!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 9803 times)

Milton Rail and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #255 on: February 15, 2020, 10:50:53 PM »
A bit more frustration tonight, I solved the up and down line contamination, easy as described in my last post. But tonight I was still showing a problem on my meter with the left and right rails showing a fault. The obvious cause would be droppers wired the wrong way round but I have double checked them. The cause is the Circuit breaker, I disconnected that and no fault, unless I also connect one of the two digital ip point motors. The cause with the motor is simple, they are still in the centre position ready for fitting, once activated they will be easy to sort, if its still the wrong, just swap the feeds over. So it might be something similar in the circuit breakers, I will just leave them dissconnected for now while I finish the wiring. Tonight I have been trimming the cork to give a nice shoulder for the track and one of the tracks had come loose on the board join just near the monkey bridge so I have re soldered that. Back to finishing the feeds on this board on the right hand side tomorrow.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:26 PM »
Well tonight I decided to finish the high level track on the fiddle yard board,there was a gap of about 10", I also fitted the droppers. I would have done a lot more tonight but I have not been well for the last 24 hours so I am pleased I managed to do that.  I also fitted some buffer stops at the end of the 3 fiddle yard end sidings, just blocks of ply but thats all I need to stop a train running off the end. Hopefully I will crash on with the rest of the wiring tomorrow.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
You take care Chris, health is more important than layouts. I do think you could have chosen better words for your last sentence though.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2020, 09:58:05 PM »
Just thought I would post this short video of my new layout. I made a few mistakes like not mentioning the name, not mentioning the left fiddle yard board and calling the left scenic board the right but you get the idea.
Lil Chris

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
A good explanatory video Chris.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2020, 05:28:56 PM »
A good explanatory video Chris.  :thumbsup:
:hellosign:.
 Totally agree, nice work Chris
        regards Derek

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2020, 10:45:38 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments. Tonight I have done more work on the first scenic board .I have added 3 more tag strips, all dropper wires are now connected to a tag strip. I have also wired the end of the bus cables to jumper sockets ready for joining the lh scenic board. I will use jumper wires to join the two scenic boards, they worked well on the old layout with no problems. To complete the bus wiring  on this board I just need to add feed wires from the bus to the tag strips. I have thought about connecting one of the bus to the SB5 direct and having a test run, I will let you know the result if I do.
Lil Chris

Offline Ricky B

• N Gauge Society Number: 26895
    • Awards
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2020, 11:24:39 PM »
I'm enjoying following your progress lil chris. Lots of wiring and gizmos- way above me most of that! Very impressive.👍

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2020, 10:36:06 AM »
Thanks @Ricky B pleased you have sorted your point problem. Hoping that i do not have that issue with this layout, i should not has i have modified the two curved points for my station loop. Just having a few problems with the wiring i do not understand at the moment. I wired my old layout the same way which worked so it should be ok.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2020, 10:31:14 PM »
Tonight I have finished the wiring on the right scenic board, all tag strips are connected correctly. My meter is showing a problem of a short if I connect a Cobalt motor or connect the bus's to the circuit breakers, maybe they need power to them so they can configure themselves. So tonight I tried connecting the up bus direct to the main bus from the SB5. I plugged it all in no problems except trying to run a loc through the points was fraught with problems. The springs have been removed ready for using the Cobalt motors and the frog wires are not connected yet. So I gave up on that and tried to run the loco on the high level up track( no points ), that was better after a track clean. I would show a video but I have no software for editing movies at the moment since I upgraded the pc to W10. At least I now know my wiring is correct and working.
Lil Chris

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #265 on: February 18, 2020, 11:30:18 PM »
 :hellosign:
   Running trains is always excellent progress Chris   :thumbsup:
      regards Derek.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: February 19, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
Thanks Derek, I have more testing to do yet. I noticed last night after running the loco although it could not go over the board join, no power on the next board,  I tried a coach which was not good. At least one of the board joins needs some tweaking, one of the rails on one join looks lower which caused the coach to de-rail. I will continue doing the wiring then I can do proper testing and tweaking before ballasting, I want good running on this layout.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:39:41 AM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: February 19, 2020, 11:56:05 AM »

Great photo and progress Chris - looking good!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #268 on: February 19, 2020, 08:57:04 PM »
Tonight I have fixed the board join near the monkey bridge, It was a case of heating the solder and re aligning the rail. I have also found out a point on the goods yard was too near a crossbeam so I have swapped the point for a new large radius point which moved the motor a little leaving room for the motor. I am now just re soldering the feed wires which have all moved to the left. I am then going to fit the Cobalt anolouge point motors to every remaining point, only the two curved points are digital on the scenic board. The next job will be to make a start on the feeds on the left scenic board, there are not many bit they are a bit spaced out, no points to worry about though. Another job that will need my attention soon is one of the board joints from the left scenic board to the fiddle yard board. That will be difficult because it is on a gradient with curves, I was not happy with it when I looked last night. At the end of the day if I can not tweak it I will just relay it with new track over the join.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: February 19, 2020, 11:07:51 PM »
I have finished re laying the goods siding point and headshunt and re attached the feeds. I have found another mistake I have made I have put one of the jumper sockets for the bus where there is the central board support, so that needs moving a easy enough job. I have just been checking my anolouge Cobalt motors, I have plenty spares motors but not sure if the bar is long enough to reach through the point, I must have something ie wire I could use to replace them if needed. I have also figured out which way the switches work to wire the frogs and wrote it down so I do not forget. I will start fitting the anolouge motors tomorrow now I have sorted the best ones. Out of 12 used Cobalt motors I only found one that did not seem to work off a 9v battery but some are slow some are noisier. I remember having one that seemed to take ages to work so that is probably the one.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal