add Everybody Keep Safe.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:32:37 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #372 on: April 10, 2020, 10:29:39 PM »
Perhaps I should explain what gave me doubts about  my wiring on this layout. When I put my meter on the wiring connections with the  PSX Circuit breakers connected it showed a short, dissconnecting them and the short dissapeared. I did find a short on one board, that was a pair of droppers connected to the wrong bus, that was easy. But it just shows how you can start to doubt yourself especially after asking on the forum and guys where saying you must have wired something wrong somewhere. Now I can look forward to progressing with the layout, finish tweaking the track and fit the motors on the rh scenic board I then need to do a test run on the fiddle yard. It is a bit dark on there at the moment since fitting the back scenic boards so I need to pull the layout out for access. The only problem I might have is if I have wired the point motor frog wires the wrong way round. I am confident I have not but we shall see, watch this space, once I have the testing done I can start on the scenics again.....hooray.
Keep Safe Everybody.
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: April 11, 2020, 09:42:08 AM »
Methinks we need to see a vid of the testing, Chris ;)

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #374 on: April 11, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »
Tonight I have fixed three soldered track Joints, two of those had come loose the third just needing a bit of tweaking. I have fixed another joint near the underpass were one rail was not in the fishplate, then I glued the track down. I have also re aligned a siding where it joined the goods yard point, waiting for glue to dry now. I have just found a point where the track has come out of the insulated joiner but I have managed to fix it and re glue the track.
 I am now going to check through my anoulouge Cobalt motors and see which are the best ones to use. I need at least 4 at the moment, maybe a another for two sidings. I have two AD2FX accessory decoders I can use with them, I can work two motors of each input so I will figure some way of using at least one too control two points. The next job is testing the fiddle yard and of course the gradient sections, I am confident I should have no problems.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal