!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hi Fi  (Read 1432 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Hi Fi
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2020, 11:41:40 PM »
Everything Technics, receiver SA-RX100, transcription deck SL-DL1, and Speakers and remote handheld, also have a Cassette and CD payers but not currently in use. I have one PC connected to the "CD" input that plays music all day, another PC connected to the VCR input which gets used for things like youtube.

What - no record player ?
The transcription deck SL-DL1 is a step up from a record player, instead of the usual pick up arm, the stylus and cartridge are mounted in the lid and linear tracking is controlled by a microprocessor.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/sl-dl1.shtml

Direct drive turntables, that's a blast from the past.
I bought my first decent setup in 1981 (Dual CS505, Nad 3020, Mission 700's), and I remember that the HiFi press of the day was hugely exercised over the use of electronics in audio stuff. The general consensus being that anything with flashing lights, or, God forbid, a Graphic Equalizer, was nothing better than a toy.

I seem to remember that the argument for Direct Drive turntables was that as the machine which cut the master disc was direct drive then you'd get better sound quality with a DD turntable and a round stylus, rather than on a turntable with a conventional tone arm and an elliptical stylus. I'm also pretty sure that the big British players never produced one.

About that time I was asked by a girl that I knew at Uni, if I could help her pick out a system at some shop in Liverpool (NOT Brady's in Smithdown Rd).
She took one look at something or other with a built in Graphic Equalizer and lots of flashing lights and said 'I'm going to get that one'.
I left the store and never spoke to her again.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2020, 09:46:25 AM »
In the early 80s I was the proud owner of a Sony Sound Burger record player.

This was a bit like a toaster - the discs were inserted into a slot and played vertically.

It was connected to a ghetto blaster via a jack plug.

Definitely not hi-fi but fun and practical.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2020, 12:02:51 PM »
My first hi-fi set up was mid 70s, I worked for Plessey who had bought up Garrard, so got a Zero100 deck "cosmetic defect" reduced to £25 in the company "shop", played through a Goodmans module 90 with KEF kit3 speakers in 3' high enclosures; made the windows rattle a bit!
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »
I bought my first decent setup in 1981 (Dual CS505, Nad 3020, Mission 700's).... The general consensus being that anything with flashing lights, or, God forbid, a Graphic Equalizer, was nothing better than a toy.

Yep I can match two out of three, having had a CS505 and my 3020 around about that time, running through Wharfdale Laser 140s.  It replaced my student years Schneider Team 30 system which I can only describe as cheap and cheerful - I'll always remember it proudly displaying "Direct Loading Mechanism" for the tape deck, which basically meant no door you just stuffed the tape vertically in the recess and there was a separate plastic cover over the head when not in use!

I confess I had a Teac EQA-20 Graphic Equaliser, lots of lovely flashing lights  :D  Eventually a couple of the LEDs on the display matrix failed and it was discarded (I think, but it might still be in a box in the garage!)

I'm still using the NAD 3020 amp now for a secondary system in our home office / music room  :)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
Did anyone have the Amstrad record player, with "3 legged" platter ?

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
My current hifi still dates from the 1990s.

Rega Planar 2, which has had a new speed regulator board installed, and the shop keepers who fixed it for me were drooling over the glass platter.
Audiolab 8000A amplifier.
Arcam Alpha plus CD player.
Epos ES14 speakers with matching stands (bi-wired of course).  :admiration:  These are probably the best part of the entire setup, but it's a nicely balanced system.

I've heard current Naim offerings and it just doesn't sound £2000 better than what I have.

I'm happy that vinyl is back in vogue, somewhat.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:35:12 PM by Bob G »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal