!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Duchess Traction Tyres Fitting  (Read 175 times)

Offline Rabbitaway

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Farish Duchess Traction Tyres Fitting
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:04:30 AM »
Hi All

Any advice on the best way to fit replacement traction tyres on a new tool Duchess

Thanks

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Farish Duchess Traction Tyres Fitting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 05:05:44 PM »
Remove the rear crank pin (threaded) from each wheel to remove and refit the tyres - don't overtighten the pin when putting back on as very fine and easy to shear (game over).

Cheers
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 08:09:18 PM »
Dr Al

The new traction tyres arrived today

I have checked the pins and they are unscrewing and I will take your advice and be very careful not to over tighten when putting back in

The question is about clearance from the top of wheel to under the splasher, this is very close. Is there enough room to get the tyre in or do I need to lift off the body

Another point is this loco is just over a year old, Queen Elizabeth, and the traction tyres have perished, only used a few times and no oil contamination. I have found the same with little used A1 and A2. The rubber does appear to be prone to perishing in a short period

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:16:09 PM by Rabbitaway »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:59:28 PM »
Removing the body if you feel the need is simple- one screw under the front bogie and two at rear either side of drawbar peg.

Tyres should not degrade in a year - all mine are older and fine. I'd check for oil on track and clean that up - it's the number one thing that kills tyres. Otherwise I'd be looking at where they are stored for extreme cold/warm temperature changes etc and try to avoid that.

Cheers
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:25:55 PM »
Dr Al

Definitely no oil contamination but stored in the loft with the layout so possible cause is the temperature change

Thanks

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 09:48:24 PM »
...but stored in the loft with the layout so possible cause is the temperature change

Is the loft just as built, or has it been lined out and properly insulated?  Sadly a standard loft is really not a good place for layouts and model trains to live, I can well imagine traction tyre life would be compromised.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 11:20:44 PM »
Not insulated, as built as cold loft. Very aware of this as I work in construction.

A word of warning if people are DIY insulting their lofts, as you will be affecting the natural ventilation for cold roof construction therefore you may get condensation problems so suitable dpm and ensuring any cold bridging is addressed is a requirement.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 10:12:30 AM »
For those of us who don't work in construction can we assume 'dpm' = damp proof membrane? :dunce:

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »
Rubber degradation is more likely to do with high temperatures than low. But then lofts can get pretty hot in summer.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations