!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 17016 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #345 on: March 30, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »
@crewearpley40 Thanks again Chris I had another look and found it, so I will wait now for delivery.
Here is a purchase I made a few weeks ago for use with the layout when I build it back up.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2020, 09:06:09 PM »
Well tonight first I swapped another Ip motor for the one with the fault, it was going to be used on the rh scenic board. So all the motors on the fiddle yard are now fully operational, the boards are now back on their legs. Something I have found out is the electronics hinged board, the catch is not strong enough to hold it up, its too heavy. So I will need to find another way of keeping that up or just leave it down, its no big deal. I have managed to repair the point, number 5 again, which is crucial for the fiddle yard down trains. My lamp started working again so with better vision I managed to glue the switch rail again, I think it is better this time. It is just has well I managed to repair it because I have found out the point I ordered from Rails is now showing on B/O , I am certain they were showing stock yesterday. I have had a tidy up in the railway room it was a bit of a mess, next job is trimming the point motor rods. Care needs to be taken when using a cutting disc, you can easily melt the tie bars, the trick is not to try and cut the bar in one go let the rod cool down.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2020, 09:12:40 PM »
Chrism at coniston may have ideas what to use for lighting chris. Would spotlights work for you ?

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #348 on: March 31, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »
Thanks @crewearpley40 Chris, I am not too bothered at the moment, the lighting on the fiddle yard is 3 led lamps in a fitting for the centre of the room but mounted on the back of the beam. I have got some Gu10 bulbs to fit, they are a bit brighter but they get very hot and do not seem to last very long. Eventually I will fit some better lighting for the whole layout so I can use my decent camera to take some pics. Not sure if I can compete with Roger on Wrenton but it would help with better lighting.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #349 on: April 01, 2020, 06:30:19 AM »
I'm using GU10 LEDs - 350 Lumens each.  They give a good light into the corners.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #350 on: April 01, 2020, 05:28:05 PM »
Thanks Laurence you the gu10ís do give more light than the led bulbs, that is ok in winter but they do get a bit hot. Tonight I plan on cutting the motor rods on the fiddle yard, then connect the scenic boards back up and complete the wiring for the circuit breakers. I will then need to do some track tweaking, I have noticed 1 or 2 uneven sections of track. One of the soldered rails on the end of the left scenic board has come loose, my fault leaning one board in front of another has caused the damage, easily fixed.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: April 01, 2020, 07:03:09 PM »
Thanks Laurence you the gu10ís do give more light than the led bulbs, that is ok in winter but they do get a bit hot.
If you use 350 Lumen LED GU10s, they don't get hot and they give a better illumination than quartz GU10s.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #352 on: April 01, 2020, 08:13:12 PM »
Thanks Laurence I will have to look out for some of those. The ones I have just have 2w on them, there is one in the draw says 1.2w but that is blue. They were left by my son when he moved out years ago, the fitting was in the centre of the room. It did not give enough light out for me for modeling, so I replaced it with the flurencent light.
Just managed to solder the piece of track on the board joint, it was a bit difficult, with the board being on its side did not help, I think I melted the sleeper too.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:24:47 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #353 on: April 01, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »
Well my plans for tonight have just changed, while I was checking out the wiring for the circuit boards I noticed one of the soldered wires to the PSX has come adrift. To re solder that wire the circuit board has to come off, it will be a lot easier if I remove the fiddle yard board again to get too it...damm.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #354 on: April 01, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »
Just a update: I have fixed the loose wire on the circuit board,I managed that without removing the circuit board. While I had the circuit board stripped down, I fixed the hinged board problem, a simple block of wood and a screw to hold the board in position. I also decided to make the wiring loom while I had the board out, easier than trying to check the colours crawling under the board. I have made the loom with a plugable choc block at each end, male at one end female at the other, I also made sure the wire is long enough too this time. So tomorrow I will fix the fiddle yard board back in position then I can cut the motor rods to length.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:16:13 PM by lil chris, Reason: correction »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #355 on: April 02, 2020, 09:22:14 PM »
I have not done a lot tonight, I have been busy in other parts of the house. Some of the jobs are boring but needed doing like sorting through some of my old clothes and then getting rid of old paperwork. The paperwork  had been building up for quite a while, my shredder has had its work cut out the last couple of days. I have also done some more work on my computer, I bought a leaner and smaller case a few weeks ago just before the lockdown so I was luck there. Tonight I have re arranged my main computer set up which has given me a lot more room.
Re the railway, I have re installed the fiddle yard board, I still need to cut the motor control rods then I can start some more work on the left scenic board. The first job will be to fit the back scene boards then I can put the left scenic board in position in front of the fiddle yard. There are a couple of track issues which need sorting/tweaking, there is a curve with a joint that needs sorting. I need to make sure the track joint that came loose lines up correctly too. After that a job that needs some woodwork is installing the small reset panel for controlling the circuit boards on the fiddle yard board. I can then connect that with the loom I made last night. I have found out why I got some measurements wrong, I could not find my tape measure so I used a ruler I found. I assumed it was 12" like all school rulers were, it's not it's a 15" ruler, no wonder I was out a bit using it, back to the tape.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #356 on: April 04, 2020, 09:15:02 PM »
More progress tonight, I have cut all the Motor operating rods, no problems apart from one which was in a difficult position. The point was nearly under the overpass for the high level but I manged to extend the cutting wheel out of the chuck enough to reach the rod. I then fitted all the back boards to the left scenic board, my first attempt the tunnels did not line up correctly. So I undid them and moved the slightly left, this worked out pretty good because I had noted the right scenic board the back board seemed a touch long and it saved having to plane some wood off it to get things to fit. The left scenic back boards are made of two boards end to end, there is a slight gap between them so I have put masking tape over the join for now. I am not sure what will be going on these backboards yet, the worse case senario I can put trees in front if needed. I have also done some track tweaking in a couple of places while it was easy to get too, I have also glued the track down with copydex along with extra some cork where needed. Where I have the track join which I have just glued to make it line up better it might be in a tunnel anyway so good running is more important than how it looks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:16:17 PM by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #357 on: April 04, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »
Neat. Chris have you planned for accessibility in case you need to do maintenance, track cleaning  derailment? Just a
 Thought . Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #358 on: April 04, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »
Thanks Chris, yes  there is going to be a tunnel there covering the four tracks on the left. It will either be open from the left side or lift off vertically, one of the too or a combination of both. It seems a shame there is such a large space at the left of this board, not sure what is going there, scenery of some sort. I want this railway with trains flowing through some countryside, that was the best bits on my old layout. One of the plans is for a large mill to the left of the river and behind the monkey bridge. I have a Metcalfe kit waiting for some kit bashing, once the layout is back together I will have more room again and I can use the small modeling desk I made from remnants of the old layout.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 10:05:25 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #359 on: April 04, 2020, 09:35:58 PM »
Okay. I just like to have accessibility and a simple lift out section with scenery on top helps. Bob @Bob Tidbury has this feature on his layout and I'm working on off cuts for my own in one place in the corner

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal