!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Osborn's laser cut coach kits  (Read 519 times)

Offline thebrighton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
Osborn's laser cut coach kits
« on: November 01, 2019, 05:20:22 PM »
Howdy,
Maurice was looking for a victim volunteer and asked me if I'd like to do a test build of one of his forthcoming laser cut coach kits and I was happy to help out as these wood kits are something I've not tackled before so with instructions waiting to be drawn up I received a lovely pile of components which I will hopefully assemble over the next few weeks (I've actually got to work a bit in the next couple of weeks which will slow things down). All bits are beautifully etched in a selection of mediums. The bogies are laser cut wood but I understand there are 3D printed ones in the wings.
Nothing has been started yet but upon opening the box you are greeted with that fantastic smell of lightly burned wood so I will sit here sniffing it for a while :)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Osborn's laser cut coach kits
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 06:11:43 PM »
Howdy,
Maurice was looking for a victim volunteer and asked me if I'd like to do a test build of one of his forthcoming laser cut coach kits and I was happy to help out as these wood kits are something I've not tackled before so with instructions waiting to be drawn up I received a lovely pile of components which I will hopefully assemble over the next few weeks (I've actually got to work a bit in the next couple of weeks which will slow things down). All bits are beautifully etched in a selection of mediums. The bogies are laser cut wood but I understand there are 3D printed ones in the wings.
Nothing has been started yet but upon opening the box you are greeted with that fantastic smell of lightly burned wood so I will sit here sniffing it for a while :)

Use sander sealer to prep the wood to stop the grain of the wood sticking up.  Will need 2-3 coats with a fine sand between.   Then use an acrylic undercoat so it wont react with the cellulose of the dope in the sander sealer.

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:32:51 PM »
Cheers for the suggestions, Maurice has provided gluing and painting instructions which just say to use thinned enamel or acrylic. I was going to give it a coat of Johnson's Klear to seal it, It will really be a case of trial and error. I'm hoping to use paints, glue etc I already have around the house rather than go out and buy things I'll never use again.
After the first coat I'll give it a dusting of primer to see what it's like as, after all, the model is a teak GER coach so we'll see what the graining is like. The paneling will make any sanding and interesting proposition!

Offline Derwentbob

• N Gauge Society Number: 16610
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 07:46:06 PM »
Ooh! That looks interesting! I have built some 28mm (American) western rolling stock for cowboy skirmish games and they looked great but I never thought it would be done in N gauge. I'll be up for some of these when they hit the market.
My n-gauge modelling blog - http://ninemilrails.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Paul B

• N Gauge Society Number: 19167
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 08:41:57 PM »
Cheers for the suggestions, Maurice has provided gluing and painting instructions which just say to use thinned enamel or acrylic. I was going to give it a coat of Johnson's Klear to seal it, It will really be a case of trial and error. I'm hoping to use paints, glue etc I already have around the house rather than go out and buy things I'll never use again.
After the first coat I'll give it a dusting of primer to see what it's like as, after all, the model is a teak GER coach so we'll see what the graining is like. The paneling will make any sanding and interesting proposition!

Mmmm - GER coach kit!  :o I will watch this with interest!  :goggleeyes:
LNER (and PKP) fan in the home of the GWR!

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »
Mmmm - GER coach kit!  :o I will watch this with interest!  :goggleeyes:
It will hopefully be one of a pair available. Be nice to add them to the Worsely Works and Bill Bedford ones I have already.

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 12:58:16 PM »
I managed to have a play at my local 2mm SA meeting yesterday so some progress has been made. I sussed that the base is made with 2 layers of perspex with holes aligned and the wooded partitions/roof formers slotted in. The upper layer of perspex is slightly too long affecting the ends which I will address later but that's what a test build is for. The perspex sides fit snugly in between the solebar and roof former which are then glued in with PVA and plastic weld forming a rigid box which will be aided further when the ends are added.

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
The perspex ends have now been added. I needed to shorten the upper section of perspex base as it was too long and stopped the ends fitting snugly. The ends also have a tab which is too long so this was also reduced and once a good fit were glued on although the interlocking join is in the middle of the end window. Like I mentioned earlier these are the bits I'm looking out for to feedback to Maurice so the final kits are ok.
The interior corridor divide is laser cut paper and just slides into place through the wooden formers.

Offline thebrighton

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 04:04:01 PM »
A quick update is due which is "watch this space". I did progress a bit further but fettling one part had a knock on effect on another and the complex curves of the roof didn't work with card or the partially curved wooden option.
After a chat or two with Maurice he has put in a lot of work to make all the adjustments necessary to the kit, adjusting sides, ends, duckets and a new roof proposal. Fingers crossed a Mk2 build will appear shortly.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything