!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 9774 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2019, 03:24:21 AM »
Just because I like sharing random things I discover, I learn from erudite online sources that a UP Big Boy could negotiate a minimum radius curve of 250m (20%) which should be around 20 inches in N Gauge.

Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2019, 06:44:56 AM »
Just because I like sharing random things I discover, I learn from erudite online sources that a UP Big Boy could negotiate a minimum radius curve of 250m (20%) which should be around 20 inches in N Gauge.
I think N scale is about 150:1 so 250m equates to 1.67m in N gauge, or about 64 inches.  I stand to be corrected, of course.  Or was it 250ft, which is more like 20 inches?

Happy Christmas, by the way
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2019, 06:50:19 AM »
It's funny but when I type "Maen Quarry" into my Google search engine there are references and pics which can be traced to a certain 'N Gauge Forum'. It seems some fruit-cake is trying to build a layout based on the place. The pics are awfully familiar.

It seems as if i have 'gone public'! :goggleeyes:

I've found that with mine too - unfortunately the first of mine that comes up for Coniston is the very first pic I posted, bare boards, track and a rat's nest of wires. It's a long way down the results before any come up of the model in a more complete stage  :(

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2019, 07:13:33 AM »
I think N scale is about 150:1 so 250m equates to 1.67m in N gauge, or about 64 inches.  I stand to be corrected, of course.  Or was it 250ft, which is more like 20 inches?

Site said 40inch radius in HO ergo my halving that for N. 20 inches is 500mm so, at 2mm/ft that would be 250feet which means you are right. I will go back to said web site and check their info again. Thanks Laurence and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours too! :wave:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2019, 07:23:11 AM »

An un-nerving online eye opener for you!  I have just about managed to purge google from my online toolkit, preferring to use DuckDuckGo as they are a lot less intrusive and don't track your every online move like google (I was a bit sceptical at first, but it does seem to be proving true).  you were hit number 3 & 4 in the listings there too! But not in the images section couldn't see any of your neat baseboards on there, but lots and lots of lovely quarry pics and rusting relics

Thanks for all your entertaining updates and hope you & yours have a lovely festive period   :beers:
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
Well I have just got home. 7 hours for a normally 4 hour journey. Traffic very hefty on the M5 & M4. Anyway, a lovely little Christmas visit to see my dear Mother. :beers:

I did try to get to the real Maen Quarry but it really had become the Maen Quagmire due to all the recent Cornish rain. Bridle paths etc. are plentiful but these involve following field boundaries and the grass stuck up out of mud and water. I saw from afar so have a feel for the area but not the quarry itself and, alas, no pics.  :'(

I did get to stand roughly were my Maen Station would be and dreamed of wisps of white smoke and steam drifting from the chimney of an ATSF 2-8-8-2 but that, I'm afraid, is as far as I got. I will return in February to see if I can get there then.

On a brighter note, I remembered Martin's ( @port perran ) advice and visited Constantine. The back room of the village shop really is a haven for many many bottles of the Devil's Wee. I don't think I've ever seen so many different types of Whiskey, Rum etc. in one place.

I, however, left with a Christmas card for my Mother and a tube of Sour Cream 'n' Onion Pringles. :angel:

Not all was lost. Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 05:11:29 PM by chrispearce »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »
Being a collector of single malts, I have to limit my visits to Constantine stores (even though itís only about 10 miles away).
Glad you made it to have a peek though.
Itís the most unusual village store I know.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »

Just found this pic of part of Delabole Quarry in North Cornwall. It was historically served by the LSWR/Southern Railway/Southern Region of BR on the route to Wadebridge and Padstow. This latter station only, of course, is Penmayne ( @Chris in Prague) in our NGF world.

Although it is mostly for Cornish Slate production it is much as I envisage the Maen Quarry would look in my proposed layout. This pic will make a useful reference for me when I get into the scenic development.

That certainly is an interesting coincidence. Delabole Quarry is very deep and wide.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »

Happy Christmas, by the way

Merry Christmas and prepare to stand.  ;)

US and European N Scale is 1:160, Japanese is 1:150, and the good old UK has 1:148.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2019, 06:17:01 PM »

I have trail-fitted the boards today and the gap has truly shrunk. It appears that the trackbeds are the prime source of any remaining gap now so I will fettle these when the next chance comes although this won't be until next weekend.

To misquote Elton John," I'm still sanding, yeah, yeah, yeah."  :'(

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2019, 09:56:11 PM »

Site said 40inch radius in HO ergo my halving that for N. 20 inches is 500mm so, at 2mm/ft that would be 250feet which means you are right. I will go back to said web site and check their info again. Thanks Laurence and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours too! :wave:

Just to briefly return to this, I don't know why the site I originally got this info from put it this way but I doubt very much that a Big Boy could get round a curve of less than 250m. Therefore, a curve in N gauge of about 5 feet would be right. The prototype curve that stands at the south end of Bury Bolton Street on the East Lancs Railway is roughly 200m radius from memory of measuring it on Google Earth and I think that could be a little too tight. 250ft would be outrageous. Thank you Laurence for bothering to check the maths!  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2019, 06:23:15 AM »
Just to return to this briefly, 250m would be about 12 chains in railway terms.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2019, 11:45:58 AM »
I can happily report that I have now sanded the boards so that they fit flush together. Not worth another pic as it would look very much like the last one - just the dark line having gone.

Tonight is the first of 4 night shifts so not much will happen until they are over but I can now start contemplating track-laying. I have already got circuit-boarding in stock for where track will cross board joins and some cork strip. This latter, I fear, is going to be a pain to lay around curves but judicious cutting should sort this out. Better to have the option of having a ballast-shoulder than not I guess.

Anyway, a very Happy New Year's Eve to all. May 2020 be happy and healthy and stuffed full of progress and development on all fronts!  :thumbsup:

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
 :claphappy: GOOD NEWS @chrispearce

Not about the night shifts but......

I ordered some cork roll courtesy of a link @Newportnobby put up a while back, typically this got lost in transit by DPD so in my desperation to get laying I went to a local flooring warehouse. 2mm cork roll, 1m high by 10m long!!!!! MASSIVE and only cost me £25 in paper notes without a receipt  :-[ it was 3pm on a sunday!!!! Anyway even though we dont have many curves on ours it was brilliant to cut 9inch sections off the roll and run a Sharpie up the sleeper ends to give me my line to cut to get the radius and then place the next but to it, trim the joints to be tight and go again!

Many would suggest 2 thin strips side by side but I might waste a bit of mine but when it's that big I dont think that's too much of a drama.

4nights of slog should give you a couple of days to play I mean track lay!!!!

Happy New year to you and your family!!!!!

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »
 :hellosign:
   All the best for 2020 Chris, looking forward to seeing more from the MQR.
         :beers:.   regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal