!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 9253 times)

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
That looks excellent, Chris: proper job!

Well worth taking your approach and getting the baseboard right.  Most other things can be altered, adjusted and reworked as one goes along but not the baseboard.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2019, 01:58:46 AM »
I have found the source of my baseboard gap. Sadly, the stripwood I used for the frame was straight as an arrow when stored under cover, but outside, at my local B&Q. It seems that, once in the nice warm environment of my house, some lengths adopted a very slight curve. This is a bit annoying I must say. Anyway, one length that I used as the frame where the 2 boards join had curved just enough to upset my carefully planned interlocking and has the unwanted effect of pushing the 2 boards 2mm apart.

BAAAA HUMBUG - just to keep this seasonal.

Thankfully, sanding down the interlocking strips of MDF will cure this. I got most of it done today so, hopefully, the problem will be resolved soon and the next stages can proceed. As John @Train Waiting says above, one can't fudge the baseboards. It would be the foundations of much future angst, tragedy and cussing methinks.

When I watch TV documentaries like 'Impossible Railways' and ponder the engineering challenges the railway builders of past and present face/d I think "You woosies! You have NO idea the hardships I am dealing with! :veryangry:"

And I haven't even laid a single length of track yet.  :-[
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2019, 07:57:13 AM »
You are making good progress though, think of the satisfied feeling that will come when you finally start laying track on super flat baseboards  :beers:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »
You are making good progress though, think of the satisfied feeling that will come when you finally start laying track on super flat baseboards  :beers:

Thanks Andrew. In the past I have found that problems can creep in unnoticed which get found too late. I can't rule it out but making best efforts now should make my subsequent journey easier. I have done a bit more sanding today and am getting close to sorting things out. Then the bit I tend to enjoy the most can commence - what's ON the baseboard!

If my cunning plans work out I may get to visit and photograph the actual site in Cornwall next week. Otherwise I will definitely go there in February. A jolly I look forward to.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2019, 03:13:39 AM »

Just found this pic of part of Delabole Quarry in North Cornwall. It was historically served by the LSWR/Southern Railway/Southern Region of BR on the route to Wadebridge and Padstow. This latter station only, of course, is Penmayne ( @Chris in Prague) in our NGF world.

Although it is mostly for Cornish Slate production it is much as I envisage the Maen Quarry would look in my proposed layout. This pic will make a useful reference for me when I get into the scenic development.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:16:09 AM by chrispearce »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2019, 04:31:17 AM »
Well my giddy Aunt, stap me vitals, shiver me timbers etc. I have been doing some research into the location for my MQR. Not only do I learn that Maen is pronounced Men (not Main as I originally believed) and is Cornish/Gaelic for Stone (Dolmen, Menhir?) but that there really was a Maen Quarry in Cornwall. Pics can be found online. Not only that but it was close to the village of Constantine and appears, so far, to BE IN EXACTLY THE SAME LOCATION!!!

I chose the name for my layout due to the recurring name Maen in a couple of local farms and a reference to Maen Toll. This, I learn, was a long-destroyed standing stone which was located nearby. It just seemed like a sensible name. I didn't realise I had, perchance, accidentally hit on the RIGHT name.

How very strange! I really do want to try to visit the site next week as I am spending the Christmas days in Cornwall. It will only be a flying visit but I would love to get to explore. Google maps is great but not the same as an onsite visit.

The plot thickens.............................................. :goggleeyes:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:22:54 AM by chrispearce »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »
I've alerted Mulder and Scully. They just await your call.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2019, 09:58:16 AM »
Maen alive! That is a serious plot twist, but a lovely case of serendipty or is it happenstance .... either way, two great under used words in the same post  :beers:

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: December 22, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
Well my giddy Aunt, stap me vitals, shiver me timbers etc. I have been doing some research into the location for my MQR. Not only do I learn that Maen is pronounced Men (not Main as I originally believed) and is Cornish/Gaelic for Stone (Dolmen, Menhir?)

It's not Gaelic, it's Celtic - generally Cornish, as you've found, Welsh and Breton.

but that there really was a Maen Quarry in Cornwall. Pics can be found online. Not only that but it was close to the village of Constantine and appears, so far, to BE IN EXACTLY THE SAME LOCATION!!!

Spooky or what?
 :uneasy:

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »
Maybe you have been there in a previous life ...........  :goggleeyes:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2019, 01:26:56 PM »
 :hellosign:
  All very interesting Chris, I drive around the area when working out of Helston depot. If you need more research check out the Royal Cornwall Museum website, photos from 1900s of Cornish Quarries.
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2019, 05:12:05 PM »

It's not Gaelic, it's Celtic - generally Cornish, as you've found, Welsh and Breton

Thanks Chris. You are right. It was in the very wee small hours and I didn't get the word Celtic in my addled mind when typing the post. I busked it - badly.  :-[

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2019, 06:01:20 PM »
I can now confirm ABSOLUTELY that what I have named Maen Quarry is, in fact, the real Maen Quarry of old. I made a note of the Longitude and Latitude last night and sticking the cursor over the quarry in Google Earth matches the co-ordinates precisely.

What an incredible episode! A seemingly random but logical choice of name turns out to be correct.

Now to try the same approach with the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant.  :thumbsup:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
:hellosign:
  All very interesting Chris, I drive around the area when working out of Helston depot. If you need more research check out the Royal Cornwall Museum website, photos from 1900s of Cornish Quarries.
      regards Derek.

Indeed Derek. These have been the very same pics I found last night. They are marvellous pics.

It's funny but when I type "Maen Quarry" into my Google search engine there are references and pics which can be traced to a certain 'N Gauge Forum'. It seems some fruit-cake is trying to build a layout based on the place. The pics are awfully familiar.

It seems as if i have 'gone public'! :goggleeyes:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:36:09 PM by chrispearce »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2019, 12:22:27 AM »
Hi chris,

It's a frightening world out there regarding the internet. I've also Googled stuff and my pictures have come up. Bit shocked at first.

Don't know if I should be worried  :worried:. I suppose that's life.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS Don't Google mankini weave Magaluf 1988  ;)  :D  :no:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:40:00 AM by weave »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything