!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 1906 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Irwell Valley Railway
« on: November 05, 2019, 04:35:10 PM »
Hello everyone this is the new post I promised for the start of my new layout. I have not started to make the baseboards yet but today I went to B&Q and my local model shop "The Loco Shed". I have bought some Wago connectors from B&Q, they did not have them on the shelf I had to ask. I also bought some Gaugemaster connectors too from the model shop, hopefully these buys will help considerably with the wiring of the new layout, a little less soldering. I have made a few decisions regarding the new layout after talking to one of the guys ( Roger) in the shop I decided to use my Cobalt motors with a Cobalt Alpha to control the points. Again no more struggling soldering wires to interface the switches for the Peco Pl10 motors, I had noticed a couple of the wires looked loose on the 25 D connector. I have ordered a Cobalt Alpha kit and also ordered a box of code 55 track, supporting my local model shop. Sometimes going into your local shop is worth paying a bit extra for the free advice. The shop will also take my code 80 track off me and the peco motors, I don't imagine I will get a lot for it but everything helps.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »
Good luck with the build Chris.
Iíll be following with interest.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 04:43:06 PM »
Thanks Martin I have been watching your new build too, I enjoy this part of building the layout its exciting and fun.
Another thing is I reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday on my railway computer ie this computer. I installed it a couple of weeks has a free  upgrade but it kept playing up on startup so I decided to do a clean install from a USB stick. I was forced to use the diskpart command to get it to install but it is running smooth now and considerably faster. And I have a lovely pic on my desktop of the class 108 DMU going over the Viaduct on my East Lancs railway layout.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:51:00 PM by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
Have fun.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
I forgot to add on my post i also bought one of these from B&Q only £12, been using it already un-doing the screws on the old fiddle yard.
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 09:29:07 PM »
I look forward to seeing a track plan and further developments as they happen, Chris.
Good luck

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »
Hi lil Chris,

Looking forward to your new build. As you said exciting and fun.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 10:07:54 PM »
Tally ho old chap. Good luck and Godspeed.  :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 10:50:27 PM »
Hi everyone thanks for the good wishes. I am not sure about posting a track plan, I am not very good at them. I tried Scarm last time but soon give up with frustration. I also tried Anyrail, I had a shortcut on the pc before I upgraded to W10. Trouble was I forgot to check if it was the full version, I thought I might have bought the full version, I can not find any log in details so maybe not. I have the latest free version and I might give it a try.
The way I work, building some baseboard space to try and I will know if the plan in my head will fit and work, watch this space. The fiddle yard board will be 9' x 18" split in the middle to form two boards connected with dowels. The main scenic boards will fit in front again split and joined together with dowels but also joined to the fiddle yard boards with dowels. The idea is the layout can be split up to work on the individual boards. the problem will be disguising the split between the two scenic boards at the front.  I managed to disguise the splits on the old boards where they join with road bridges on two and a tunnel on the other, I am sure I will think of something. Where they join the fiddle yard will not be a problem. This layout will be one of those rabbit warren type layouts in and out of the tunnels lol.
Lil Chris

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 11:16:11 PM »
Looking forward to this!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
Chris, why not draw your track plan on paper, with a compass and a ruler ?

Use graph paper to make it easier to draw vertical and horizontal lines.

Best regards,

Joe
P.S. I confess I worked for a paper company for more than 30 years

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 02:20:31 PM »
I'm a fan of AnyRail!

As you're not sure if you bought a full licence, it may be worth an email to check if you do have an 'account' with them. https://www.anyrail.com/en/contact

Failing that, using the freebie version may give you a start in getting your ideas sorted.

Whichever way you go, I'm looking forward to seeing what you get up to!

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 06:43:53 PM »
Chris, why not draw your track plan on paper, with a compass and a ruler ?

If you could do that and post a pic of the drawing on the forum I'll be happy to attempt to knock it up in SCARM. Just let me have the dimensions, too. @lil chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 07:54:41 PM »
Thanks guys for the offer of help, I will have a think on what to do next. At the moment I have tided up and cleared the floor of the loft room and I am just starting making one fiddle yard board to see how it goes. No rush, I fancied one of those electric saws I saw a guy using on the Great model railway challenge but at £80 I can not justify buying one of those, so I will just have to get my arm going with a normal saw.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 09:32:25 PM »
Well I have started on the build, the wood is not straight, the board frame seemed a bit warped. Hopefully fitting the 9mm ply on the top which I have glued and pinned and then weighed down, it might straighten out overnight. I need to cut and fit the extra 6" of ply on the end yet, I do not want to make any noise ( kids in bed next door) so I will leave it to tomorrow.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything