!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 17206 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
Yes see you tomorrow Mick,watch out for that speed van if its there this year. I will be coming from the motorway again so i should miss it.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #286 on: February 29, 2020, 09:01:36 PM »
A nice trip to Preston model railway show this afternoon, met Mick (Newport Nobby) and Ron (Lankyman), nice to see you today.
Tonight I have made a start on preparing to fit some Cobalt motors to my fiddle yard. I really should have done this has I was laying the track it would have been easier. Of the 17 motors I had drilled the hole for the operating rod in the correct position apart from one which I carefully expanded the hole without damaging the point. I was fortunate to have two templates for the motors,you used to get them in a pack of six motors, not any more. Fortunately the IP Cobalt motors are the same dimensions has the old anolog motors. One of my templates was modified I soon remembered why, so when you place it over the point on N-Gauge the hole is offset not in the centre like on our 00 Gauge cousins. Having the templet  offset, with it cutaway so you can see that the blades are central, then drill the four holes for the motor mounting through the baseboard.. I will split the fiddle yard boards tomorrow and make a start on fitting the motors with the boards on their sides, easier than crawling underneath.I can also make a start on the bus wiring etc.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #287 on: March 01, 2020, 07:44:21 PM »
Well this afternoon I did some drawings so I can make note of the wiring on the fiddle boards, I have started numbering the drop wires. I have found a bad error, I have forgot to attatch two dropper wires after the point, the trouble is it is where the overpass is for the highlevel so I now need to remidy the situation. If that is the only mistake I have made I will be happy, watch this space.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #288 on: March 01, 2020, 10:06:55 PM »
Well I sorted out my error, wellI think I did, it was a awkward place to solder wires. If the feeds are no good I will just add some on the bend after the overpass. I found another point with no feeds but that was easy to fix. The crossover points could have been fitted a bit straighter but has long has they work and I have no problems I will leave them for now. I have now fitted two Cobalt motors, I had put the screw holes on the wrong side of one of them, but they were still easy to fit. I have done one tag strip for the down lines and soldered the feeds, my back is aching now so time to stop for tonight.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #289 on: March 02, 2020, 08:35:19 PM »
Well I finished the left side (easy side) of the fiddle board I am working on. I started to fit some point motors on the rh side, I found one where the operating hole was not quite correct, I tried to modify it from below and I have damaged the point, the switch rail has come adrift.So correction here... It is a new  points, but not a unifrog, and I have a spare point, so I can try to repair that point later on the workbench, I could then use it in the goods yard sidings. Knees are hurting again now so that is enough for tonight.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:03:42 PM by lil chris, Reason: correction »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2020, 09:08:46 PM »
Tonight I have fitted a new point, well yes I decided to buy a new one to replace the new one I damaged, ie like for like. I have now fitted all the Cobalt motors on the rh Fiddleyard board. I had to rework a couple of the holes that did not line up correctly without damaging another point. The next job is finishing wiring the droppers to tag strips, there are a lot of droppers on the right side of the board. The good news is they are all very much grouped together, I then need to sort the two wire motor bus. I have not made my mind up, do I use choc blocks or solder them to the bus. There will be the split type choc blocks at the end of the board anyway to extend the bus to board two..
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2020, 09:35:32 PM »
More progress tonight, I have made up tag strips for the right side of the board including some for the motor bus and fitted them onto the baseboard. The next job is to finish wiring the droppers to the tag strips. Something I have forgot  when setting up the tag strips for the droppers is wires from the bus too the motors. Because I am using a seperate bus for motor control I need to use one of the accessory switches on the Cobalt IP Motor for frog control. So I need wires from the tag strips to the motor's, I have decided to solder the motor wires to the same tag as the feed to the same point. All the points on the fiddle yard have a feed at the toe end which also means using the Cobalt motor the otherway round, I have printed a diagram with the motor wiring to avoid confusion.
a pic showing progress
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:41:04 PM by lil chris, Reason: added a pic »
Lil Chris

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2020, 06:36:59 AM »
That's starting to look very tidy, Chris.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2020, 07:03:33 PM »
Thanks @Innovationgame  Laurence, that is the way I like it, it will get a bit more complicated yet though.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2020, 10:20:29 PM »
Tonight I have managed to finish soldering the droppers on the right board, I managed to finish it before my left knee packed in with cramp. I also wired a feed to the motor switches at the same time, there are 3 motors on the left side I need to add the feeds to those too. Then I can start wiring the bus's themselves, a up bus, a down bus and a motor control bus from the sniffer unit. I still yet to decide where I am going to fit the two circuit breakers and the sniffer unit. I might make a hinged board similar to the front and fit them to that. I will also need to extend the reset wires for the circuit boards, I intend to mount them at the front on the front valance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:43:06 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2020, 11:41:57 PM »
Just thought i would post the latest pic of my fiddle yard wiring.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #296 on: March 07, 2020, 09:13:57 PM »
Well tonight I have wired in the down bus, soldering to the tag strips. I have done half of the up bus before my old knees packed in. I think when I make a start on the left board I will prop it up a bit higher to make life easier. Two of the Cobalt IP motors have been used before, I have bought a couple of the value packs which include new operating rods and sticky pads, it is a pity you only get three operating rods in the kit, hence why I bought the second one. Having the longer rods makes it easy to fit the motors, you can poke the rod through the tie bar hole before the sticky pad takes a hold on the baseboard and then line it up with the pre drilled holes from the template, easy. Once the two bus's are installed I need to connect them to the PSX circuit breakers, the next job then is the wiring the sniffer bus, easy just two wires for all the motors. Then it is do more or less the same for the left fiddle yard board.
"Two of the Cobalt IP motors have been used before, I have bought a couple of the value packs which include new operating rods and sticky pads, it is a pity you only get three operating rods in the kit,"
Just realised this might not make sense, well the plan is to also use some anolouge motors on the right scenic board so need some rods for those, I might still need to make some out of piano wire.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:58:30 PM by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2020, 09:16:13 PM »
Keep at it Chris!  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2020, 06:37:52 AM »
I don't bother to pre-drill the holes.  My baseboard is 9mm ply and I find that, once the sticky pad is engaged the screws will self-tap into the ply, with a bit of elbow grease of course.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2020, 09:23:08 AM »
H Laurence, by using the templet and pre drilling the holes it means you have the motor in the correct position. I have pre painted my boards so like you say the sticky pads hold the motor in position ok. Although this time i have been using a couple screws has well for safe measure.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal