!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 7889 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »
Well  today I went to the model shop hoping to get some more tag strips, unfortunately he did not have anymore. Then I remembered a radio shop that used to be in Bolton, I thought it had closed a few years ago but luckily I found out it had relocated to Farnworth. I mangaed to buy some more tag strips from there so I now should have enough to do the fiddle yard. I was trying to figure out how to make the few I had last out, I can now fit the extra ones where needed on the boards and avoid long wires. Just finishing the box for the command centre at the moment, back to more soldering tonight.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline tc4332

• Awards
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2020, 04:55:15 PM »
Wow Chris, I am enjoying following your progress and today you have taken me down a path that I thought had died. Modern Radio still lives!!!!!
I will be paying them a visit when I return home. I really thought that the business had vanished.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2020, 06:52:59 PM »
Hi there @tc4332 you must be local to me then. Yes Modern Radio lives its on Gladstone rd Farnworth now.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline tc4332

• Awards
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2020, 08:33:07 PM »
Hi Chris,
Just another 80 year old living in Wigan. Drove down to Chepstow today for a meeting tomorrow. Then Thursday return via Bridgewater.
Retired electronics engineer.
No actual layout yet, waiting for son and his family to move out then I can use their bedroom. Lots of plans but hoping that they wont be pipe dreams for much longer. Apart from the kids I am on my own now, lost my wife 18 months ago.
I am really admiring your skill levels.
I'll keep in touch if you are willing.
Ray.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »
Thanks Ray @tc4332 for your post by all means keep in touch, I have sent you a pm.
Tonight I have done some more work with the tag strips, I have re wired the first two using smaller tag strips and labeled them up better. You have to way things up, for some reason in my brain I had used tag strips that had too many connections so I was wasting some. You tend to forget you need to seperate the up and the down lines and count the connections needed. I do not want long dropper wires, they need to be has short has possible and connect direct to the tag strips.I have also fitted the electronics board to the bottom of the baseboard, I will fit the box for the command centre when the paint is dry probably tomorrow night. One of the droppers came off a piece of track, luckily it was in a accessable place and I managed to solder it back in place without doing any damage. One of the next jobs is to fit the two pairs of bus wires in position and then run cables from the bus to each tag strip. I am thinking of using the wago connectors on the wires from the bus to the tag strips, this will enable me to dissconnect parts of the track which should help in fault finding If I need too.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2020, 06:34:49 AM »
It's all coming together.  I assume that the little boxes with holes in at the edges/corners of the baseboards are to locate the legs.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »
Yes thanks Laurence, you are spot on they are the leg supports.I am looking forward to the next bit ie fitting the sub bus wires, i might be able to run something.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2020, 10:27:08 PM »
Well more progress today, I have made a start on fitting the sub bus for the up lines. I have now run out of large Choc block connectors, I have loads of small connectors but they are not much use for the way I am wiring this bus. I saw the idea on Youtube, its a good idea but heavy on the choc blocks. On the left side of the board all the droppers are connected to the respective tag strips, next job, the tag strips will be connected to the sub up bus. On the rh side on the pic you can see the box for the command centre fitted below the board and too the left is the board with the circuit breakers in the folded up position. A trip to B&Q tomorrow and probably the model shop. By the way I have fixed my soldering work station, I managed to drill and tap the end and fit a screw. Has I was tightening the screw the head snapped off the screw but thats ok I have have filed it flush now, has long as it holds the end in.

Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2020, 04:23:16 PM »
I have been to the model shop today and B&Q. I spent some serious money today 10x Cobalt IP motors, this will leave me two spare after fitting the motors to the fiddle yard. The plan is to use all digital on the fiddle yard, I was going to use a few anolouge motors along with a AD-2fx but having all digital motors simplifies the wiring. The two spare digital motors I will use for the station loop and I can then use anolouge motors for the goods sidings and the station crossover. I was a bit lucky with the motors,a box of 6, my local model shop was going to return them has not required, he had only ordered single motors.
I have also got the 30a connectors strips ( choc blocks) plus a few more cable tie wraps which will come in handy for keeping the wiring tidy. In the picture you can also see the new tag strips I bought.

I should add on here please do not tell my wife it's not my birthday till August.........
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:30:08 PM by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
Your secret is safe Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2020, 06:21:21 PM »
Your secret is safe Chris.

'Course it is ......... how much is it worth?  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »
Tonight I have fitted the down sub bus using the new cable. This time I bought 1.5mm mains cable which is lighter than the previous cable I have been using. I might have got away with using the smaller choc blocks if I had realised. They only cost 3 so its no big deal, just need to connect the tag strips on the left side, I have prepared some small tag strips for the right side where there are not has many feeds. I do not want to waste the larger tag strips, the fiddle yard will be the challenge, 10 tracks including the high level gradient and 19 points. The left scenic board should be a doddle by comparison, just a few feed wires. By the way the old soldering iron after the repair now works a treat and is now a lot safer to use.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:37:46 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2020, 10:01:18 PM »
Well tonight a bit of frustration, I usually go playing snooker with my two sons but being Valentines day they have give it a miss. I began doing more wiring on the bus connections checking with my meter has I go along. Has soon as I connected the down bus thats when trouble started, I started by back tracking trying to find the cause of the fault then it dawned on me. I tried the meter on the track itself and the down line and the upline where connected. I then realised the cause, I have used two uni frog points has a station crossover. You do not need insulated joiners, but of course on my layout they are two different district's so I need the insulated joiners between the two points. So I need to turn the board back over and pull up a bit of track and fit the joiners, it is glued down with copydex so easy enough to get too. Simple mistake to make but very annoying I made it, I seem to have wired all the droppers the correct way round.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:02:51 PM by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2020, 06:42:59 AM »
An easy mistake to make, Chris.  Also, you may have trouble when a loco uses the crossover, because it will bridge the insulated gaps, so a couple of frog juicers may be called for on one of the tracks, with IRJs on either side of one of the point. 
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
Well that was easy,I have fitted the unsul joiners already, two tins weighting the track while the glue drys and then back to working on the connections.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal