!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 17528 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #300 on: March 09, 2020, 09:59:00 PM »
Well tonight was a bit of a frustrating night, I have made a board panel for the electronics much the same has on the front board. Only problem when I came to mount the circuit boards on the panel I could not find the spacers. Then I realised the down bus I wired the other night I had used the wrong cable for the bus, so I need to correct that. Then I found the spacers so I have fitted the circuit boards only to find two of the wires for the one of the led's are loose and need re soldering. It is probably just has well because all the wires need to be longer to reach the edge of the board, then they need extending to the front of the layout, reset wires and led wires.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2020, 07:49:11 AM »
These little things are sent to try us!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: March 10, 2020, 10:13:12 PM »
Back on track today, I did not manage to do any work till tonight we had two new windows fitted on the house today. So tonight I got back on track, I fitted the down bus with the correct cable and I also made the link cable from the main bus to the circuit breakers. I have also fitted the board in position although I will have to remove the circuit breakers so I can solder the wires needed for reset and the led warning lights. Putting it in position makes it easy to see where all the connections will go and avoids any mistakes. I found some black and red cable which looks just right for the Cobalt motor bus. I was using black cables for the frog wires which was a mistake, so to avoid confusion I have give them a dab of green paint. I should have used green in the first place but I was planning on using up lots of red and green cable for the motor feeds from the old peco motors. When I get round to sorting the goods yard, any points I fit will have green frog wires from now on, you know it makes sense. I will post more pics when I have completed this board.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2020, 09:36:55 PM »
Tonight I removed the electronics board and I have soldered new extended wires for the reset and led indicator lights. I was not happy with the writing I had done on the board with a felt tip, so I stripped it down and gave it a re paint. I have also found some better hinges to use and I have some letter's to use for marking up the board so it should look a lot neater.
The Cobalt Sniffer I am using has it's own power supply but the latest information is to fit a little device between the pwr supply and the sniffer. I was going to fit that on the electronics board but that would mean I could no longer just plug the power supply in, I would have to use the screw terminals. I have decided to fit this inline at the pwr plug end near to the socket, that way the wire will not get in the way and I can just unplug it. I will leave the board for the paint to dry now and then I can complete that tomorrow.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #304 on: March 14, 2020, 10:17:44 PM »
Tonight I have made some more progress. I have nearly finished wiring the two bus's plus I have added the bus for the Cobalt motors. With the motor bus I have soldered the bus wires to tag strips, I have then soldered wires from the motors to the tag strips. I nearly finished but my knees and back have packed in, I only need to connect two motors and I will have finished this board. I still have three motors that need the frog switches connecting to the respective bus tag strips. I have used red and black cable for the motors, the bus is connected to the sniffer unit ready for powering up.I have used a plug in connector block for the bus to connect to the left Fiddle yard board which I will be starting on soon. I intend to have both fiddle yard boards next to each other connected together on their sides then I can program all the motors and make sure they all work. It saves having to climb under the boards looking for the little switches to set the motors. The first pic shows the circuit boards and the sniffer unit on the hinged panel with the extension wires for reset etc. Unfortunately I made the extension wires a touch short. I still need to connect the up bus to the board.

The second pic you can see the red and black Motor bus cables down the centre, just two wires needed for controlling the motors.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:19:11 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »
You've certainly been busy, Chris.  That looks like a really tidy job.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:15:18 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: March 15, 2020, 07:50:58 AM »
That looks really tidy and organised Chris.
Itís well beyond my capabilities but itís certainly impressive.
Keep up the good work.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: March 15, 2020, 09:52:40 AM »
Thanks Martin and Laurence,I like to keep wiring tidy. I think it is neater with tag strips too than chocblocks although of course soldering is required. Regarding choc blocks does anybody find them a bit frustrating, you push the wire in and tighten the screw and the wire then falls out and its all curled up at the end,usually in a awkward place too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:56:14 AM by lil chris, Reason: Spelling »
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: March 15, 2020, 10:09:14 AM »
I wouldn't advise bringing your sniffer unit near me as pics of wiring just scare the  :poop: out of me :worried:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2020, 01:30:46 PM »
Regarding choc blocks does anybody find them a bit frustrating, you push the wire in and tighten the screw and the wire then falls out and its all curled up at the end,usually in a awkward place too.
Hi Chris

I always double the exposed end of the wire back on itself before inserting it into the choc bloc.  That seems to ensure that it bites first time and stays connected.  It's some thing I have been doing successfully for more that fifty years.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2020, 08:41:28 PM »
Yes thats what I do most of the time Laurence except when I am trying to get a few wires in the same connector. The Cobalt motors are a bit fidly to push the wires in but at least they do not need soldering.
 Tonight I have finished the board completely, I made sure to put my meter on to check for polarity before connecting the Circuit boards. One thing I have done tonight is to number the motors, to make life easy I have numbered them the same has the feed the frog is  powered from, which is the feed at the toe end of every point. The next job is wiring the second fiddle yard board, this should be a lot easier has there are no electronics on this board. It is just a matter of extending the bus wires from the first board and the same with the motors.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: March 16, 2020, 10:18:21 PM »
More progress, I have started on the second fiddle yard board. First job was mark up the point motors using the jig and then after turning the board on its side fit the motors. So I have fitted eight motors relativly easy, one was next to a support beam so need some wood triming off the support. The two extra motors I decided to use on the fiddle yard board for head sidings,were too near to a support beam. And with the feed wires on the toe end of the point making it difficult to fit the other way round. So I cut slots for the wires and fitted the motor over them, problem solved unless I have problems with those two dropper feeds. The next job tomorrow is to position the tag strips for the dropper feeds, I also need to number the dropper feeds and make a wiring drawing for future refference.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:26:31 PM by lil chris, Reason: added pic »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: March 17, 2020, 10:14:02 PM »
More soldering tonight, one tag strip fitted and droppers connected for the down line. I have also numbered the droppers then I prepared some tag strips ready for the up bus and the sniffer bus. This involves soldering a piece of wire across the terminals to make them the same polarity, once soldered I check them with the meter for continuity. Getting there now, seeing has all us old folk will be confined for a few weeks perhaps months becuase of the virus, I hope to finish the soldering soon or I will go mad.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2020, 06:49:14 AM »
Getting there now, seeing has all us old folk will be confined for a few weeks perhaps months becuase of the virus, I hope to finish the soldering soon or I will go mad.
My storey is that, for official business, I'm sixty-nine.  :D
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:15 PM »
More progress tonight, the down bus has been installed, the sniffer feed cable just needs soldering to the tag strip. I have soldered most of the droppers including feeds to the motor switch for the frogs. I think I may have connected some of the wires the wrong way round after taking another look at the Cobalt wiring diagram. It asumes you have the motor at the toe end of the point, because I have a feed there I have the motors the opposite way round which changes the polarity and the way the switches need wiring. Only problem tonight was I noticed a switch rail  has come loose from the tie bar on one of the main points on the fiddle yard. When I have finished the wiring and I turn the board upright I will see if I can fix it, possibly a spot of superglue or the point will have to come up, it was a brand new one too. I think it was damaged by a box behind where I am working on the layout, the side has split because it is overflowing, mainly with old computer parts and I think it snagged on the point. These things are sent to try us but I am getting there, I hope to have finished this board by weekend.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal