!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 8721 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 07:29:14 PM »

Well, here is the completed framework along with all the stuff that will be stored underneath (!). Hopefully the stuff will be reduced as I have a decent throw-out. The undersides of the horizontals are 3 feet off the floor but I can reach the back without leaning very far forward.

Out of interest the blue packaging at the right side of the pic contains upholsterers foam which I have been storing in this room for years. I intend to use it instead of polystyrene to build the landscape. I have experimented with coating the stuff with plaster mixed with PVA glue and it worked really well.

It's strange but, once I had the frame finished, it seemed bigger than I imagined it would be although there was a decorating table there before and I was very pernickety about my measuring.

I fear I have created a monster  :goggleeyes:.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:31:16 PM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2019, 09:15:40 PM »
I fear I have created a monster  :goggleeyes:.

But screw your courage to the sticking place and you'll not fail.
(From that 'Scottish play')

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »

Just a test shot to see how my phone takes pics of N Gauge equipment. This is a US Prairie loco and 2 Santa Fe coaches which will be amongst the stock run on the MQR.

Work commitments and building storage shelves into my layout framework have consumed my time since the last update but the former is due to continue for another 19 years and the latter is progressing rapidly.

My aim is to have the shelves finished by end-of-play tomorrow then work on specific baseboard design will follow soon afterwards.

I may, once the carnage in my front bedroom is cleared away, take and post some more stock pics just to whet your appetites!  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »

A Mikado on a (very) short freight.

A B&O GP7. (ADDENDUM: More likely a SD40 Hi-Nose - thanks to John (trainwaitng) for the correction).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:43:23 AM by chrispearce »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »

Pennsy E8.

Out of interest, I think passenger trains will be 2 or 3 coaches long on the whole. Maybe 4. I am considering acquiring some US coaches which will be either be purchased 'maroon' (such as the Tuscan red of the PRR) or will be repainted. I feel they will then 'sit' well with my various locos and make a 'standard' train rather than having to build carriage sidings for different countries. However, in the late '60s when BR Corporate Blue was appearing it was possible to see a blue diesel pulling Green Mk.1 carriages on the Southern Region so I could go with green.

Choices, choices.  ;)

I do like the matt appearance of the loco against the slight shine of my homemade sky backdrop. A thin layer of varnish was applied to allow the sky to shine and appear to contain light rather than being a flat matt blue. I will continue with this idea on the layout.

You know - bring a little sunshine.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:14:19 PM by chrispearce »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 08:34:45 PM »
Thank you for these interesting photographs, Chris.

That 'Mikado' is certainly a very business-like locomotive.

It's probably just my small screen and ageing eyesight but the B&O GP7 looks like an SD with three axle trucks.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2019, 02:59:55 AM »
It's probably just my small screen and ageing eyesight but the B&O GP7 looks like an SD with three axle trucks.

You may be right John! The box vanished a long time ago so I couldn't be sure. The body looked very GP-like to me when I wrote the caption for the pic, but, now you mention it, I'd forgotten about the SD series.

I will look this up and check.

Thank you.

Chris.

ADDENDUM: It could be a hi nose SD40.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:03:55 AM by chrispearce »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »

BR Class 25.

BR Class 22.

BR Class 52.

More soon.  :thumbsup:

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
looks good especially with the light catching the side of the train

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 10:00:17 AM »
looks good especially with the light catching the side of the train

Thanks Chris. I agree. This little mocked up scene is on the front of the layout frame so, when built, the layout will be in the same place. I hope that the lighting will benefit the layout when built. It is a mix of natural light from the window and the top light in the room.

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 10:03:34 AM »
i have never seen a class 22 haul mk 1s - suburban / ex gwr stock maybe wrong - mainly unfitted freight and of course the cornish china clay and / or milk tanks which they were known
for hauling

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »
i have never seen a class 22 haul mk 1s - suburban / ex gwr stock maybe wrong - mainly unfitted freight and of course the cornish china clay and / or milk tanks which they were known
for hauling

That's useful. I just made a train and swapped the locos for the pics. It's something to research though. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
chris

not mine .... but ....
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2174423@N23/pool/

selection of photos

you would need br maroon and a green 22, but mainly freight

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2019, 10:38:54 AM »

3 Car DMU.

Class 37.

Class 08.

Funnily enough, although I bought the UK stock a few years back for a planned Welsh-themed layout, this is the very first time any of this stock has been out of it's boxes. It has been nice to put them on the track and look them over. The quality is impressive. I look forward to giving them a place to live and operate!

And next - eine kleine Deutsches Bundesbahn.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:44:51 AM by chrispearce »

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2019, 10:40:50 AM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:55:26 AM by crewearpley40 »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00