!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 17523 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #225 on: February 03, 2020, 06:56:16 PM »
You are certainly rattling along with this project Chris.
Looking really good.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: February 03, 2020, 09:21:55 PM »
Well tonight after laying the track I have decided to leave solderingthe feeds to the track till I get the new soldering Iron I have ordered from Rapid. It should be a lot more nimble than the workstation I have has good as it is. I have also made a change to my plan for the station loop, the initial plan was for a trailing point off the end of the loop but I have changed that to a facing point instead. This will lead to the sidings with a head shunt and another point allowing goods trains to reverse and shunt into the sidings, I think that will work quite well. I have a couple of old points I could use but I intend to use a new unifrog point leading into the sidings for reliability. I have just put some cork down in the station area for the station loop and platforms etc. The station is only going to be a small suburban station with a loop on the upline and the goods spur. Building the scenery is going to be fun on this layout there is plenty of open spaces, there will be a few hills ( for the tunnels ) and of course justification for the viaduct over the river.
Just thought I would add a pic showing track so far.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:47:38 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2020, 06:26:59 AM »
It's all starting to come together nicely now, Chris.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2020, 10:37:30 PM »
The new soldering iron has come today, the tip is a bit bigger than I would have liked. Not sure if I could cut it down a touch without damaging it, so I better leave well be. I managed to wire a few feeds in with it and tonight I have finished the station loop along with a rh unifrog point bought today. I have been putting labels on tag strips ready for the wiring, I have also made some feed wires ready to use. I have also painted the track with sleeper grime over the viaduct.
 A bit of frustration tonight, I can not find my box of shrink wrap anywhere, it has dissapeared into the void. Luckyly I found a piece that I could use, I needed it to wire the frog on the new point, I am also running out of metal joiners so another trip to the model shop. Today I bought a couple of Metcalfe kits, the warehouse kit pn182 which looks has near to a old mill I has I can get. I will probably modify it to make it more mill like. The other kit is a pn147 the Railway bridge in stone, I am hoping I can use this on the road from the viaduct factory, that will also need some modifications making to fit in place. I have seen lots of you guys on the site scratch building but I know my limitations, the monkey bridge is about my limit.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: February 05, 2020, 11:15:05 PM »
Tonight was soldering night preparing the tag strips ready for installing my dcc bus. I then checked them all with my multimeter for continuity. I need to plan where all the equipment is going, I will be using 4 x Psx circuit breakers. Two for the fiddle yard up and down tracks and two on the scenic boards up and down tracks. On the fiddle yard boards where most of the point motors are they will have a seperate bus wired from the  Alpha control box. I am not sure what I am doing with the points and motors on the rh scenic board yet, there is not enough inputs left on the Alpha for the scenic board, all being used on the Fiddle yard boards. I might make a simple panel for the station loop and the small goods yard and use some of the old switches from the old control panel or save up and buy another Alpha unit but then I will also need more digital motors so a bit expensive.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:17:34 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »
This afternoon I took advantage of the sun and went walking, only 3.6 mile but its a start.
Last night I bit the bullet and ordered a Weller soldering iron kit which comes with different sizes of tip, that should be more up to the job of soldering track feeds to the track. I am having problems with my main soldering station, the end keeps falling out which could be dangerous if it landed on my leg. It is a press fit, most have a screw holding the end in and tip in position. This has a sleeve which presses into the end of the iron with a screw on cap to old the tip in position, turning the screw cap and the whole thing turns in the end of the iron. Over the last few weeks it has become progressavely looser, like I said now a bit dangerous. I have tried some thread lock but that only last a couple of days, obviously the heat is too much for it. I might try drilling a hole and tapping it and putting a small screw in it to hold it in position. I bought it from Conrad a few years ago, it was not expensive and it has been very good with varible heat control and a sponge. I suppose you only get what you pay for, I will see what the Weller iron is like tomorrow.
Lil Chris

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: February 06, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »
the end keeps falling out which could be dangerous if it landed on my leg.

Could be even more dangerous if it landed somewhere else!  :goggleeyes: . Good luck with the new iron.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2020, 11:08:45 PM »
Well my new Weller soldering iron arrived late this afternoon, better late than never. Tomorrow night I can proceed with finishing the track feeds, this iron has two more tips, a pointed tip and a small spade one. Once the track feeds are complete it will then be time to start wiring up the layout. I will have a main bus which will be fed from the SB5 booster, which will then supply two Psx circuit breakers on the scenic boards and two on the fiddle yard boards. Most of the feeds if there is a few together will be connected to tag strips, via wago connectors, this will enable some sections to be disconnected for fault finding. The Cobalt point motors on the fiddle yard boards will have another bus of two wires from the Alpha unit, I have yet to decide about the point motors on the rh scenic board. I will post some more pics after I have made some progress.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2020, 07:19:27 PM »
Well tonight I am going to finish the tracklaying and feeds now I have my new soldering ron with a more suitable tip. I have retired the Basetech for now, I might try to repair it sometime.
This morning I made a trip over to Heywood mrc on one of there open days, very enjoyable. Thanks to the two guys on the N- Gauge dept, sorry I am terible remembering names, you know who you are, thanks for making me welcome. Back to work now I need to get some trains running and do some testing on this layout. It is nice to know I can go over to Heywood and run some loco's there If I do not manage it before next month's open day.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2020, 10:07:21 PM »
Tonight I have fitted some of the last track ie the head shunt for the goods yard, I have not laid the sidings yet has I have not decided exactly how many etc. I still have the threeway point from the old layout, unfortunately all the wires fell off it when I pulled it up, it was well stuck down. So that point will need a repairs to the wiring if I decide to use it. I have now added feeds to all the track on the scenic board using the new soldering iron, I think I managed to damge at least one sleeper in the process, but that is the way it is. I have been looking through the old bus wires for the old layout to see what I can use and I have decided where the controller and a board with two PSx's will go on the rh front scenic board, so that is the next stage.
I forgot I had to repair one of the track joins over the board joint it had come loose, it was so easy using the Antex 100w iron, that is now fixed. So buying that iron was not completely wasted it will be a good asset for doing any soldering on the heavy bus wires, I used twin and earth cable, you need heat for that stuff.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:12:37 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2020, 05:45:39 PM »
Well I have finally got to starting on the wiring. This afternoon i have fitted the first part of the main bus this involved drill holes in the leg supports to allow it to pass through. This also gave support to it has a bonus, it needs to continue onto the fiddle yard. I have made a board to fix the psx circuit breakers to, I am in the process of painting that. I intend to make a box for the SB5 which will be mounted under the board at the front. The cable from this then plugs into the end of the main bus. I have already fitted supports under the board to support the box. Next to it will be the board with the circuit breakers which will be hinged for easy access. The sub buses from the circuit breakers will then supply the feeds to the track via tag strips,I will post some pics when more things are in place.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »
Well more work on the railway, I have given the electronics board a coat of primer on the other side so that can be drying. Then back to working on the feed wires, First I have numbered them all and matched them to a plan of the wiring. Then I fitted two tag strips, I am trying to think ahead and not place them where other things will need to be like signals etc, so some of the feed wires will need extending. In which case I will extend with larger wire, some I have extended using wago connectors, I have found they do not work very well with the thinner wire I am using for the droppers so I have soldered some together. I am using seperate tag strips  for the up line and for the down line, they will be supplied with power from two buses and from two circuit breakers . Done enough for tonight my knees are hurting now so time to pack in but I am getting there. here are two pics, the first shows the start of the main bus the second the tag strips note the feeds wires which are now numbered.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:56:16 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »
That's coming on nicely, Chris.  For thin wires (in fact for all wires) I tend to use 'chocolate  block' barrier strip for connectors.  It looks like you have one down near the bottom left of the pictures.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »
Thanks Laurence, yes I used chock block connectors all over the layout on the old layout. That was the trouble they were all over the place with multiple bus wires going to them. It is suprprising how much room they take up under the boards, I was struggling when I decided to fit signals and lights etc, they were fitted to the baseboard the side supports in fact everywhere. I was going to use some of the old bus wires but today I went to B&Q and bought some more twin and earth cable. The old bus wires had cables coming off all over the place, so if I cut some of them off there would be open cable with no insulation, I found a good piece for the main bus and another to extend it for the fiddle yard board. I have just finished painting the electronics board with a coat of gloss, when dry I will fit hinges to it and then mount the components, then I can begin wiring the sub bus's with the new cable. I am not sure if I am going to solder the connections onto it yet, I might use chock blocks it will look neater.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
More work tonight, I have fitted 2 of the circuit breakers to a new board which will be fitted under the rh scenic board next to the command centre (SB5). It is hinged and will fold up and held with a catch, thus protecting the circuit boards. At the moment these two boards are wired with reset switches but no warning led's. I have drilled two holes ready fo incase I decide to upgrade them, I will probably run the layout with them hinged down so you can see the short warning lights on the boards. The other two PSX's I have are wired with led's, I intend to use those on the fiddle yard and extend the led wires and reset switches to some where I can get to them easy. I am now in the process of making the box for the SB5, that will be fitted just under the board also for easy access.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal