!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 30621 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »
Doesn't this paint take ages to dry now adays, some has been on 24 hours and is still tacky.

But if the paint was able to dry quickly you'd complain it was too hot up there to be comfortable :P

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2019, 09:42:34 PM »
@Newportnobby  True........

Next summer I will be ready, with the new layout I will have room for the Air Conditioning unit........if it still works.....
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2019, 09:54:59 PM »
I am a person who has a plan in my head and work on it as I work on it

A man after my own heart!   :thumbsup:  I can not form a plan and stick to it, I find as I go along I am making changes.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2019, 10:34:09 PM »
Thanks @dannyboy, Yes I am no good with plans I just plod along ,making it up has I go along.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2019, 05:40:49 PM »
 :hellosign:
  Excellent progress Chris coming along a treat. Personally love making plans on "Scarm", forever changing them but all part of the fun.
          regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2019, 07:37:46 PM »
Thanks Derek @cornish yorkie , I think I have already said I could not get my head around Scarm but found Anyrail more to my liking. I messaged them to find if I had bought the full version and now I have the full version thanks to the developer sending me the key. I might have a go sometime and see what I can come up with.
Today I have assembled the now painted boards, I have had to do some more tweaking to get them level. Take a look at this pic and look at the far left support plus the beam going across the room. It will be worth it though to get it right at this stage and avoid problems later like a unwanted gradient. I intend to give the top of the board a coat of primer/undercoat before I lay any track, thats the bit I am looking forward too.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 06:55:47 AM »
You're getting there, Chris.  Once the track starts to go down, it'll begin to fee like a real model railway.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Elvenhome

• N Gauge Society Number: 25842
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
OK I now have you bookmarked so I can follow the development of the layout

Stephen

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2019, 11:36:33 PM »
Thanks Fred,  @Elvenhome  only joking I mean Stephen. I am hoping to make a start on the track soon. If you have time take a look at my old layout in this forum https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.2385
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2019, 05:51:31 PM »
More work today, I have finished my first front scenic board for the right side. This board is part open plan, I have used my last piece of ply for the right side. I planned out my track plan on the floor last night and everything is looking has if it will work out ok. The front section is 4'6" x 2'10", it connects to the fiddle yard with two cabinet makers dowels, held together eventually with suitcase catches, a G clamp for now. The next job is to make some legs for the front section, a piece of wood propping it up at the moment, they will also have castors fitted for easy movement.
Lil Chris

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2019, 08:33:13 PM »
 :hellosign:
     Tidy work Chris, looking good  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2019, 09:22:45 PM »
More work today after going to B&Q for another piece of 9mm ply plus a couple of pieces of wood. I have added two supports on the front of the fiddle yard board so you can rest the front scenic board on it while you line up the dowels. I have fitted dowels to the end of that board and fitted dowels ready on the left fiddle yard board ready for when I have made the left scenic board which is more open plan. All four of the boards are fitted with dowels joining them to the next board and all will be fitted with suitcase catches although some will be under the boards.
The old viaduct section from East Lanc lines will be fitted in the front of the left scenic board, I still need to figure out how to do that. Tonight I have fitted leg supports under the right scenic board, I then need to make legs with castors for the front section, this is proving to be difficult with the leveling situation. One solution I have thought of is to use the leveling brkts I have from the old layout but mount them on the side of the legs at the top, and then use them to adjust the height of the boards. The main problem is not just leveling left to right but also front to back at the same time, my spirit level is working flat out at the moment. I am waiting for the glue to dry now so no more work today, time for a well earned rest. By the way swmbo is impressed by the layout, and that is saying something.She prefers it to the old layout which she says was too big. This layout is bigger in some ways but a more compact unit and does not take up has much floor space, and more running track. I am looking forward to getting some track down and some running so watch this space.
Lil Chris

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2019, 09:33:40 PM »
She prefers it to the old layout which she says was too big. This layout is bigger in some ways but a more compact unit

Of all the planning you have done for this layout Chris, that bit is probably the most clever.  How to get a bigger layout and make Val think it is smaller - brilliant  ;) :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2019, 09:50:49 PM »
Thanks David @dannyboy ...spot on it's easy when you know how. But this layout will definately have more running, and the beauty of it is for one lap/circuit the train goes past twice before returning from whence it came. I will have to try and knock up some sort of track plan. I am quite pleased with it though it has caused me some sleepless nights working it out.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2019, 10:06:00 PM »
More work today on the baseboards, I was going to make a start on the left scenic board but I relaised it was a bit pointless while the other board is being held up by a offcut of wood. So legs it is, I have decided to use the same idea as on the fiddle yard board on the right end, a "L" shape support which is self standing. I will do the same for the left side, not sure what to do in the centre yet. I have made the fiddle yard supports substantial so they can support the front scenic sections too. Its all coming together, the left scenic board will be the hardest to make, it has the viaduct section and a small gradient on one of the tracks to build in. The river behind the viaduct will now continue under the monkey bridge, I have the scratch built model stored away in a box somewhere. I will also need another bridge where one of my tracks goes over the other, I am planning on scratch building a bridge off the East lancashire Railway down at Burrs country park. I will  go down there and take some pics, I have some pics in a few books but a few close ups of the real thing will help. Now where is that damm spirit level....???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:07:37 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal