!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 2412 times)

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »
The river behind the viaduct will now continue under the monkey bridge, I have the scratch built model stored away in a box somewhere.Now where is that damm spirit level....???

Probably in the same box as the Monkey Bridge :D

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2019, 07:36:56 PM »
Here is my latest pic of my baseboards, you can see the spirit level on the top Mick @Newportnobby . The right scenic board still needs painting plus the supports but I am nearly there now so quite pleased with myself. Next job is to make a start on the left open frame, you can see the dowels already in place. I will also add some strengtheners once I have decided where the track is going.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:38:29 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
My spirit level tends to be my Adam's Apple. It tells me when I'm full - hic :D

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »
Hooray I have completed the basic frame of board four, which will be open plan. I need to finish the leg supports plus make the legs so a lot too do yet. Then of course these boards/ frames need painting. Now I can see the main outline of the layout, I need to work out how to fit the viaduct section to the right side of board four. The piece of wood on the end of the right board indicates the track height for the viaduct. The viaduct itself is 3" in height and is 2' long, my high level section will be 1"1/2", the viaduct sections also needs to lose a bit at both ends because the track comes down to rejoin the fiddleyard board. I can just manage to lose the height and keep the gradient to 2%. This layout will not have much straight track and the only track running pararell to the base board edge is the viaduct and that has a slight curve on it. The River Irwell that goes under the Viaduct will now continue on the other side going under the Monkey Bridge and continuing into the distance, possibly a road bridge if there is room. The only thing is on this layout the river is going the wrong way, in the real world Monkey bridge first then down stream to the road bridge and eventually under the Viaduct and through Radcliffe, but it's too late now, modelers licence applies, it is a fictional layout.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2019, 06:11:46 PM »
I did not manage to get much done yesterday, I did  manage to make the left leg, it needs two more legs adding to make a "L" shape fame the same as the other side. I have also fixed a piece of 9mm ply to the left corner, the space is where the viaduct section will fit in. I have cut that down to the minimum size, just over 2', the track will come over the viaduct then the track will lose height and into a tunnel. not sure if the track will curve before the tunnel or inside it, then eventually joining the fiddle yard.

Lil Chris

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2019, 07:12:17 PM »
It's starting to look like real progress, Chris.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »
Thanks Laurence, I have finished the legs for the left end and have now glued the supports in, so waiting for the glue to dry. I am not sure what to do about the centre legs, they are just loose at the moment,the left one has not got a support yet. I need to make them rigid for forwards and backwards movement, I have two castors left so I could just make a square support. It does need to be has big as the one supporting the fiddle yard at the back, and I need to paint them. The left board frame is still very flimsy at the moment, it needs supports and cross rails. With it having varying track heights and a river, I need to work that before I put the cross rails in position. I am getting there, it all seems to be working out, some track down before Christmas........I hope!!!
Lil Chris

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2019, 06:39:28 AM »
Yes, go for it Chris.  Set yourself the target of running at least one train by Christmas.
With kind regards
Laurence
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »
More work this afternoon figuring how the under and over will work. Two double track lines one crosses over the other, one rising and one going lower, its all fun. I have now placed a crossrail and another piece of ply on the frame with a down gradient cutaway. The lower track will have sweeping curves, go under a bridge down a gradient through a cutting, then over the Monkey bridge over the River Irwell then curving again before dissapearing into a tunnel. The scenic challenges on this layout are going to be fun, but watching the trains will be fun too.
Lil Chris

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »
Sounds like it will be great to see, and if you've completed your Crossrail you're miles ahead of the real thing :D

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
I have been busy today painting, I bought a tin of quick dry gloss this morning so a lot has been done. Once the painting has been done I can then contentrate on sorting the levels of track before laying.
Here is a pic of something I bought last week in a sale, I already have two cleaning wagons a Sharge and a Tomix. The Sharge is a little too wide and a bit high and tends to catch on platforms and some tunnels, I had to alter my passenger platform bridge because of it. But because of the configeration of this new layout with hidden track etc, I do need something I can run round on a regular basis. I will make the layout so all track can be reached somehow with removable scenery, hatches etc.
Lil Chris

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2019, 09:33:26 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   Good progress Chris, looking forward to seeing trains running
       regards Derek

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2019, 10:41:46 PM »
More progress today, all the catches are now on connecting the boards together, some by nescesity are underneath the boards. I have also been working on fitting the viaduct section, care has been taken with this it is important to get the height correct. And provision has been made to extend the river behind the viaduct. I have also worked out how to fit the last leg in place, this will need to be shorter than the others because of the lower viaduct board. The next thing to do is to extend the river and boards behind the viaduct, the Monkey bridge will also cross the river with possibly a weir between the two bridges, that is good because the river needs be dropping towards the viaduct. I also intend to have a cutaway in front of the viaduct section so you can view the area of the factory and viaduct. Possibly some pics tomorrow night of the viaduct in position, waiting for glue to dry on the leg support at the moment.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »
More progress, the viaduct section has been sorted, not glued in yet but I am nearly there. Plus I have cutaway the front frame for better viewing of the viaduct and factory, a even better view than when it was on the old layout.  Just need to finish the centre leg section then I can start on the river and positioning the Monkey bridge.
Lil Chris

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »
That seems to fit in very well, Chris.  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence