!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: BR Pal-Brick A  (Read 719 times)

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
BR Pal-Brick A
« on: September 22, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
In my quest for full location prototypical workings I have to delve deep into the depths of history to find all workings of 1959-1963. Neither my dad or i were about at this time let alone at this location and 50 years has not been kind to former railway sites and virtually everything has disappeared under housing estates but still the quest continues.

Knowing we have a brick yard directly beside the engine shed and goods yard brick traffic would hopefully of still been quite high during our timeframe. Although the brick works had it's own private siding it is on the wrong side of the mainline to be modelled. However our reckoning is that the wagons could be shunted using the yard loco and these wagons can then be marshalled into the freights leaving for london or south to devon and cornwall.

My bargain book from TINGS threw up a wagon built but its life was very short lived as road haulage took over from the railways, these were the Pal-brick A, B & C. These were built on a 10ft chassis, 17'6" over the buffers and were designed with removable side panels to allow pallets of bricks to be fork lifted on, there was a solid headboard 1 end with 4 screws to clamp the other end and prevent movement and damage and expense to British Railways.

This is a mock up of a Pal-brick A that I've thrown together to get things as close to prototype as I can before seeing about making a rake. There is a beautiful brass kit available as ever in the wrong scale so the scrap box of plasticard came out this afternoon to see what could be done.

Once I get my production line set up, after I've worked out the niggles with this I'm quite confident a rake of 7 would fit quite nicely into the sidings!! I might even search out some packs of bricks to load them!!

Hints, ideas, glaring faults all welcome. Especially a link to shapeways where I can buy them ready built   :laugh3:

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Re: BR Pal-Brick A
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 10:14:42 PM »
I don't have the link to hand, but I know they're available on Shapeways, I think in N.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 10:27:07 PM »
Ha, absolutely beautiful thank you sir. Theres 4hrs of my life gone BUT  I can now have 6 wonderful wagons, I wonder if they do packs of bricks to fill them.... ........ :hmmm:

Offline emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 10:44:53 PM »
Ha, absolutely beautiful thank you sir. Theres 4hrs of my life gone BUT  I can now have 6 wonderful wagons, I wonder if they do packs of bricks to fill them.... ........ :hmmm:

Some people are never happy...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FDR6E932G/pallet-of-brick-oo-gauge?optionId=64771936

Unfortunately this is in 'Orribly Oversize', but if you contact the designer he may shrink it for you as he seems to do them in about five scales.

I stumbled across the wagon whilst looking for LMS wagons to build.

Have fun.

:D

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 10:50:55 PM »
The bricks can wait, Mrs EC can get me some as a stocking filler.

Roll on Oct 10 when they get delivered!! Now onto Chris about getting some decals made for them!!!!

Thank you @emjaybee, i was going to ask about them yesterday but thought I'd stand no chance and have to build my own! At least I haven't ordered all the plastruct yet!!

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:00 PM »
Those bricks look a bit odd anyway, the end profile is too narrow for a house brick.

Might be cheaper and easier to wrap a balsa cube in brick paper (you can print your own too :) ).

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 09:03:12 AM »
Very interesting. I never knew such wagons existed so thanks Craig

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:12:23 AM »
There is a design history, which was a bit complicated, included in 'British Railways wagons-the first half million' by Don Rowland.

They also underwent some modifications (eg plain to roller bearings) during their life, and some were later converted to other uses.

Some seemingly also coded PALWAG.

PALBRICK A rated 13 tons; B+C 16 tons.

All were always fully vacuum braked.

First examples introduced 1954.

HTH

Martyn
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:13:49 AM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
Also available from the 2MM Society...

www.2mm.org.uk/products/info/?prodnum=2-564

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 09:21:03 PM »
Indeed the history is unusual at least.

1420 were built between 1954 -61.

83 were fitted with wooden cradles to carry strip coils, once that traffic soared they actually developed a new wagon for coils.

Some Pal-bricks were converted for match trucks for the original Freightliner stock but most ended up as scrap.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 09:24:04 PM »
Also available from the 2MM Society...

www.2mm.org.uk/products/info/?prodnum=2-564

Dont think my skills are quite upto any of these, but would like better chassis then Peco 10fts for mine to run on  :uneasy:

Any recommendations????

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 10:24:20 PM »
Dont think my skills are quite upto any of these, but would like better chassis then Peco 10fts for mine to run on  :uneasy:

Any recommendations????

Having build a few of the 2mm Association wagons now (but not the Palbrick) I'd say go for it. You'll not find a more accurate chassis that the etched one. My general experience is that their kits are well thought out and designed and the only one that has presented me with any serious challenges so far is the Toad E.

However, perhaps buy the non-member "promotional" pack first (8.50, including P+P). This includes a steel mineral wagon which has an etched chassis and plastic body. If you can assemble the chassis then I am sure you'll be able to assemble the Palbrick.

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/nms/index.html

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 11:07:09 PM »
I jumped up a few posts on your own topic earlier Steve and read about that starter pack, it does look very good.

I've commented many times about your quality of models and the skill you have to be able to produce these time and time again.

Jumping from hacking up plasticard and glueing Peco kits and NGS kits are a world away from this stuff, maybe once I've got my soldering skills on my wiring I will get 1 just to try  :hmmm: and be brave!!!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 11:31:00 PM »
I jumped up a few posts on your own topic earlier Steve and read about that starter pack, it does look very good.

I think it is a good way to start, in fact it was my first effort at building a 2mm etched chassis kit. I purchased it at a show and then it sat in the draw for a couple of years before I finally plucked up the courage to try it. I made a few mistakes along the way but go it assembled in the end.

I've commented many times about your quality of models and the skill you have to be able to produce these time and time again.

Thank you.  :-[ To be honest most of the time, it is the quality of the kit that makes things achievable. I try to emulate what I learn in my own CAD work to make things as easy as possible while trying to keep detail/scale.

Jumping from hacking up plasticard and glueing Peco kits and NGS kits are a world away from this stuff, maybe once I've got my soldering skills on my wiring I will get 1 just to try  :hmmm: and be brave!!!

Being brave is the big thing here. Once you've learnt the different rules and techniques around etched kits (good amount of heat, clean metal/iron, good liquid flux and a decent modelling solder), you'll realise that it really isn't a world away from bits of plasticard and plastic kits.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £61.00
Below Goal: £39.00
Site Currency: GBP
61% 
October Donations

Advertise Here