!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 8712 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »
Thanks chaps.  :thumbsup:

A scheme is brewing.  >:D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »
That is a big big loco!  I know it wouldn't get far round my layout!  my longer loco's don't like the curve I have just be for the viaduct ... so I have a feeling this one would just sit there and sulk " you expect me to get round that!" ....

That surprizes me Andrew. I have always heard that such locos can traverse at least Peco 2nd Radius curves due to both sets of wheels being able to turn. I have just sat mine on a 3rd radius curve without any issues. This is good news because I didn't ask the seller before I sent him £149.00 (including postage).  :-[

It was a present to myself and a case of "if I don't grab it, some other bu##er will!" >:D

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:10:00 AM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2019, 08:55:14 AM »
That machine would certainly cause a stir if it appeared anywhere near Penweathers Junction Chris.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »
Well. Here is a bit of news.

This is an aerial picture of 3 quarries/aggregate suppliers at Long Downs in Cornwall- the sandy-coloured shapes. They are, actually, real working businesses and operate today in reality. However, in my version of things they are doing so well that they need a better way to move their products than the winding roads that are found in the area.

Luckily they are a little to the west of the Falmouth Branch. Talks take place between these companies and Network Rail and the decision is made to build a new line from the Falmouth Branch to a loading pad that will be located at a central point amidst the 3 companies at Long Downs. The junction with the branch line will be at a place called Four Cross. Which is at the top right of the picture marked with a yellow pin.

This is a close-up of the location of the junction at Four Cross, just to the south of the more southerly road overbridge. The railway runs from upper left to lower right.

Now one of my enterprising owners of the nascent Maen Quarry Railway (which is being built - mostly basic ground works- at the present) hears of this plan and thinks that as rail link to the National Network would be a jolly good idea and proposes a branch from the MQR to make an end-on junction with the new NR branch. This would allow the Mainline-Certified stock (e.g. the BR 3 Car DMU) to operate a shuttle service to/from Truro in order to bring visitors to the MQR.

This pic shows the MQR/Carnellis marked at bottom left with Long Downs' proposed rail head at the top center. The link between will run north-easterly from former to latter with the junction with the MQR located just west of Carnellis station.

This is how I will incorporate a hypothetical link from my layout to the 'outside world'. It all sounds rather grand but will, in reality, be no more than a hidden line and run-round loop. However, it will offer a number of additional operating opportunities which, I feel are well worth the tiny bit of work involved.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:01:06 PM by chrispearce »

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »
That looks like a tidy bit of research, Chris.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
That looks like a tidy bit of research, Chris.

Thank you Laurence. I find it all part of the enjoyment. Nothing wrong in my mind with complete works of fiction but I rather like trying to add even a dash of plausibility. However, subtle. I'd hate to think what the cost would be in real terms! :goggleeyes:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2019, 11:36:30 PM »
That machine would certainly cause a stir if it appeared anywhere near Penweathers Junction Chris.

This is not intended as pedantry, just out of interest because this always confused me a bit. The nearby hamlet to the junction is called Penwethers - with an E. My Maternal Grandparents lived there. However, and oddly enough, the nearby junction for the Falmouth Branch is called Penwithers - with an I. Now why is that? I am trying to find this out but am not having a great deal of joy at the moment.

That aside, Martin, you are very right. Such a monster would cause a stir. I don't think it'll get clearance through the platforms at Truro, or anywhere else for that matter! Realizing this has made the need for a road unloading pad for rolling stock a necessity as my US and German stock is built to a bigger loading gauge so rail movements are out-of-the-question. I have decided that, as the lanes around the MQR don't really lend themselves well to the Train Truckers, the loading/unloading pad will be located on my hypothetical link-line which can be easily accessed from the much more generously proportioned A394 through Long Downs.

As Hannibal from the A Team would say," I love it when a plan comes together."

My initial 2 baseboards (for the main layout/circuit) are progressing well so I will post some pics soon. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:11:13 AM by chrispearce »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2019, 03:37:33 AM »
As initial ground-works continue, our merry band of friends have frequent meetings in a variety of local Cornish hostelries to discuss plans. After having a good group belly-laugh at the cunning of the new plan for what is known as the MQR Long Downs Link Line which promises new opportunities, such issues as architecture for the railway are mulled over. The most favoured idea at this time is to push for a more American feel (the Mallet group having, by far, the greatest amount of clout) as this would make the railway stand out as being different from, and therefore not detracting from, the efforts of the 2 nearby established heritage operations ie: the Helston and Bodmin & Wenford Railways which, of course, draw from a Great Western/B.R. tradition.

Having poured over pictures of the more Alpine Chalet look of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway (e.g. Woody Bay) and the hipped-roof structures of the West highland line it is felt that wooden structures with the flavour of these kind of station buildings would fit the bill very nicely. Also, the Continental stock would also sit well with these structures.

More ale and pasties are consumed and ideas continue to flow.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:42:01 AM by chrispearce »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »

As I warm more to this subject, I thought I'd share another element of my overall scheme. Above is a picture of Truro Station. Below is a closer view of the Western (Penzance/Falmouth) end.

Beginning from the bottom and working up the tracks we have: Platform 1 - the bay for the Falmouth Branch trains, Platform 2 - the Down Main to Penzance, Platform 3 - the Up Main to Plymouth and beyond, then the abandoned and lifted former Platform 4. This last platform face used to be the former Up Main Platform with Platform 3 serving some Falmouth Branch trains and the branch which used to go via Chacewater and Perranporth to Newquay. Up from this old platform is the site of what was once Truro extensive yard of which only 2 sidings remain at the top. The former MPD was off to the left of the picture.

Now if you look at where the current line to those 2 upper sidings leaves the Up Main there is a point which feeds a line that just peters out under the long footbridge. In my scheme, this is realigned to become a bay platform which brings the former Platform 4 back into use. This will follow a similar scheme to that of the Swanage Railway which seeks to regain a bay platform at Wareham for its Heritage line. This new bay at Truro will be where the shuttles to and from the MQR will terminate. The necessary crossover still exists to give access to the Falmouth branch which leaves the Down Main a little distance to the left of this picture beyond the short Highertown Tunnel. Interestingly, due to the short distance from the station to the junction, Falmouth branch trains only use the Down main in both directions.

Hope this all makes sense.  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:30:20 AM by chrispearce »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
I'd say that plan is definitley coming together, so long as it doesn't involve any planes, you might even get Mr T to agree  :beers:

Great research & great logic.... love how this is coming together .... good news that the big fella is happy on your curves, this chat has made me think again about the problematic curve I have and how I should try again to ease it out a bit, even though that might mean a lot of disruption!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2019, 08:53:20 AM »
Looking good Chris.
I like the developing back story which helps to bring things to life.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »
Looking good Chris.

Thank you Andrew. Glad it all makes sense. :thumbsup:

Thank you Martin. Knowing that I am fiddling around with your local area and I have your approval so far is good news indeed! No cries of "OUTRAGE!!!!" just yet.  :veryangry:

Unless I decide to install overhead electric wires and, therefore, need to build a nuclear power station on Carnon Downs  >:D.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
Looking good Chris.

Thank you Andrew. Glad it all makes sense. :thumbsup:

Thank you Martin. Knowing that I am fiddling around with your local area and I have your approval so far is good news indeed! No cries of "OUTRAGE!!!!" just yet.  :veryangry:

Unless I decide to install overhead electric wires and, therefore, need to build a nuclear power station on Carnon Downs  >:D.
NO, NO....donít do that. Being quite high up on the slopes of Carn Marth we can see Carnon Downs (and Longdowns) on the horizon. A beautiful view across the woods. Please donít spoil our view  :D
Mind you with the rain having sheeted down here since about 6-00 yesterday evening and still doing so, we canít see a thing today!

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2019, 01:32:58 AM »
 :hellosign:
  Like your plan Chris & think the "The Big Boy" would look superb down the main line  :D
     regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »
Looking good Chris.

Strange how a joke can sow a seed (or start a train) of thought. No, I am not contemplating a nuclear power plant. What with all the granite in Cornwall I think they have enough radioactivity down there as it is.

I am interested in a variety of things and I had an idea today. What if my jolly bunch of enterprising friends decided to run their steam locos on Biocoal? That would provide a legitimate industry for my layout where a rotary kiln could be installed in some sort of building and biodegradable waste could come in, be cooked up to about 800 deg. C in the kiln and turned into Biocoal? Lower carbon emissions and no negative effects of the very real coal crisis that is plaguing the futures of our heritage railways in the UK. There certainly was a group in the US which was restoring a A.T.S.F. ?4-8-4 to specifically trial this out so it isn't pure fantasy. See link below:

https://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/biofuels/steam-engines-making-a-comeback-to-curb

A thought which I like and will dwell upon further.  :hmmm:

You never know, I might, one day, even splash out on a Freightliner Class 66 to bring the waste in.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 08:21:40 PM by chrispearce »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal