!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 7271 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
Thanks @exmouthcraig for a simple but good idea. I have just sent off for some flat sheets of 2mm cork which will make tighter curves less of a pain. I've got Peco 3rd and 4th radius set track curves to use as templates which will then make good guides for subsequent flexi-track laying. I'll use the cork strip for straighter sections of track.

Why make life hard for oneself? :thumbsup:

Thanks also @cornish yorkie I will try to keep the updates coming at a regular rate!

Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2020, 08:43:20 AM »

As I am tied up with regular and over-time night shifts at the moment, I haven't had a chance to work on the layout this last week. However, I managed to secure this little red beastie for 5.00 from Ebay yesterday. Should make for a good logging 'crummie' (as lumber RR caboose (cabeese?) were known) for my Shay. :thumbsup:

At such point as I can dispense with the heavy sunblock ( >:D) and return to the land of the day-walker ( :D) I will get back to making progress.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2020, 10:40:40 PM »
Well, here I am am doing MORE nights. I haven't got near the MQR since before Christmas. That will change over the coming days/weeks and progress reports will recommence.

However, for the fun of it, due to doing some much-needed garden work which has, so far, involved felling 2 trees (I must be feeling better!) and pondering that SM32 Edrig live steamer that sits on top of the book shelf overlooking the MQR baseboards, I have begun planning a small garden railway. I haven't used Edrig since I bought him over 10 years ago and feel it is such a waste. I await a servo so I can rig up a remote control for his regulator and experiment madly on sunny days.

He is a bit overscale for an N Gauge Forum so, if anything comes of this I will start a thread in the General section.

Anyway, hoping all are well.  :thumbsup:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2020, 10:56:26 PM »
Hi Chris,

Excellent news. I would love to do a garden railway but considering I am a Landscape Gardener for a living but don't really do any gardening at home as I can't be whatevered I don't think the powers that be would allow it.

I could persuade her that if it was built I would keep the garden in tip top condition but I'm just kidding myself so looking forward to your future developments. I'll live the dream through you.

Looking forward to your N gauge progress too.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2020, 11:12:50 PM »
... considering I am a Landscape Gardener for a living ...

But it's you guys who build the best garden railways - the walls, rockeries, ponds with waterfalls etc. My current plan is to use seasoned timber planking on suitable uprights so everything can be disassembled/changed with ease. No major ground works. I am NOT a professional landscape gardener!  More of an enthusiastic amateur.  :thumbsup:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2020, 11:33:27 PM »
Hi Chris,

I didn't say I was a good Landscape Gardener  :D.

Am only 30 miles south of Reading so if you ever need a hand in the Spring/Summer so I can come and have a nose I'd be up for it.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: February 03, 2020, 12:45:12 AM »
Just to say "Hi all". I am doing every overtime night shift the Lord sends so have had no time for actual building of anything. The MQR needs work rather than pennies at this stage of its development and time I, sadly, do not have. I will get back to it ASAP however. I am contemplating a pair of fishing waders from Ebay so I can triumph over the muddy ground leading to the real Maen Quarry when I visit Cornwall at the end of February and get some pics.

On a different note, I have been putting the fruits of my extra shifts to good use by amassing track/etc. for that 'other project'. It has triggered a plan for a makeover of my garden which I will be able to start come the sunnier/drier months from April onwards so, while I await brighter times when outdoor work is doable, I will continue to stock-pile the bits I need. Leaping from planning in 2mm Standard gauge to 16mm Narrow gauge and back is quite a mental challenge I must say! :goggleeyes:

Wonderful updates from everyone on their own projects and hoping all are well.  :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: February 03, 2020, 08:08:29 AM »
Thanks for the update, Chris. I fully understand; I also have very limited free time but do have a budget to buy items for my layout.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
Good to hear from you Chris, and know the issue of work getting in the way of modelling all too well .... I seem to get my mojo back once I am back at work and there is a couple of hundred miles between me & the layout!  But my stint offshore is at an end tomorrow and I will get 5 weeks off to split between railway and garden ... as well as a vist to Model Rail, Glasgow where I am uber excited at the prospect of seing the Bridge at Remagen in person     :drool:

We seem to share a secret too, I have been quietly amassing G gauge track & points too .....  I am hoping to replace one of the several ageing outbuildings at home, and thinking that I will be able to hide a "wee" layout behind it ... if I tell Mrs Milton that there is a big hoard of spiders back there, she won't venture  ... so far I have only got a L'il Critter shunter in (you guessed it) BP livery + a caboose & tanker go with it.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: February 03, 2020, 07:58:57 PM »
Just to say "Hi all". I am doing every overtime night shift the Lord sends so have had no time for actual building of anything. The MQR needs work rather than pennies at this stage of its development and time I, sadly, do not have. I will get back to it ASAP however. I am contemplating a pair of fishing waders from Ebay so I can triumph over the muddy ground leading to the real Maen Quarry when I visit Cornwall at the end of February and get some pics.

On a different note, I have been putting the fruits of my extra shifts to good use by amassing track/etc. for that 'other project'. It has triggered a plan for a makeover of my garden which I will be able to start come the sunnier/drier months from April onwards so, while I await brighter times when outdoor work is doable, I will continue to stock-pile the bits I need. Leaping from planning in 2mm Standard gauge to 16mm Narrow gauge and back is quite a mental challenge I must say! :goggleeyes:

Wonderful updates from everyone on their own projects and hoping all are well.  :thumbsup:
   :hellosign:
    Know the feeling well Chris far too much time for work, but & a big BUT no work no money for trains.
    Best of luck for your visit to Cornwall, the rain must stop sooner or later & looking forward to updates when you can.
       regards Derek.   

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2020, 12:50:33 AM »
Cheers chaps. Plans are coming along nicely. I wish to build 3 foot high raised garden beds out of treated wood on top of which the railway will be built. This will allow indulgence in miniature conifers and other small plants which appeals to me and will 'get me out of the house' without troubling my local community. The plan is pretty simple - a continuous run feeding, via a triangle, a small terminus station. Sound familiar? Not unlike the basic concept for the MQR. I'll use Peco SM32 set track points and 38" radius curves and flexitrack for the rest. I HIGHLY recommend Track Shack for amazing prices and speedy service for those interested.

The railway will draw inspiration from the Corris Railway and Glyn Valley Tramway (I ordered a kit for an electric GVT tram yesterday from PDF Models) but will be imbued with 'the spirit of the Craig and Mertonford Light Railway' - P.D.Hancock's 4mm scale Narrow Gauge wonder.

I look forward to all those shadows and natural sunlight along with the acrid whiff of oily steam emanating from my Accucraft Edrig which, frankly, needs somewhere to run.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:52:00 AM by chrispearce »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2020, 09:05:39 AM »
The railway will draw inspiration from the Corris Railway and Glyn Valley Tramway (I ordered a kit for an electric GVT tram yesterday from PDF Models) but will be imbued with 'the spirit of the Craig and Mertonford Light Railway' - P.D.Hancock's 4mm scale Narrow Gauge wonder.

Lovely to see you mention Craigshire, Chris.  I think this was the first model railway to have its own cast of characters, an approach taken up to good effect by Iain Rice and adopted by some members of our Forum.

The Railway Modeller has had quite a few interesting snippets of late about 'PDH' and his work.

If you are interested in reading about The Craig and Mertonfield Light Railway in the builder's own words, I have a copy of Narrow Gauge Adventure by PD Hancock, (Peco, 1975, SBN 900586 44 3) which you are welcome to borrow if you don't have a copy.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #237 on: February 04, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »

If you are interested in reading about The Craig and Mertonfield Light Railway in the builder's own words, I have a copy of Narrow Gauge Adventure by PD Hancock, (Peco, 1975, SBN 900586 44 3) which you are welcome to borrow if you don't have a copy.

I borrowed this book as a very young man from the Bristol Library and was a bit baffled as to whether it was about a REAL railway. I had only really seen Hornby catalogue-style train sets up until that time and the landscape and monochrome pics were all rather wonderful. When I was in my early 20s I found myself remembering this happy book and got a copy direct from Peco. I am using it as a reference right now! Slater's do a George England Ffestiniog saddle tank kit (ala Angus) and Accucraft do Yeo/Taw/Exe (ala Alistair) but this latter costs in the region of 1,800.00!

The layout may actually end up somewhere in Scotland as one of those disconnected-from-the-rest-of-the-national-network lines which runs between quarries/mines and the side of a Loch but I'll see how it all goes.

Many thanks for your very kind offer though!  :thumbsup:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: February 04, 2020, 06:39:35 PM »
I had only really seen Hornby catalogue-style train sets up until that time...

Ah yes; my kind of thing!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal