!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: fitting stay alive to 08s  (Read 187 times)

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
fitting stay alive to 08s
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:59:43 PM »
hi

does anyone here fit stay alives to 08s?  if yes does it help much with smooth and slow speed running as well as reliabiliy?

how much would it cost to have a stay alive capacitor fitted?

cheers

tim

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Re: fitting stay alive to 08s
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »
John over on Youchoos has fitted them along with sound, see the guide on his site.

I found the use of a graphite pencil on the rails vastly improved running of these small shunters without the need for stay alives.

I once did a video of a class 14 taking 20 minutes to cover 12 inches, on a graphite treated track, that's good enough slow running for me.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:00:30 AM by Paul-H »
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 09:57:21 PM »
thanks paul

my 08s are not terrible but it can be frustrating when they occasionally stall or need a push start! was just exploring options...

ive read about using graphite pencil on the track before so i'll have to try it out.

cheers

tim

Offline rhysapthomas

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
Hi

I did a thread about this about 3 years ago can't copy the link but do a search for class 08 keepalive.  Others contributed a lot of useful info
Cost was minimal and results were very good.  You need to right DCC chip which will support keepalive CT and Zimmo are ones i have used

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:10:53 AM »
If you are lucky enough to find one of the single sided CT decoders that are thin enough to install next to the gearbox, that would leave the gab area free for quite a large capacity Stay Alive, removing the bulkhead detail will give access to even more room.

The trouble is CT decoders have a bit of a poor reputation.

I would bring down the top of the gearbox a little and mount a Zimo MX616 on top of what's left of the box then mount the stay alive on the floor of the cab, with a small hole drilled in the firewall for the wires to the decoder, unless the firewall was removed as mentioned above for even more stay alive.

I fitted sound to all of mine using Zimo decoders and after removing the PCB from the end of the motor to remove the suppression component I never realy had any running issues over points etc.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
thanks for the further replies

if i decide to get them fitted i would pay someonr ti do the work as im not good at tiny electronic tasks like this

cheers

tim

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 10:27:12 AM »
my 08s are not terrible but it can be frustrating when they occasionally stall or need a push start! was just exploring options...

Stay alive will not help locos that need a push start. The capacitors only stay charged for a fraction of a second, enough to get you over a dead spot, but not if the loco has stopped on one and won’t help a generally poor starting loco.

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
Agreed, if the loco is not a perfect runner on a flat clean track, stay alive will not help, its best to sort out the reason for the poor running before taking a hacksaw to it.

If the track is 100% flat and clean then you need to look at how clean the wheels are were they contact the track, and how clean the backs are were the pickups make contact, plus also make sure the pickups are clean and actually making contact with the backs of the wheels.  The 08 IIRC has pickups on all 6 wheels, a basic test for this can be done with a simple multimeter on low resistance mode or continuity.

Sort the loco first before doing any work.

I assume its DCC fitted as you are talking about stay alive, did it run OK on DC before conversion, if it did and its lumpy on DCC you may just need to play with the CV settings to improve and smooth its running, was the PCB removed from the motor during conversion, it should be removed as it contain suppression components that are known to upset digital decoders.

Paul

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations