!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 3D Printing modern wagons - JHA, Drax Biomass and JIA China Clay tanks  (Read 7923 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Getting Started in 3D Printing - JHA, Drax Biomass and IPA car carriers
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2020, 10:58:40 PM »
Yes, probably, but also adds an extra dimension (no pun intended) with having to assemble them. Must fix the original printer so I’ve got two on the go for these bits!

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2020, 09:36:56 PM »
So we moved house last month, and the garage is full of "house stuff" still, and not entirely unreasonably Mrs njee20 has requested we clear that out before I start stinking the place out with resin and IPA. Bit of a pain, I miss printing, keep meaning to set a printer up in the garden while the weather's nice!

Been continuing with a bit of CAD though, got the JIA to the point I'll test a print. @kirky will modify to the potash ones in due course!

Quite pleased with how it's come out, having thought they'd be easy I think it's actually the most complicated model I've done! :doh:

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2020, 09:55:25 PM »
That looks quite lovely Nick. Quite excited to see it printed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »
That looks very impressive 👍

Cheers, Timmo
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2020, 07:02:17 PM »
Thanks gents, yes, I'm excited to see how this prints, perhaps a job for the weekend to try and get something done!

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2020, 07:58:30 PM »
So we moved house last month, and the garage is full of "house stuff" still, and not entirely unreasonably Mrs njee20 has requested we clear that out before I start stinking the place out with resin and IPA. Bit of a pain, I miss printing, keep meaning to set a printer up in the garden while the weather's nice!

Been continuing with a bit of CAD though, got the JIA to the point I'll test a print. @kirky will modify to the potash ones in due course!

Quite pleased with how it's come out, having thought they'd be easy I think it's actually the most complicated model I've done! :doh:

It looks really cool Nick. Expect Ill need a few  :D
Northallerton will make its next public appearance sometime after LOCKDOWN

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Tackleberry

• N Gauge Society Number: 39700
    • Awards
Just seen this thread, will you be making the JHA available as I could use a few of these?

Offline njee20

• Awards
Sorry @Tackleberry, I missed your post. Yes - PM me by all means, only just getting up and running after a house move, so may not be all that quick depending on how many you’re after!

Offline njee20

• Awards
Got the printers out again over the weekend.

Thought I'd run a print of the JIA china clay tanks off, as the CAD had come together quite nicely, and I was intrigued to see how the printer handled some of the more complex shapes. The answer, it turns out, was pretty well...

Untitled by njee20, on Flickr

They're a bit overscale, which is fine, it's in all dimensions, so I can handily just reduce them by 5-10% (I've not yet measured). It's a massive pain if they're overscale in one dimension, as you distort everything by shrinking differently in different dimensions.

The discharge hoppers need some work, they didn't print all that well (which is fine, I didn't support them enough), and the shape isn't quite right, so a bit more revision needed there. I've had a very kind offer of the loan of a OO gauge model to copy from.

The artwork on these needs consideration too, all the lettering is white on a base blue colour, which is the hardest to do, as I can't print white. I'm not sure how well it'll work if I print against a blue background, but I'll try it. The plan is to heavily weather them anyway, so I'm hopeful it'll work out.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Looking impressive. After that house move  its kept you busy with your hobby

Offline Tackleberry

• N Gauge Society Number: 39700
    • Awards
Sorry @Tackleberry, I missed your post. Yes - PM me by all means, only just getting up and running after a house move, so may not be all that quick depending on how many you’re after!

Drop you a PM a bit later, haven’t got any baseboards built yet and it’ll be based on Whatley quarry so maybe 5/6ish but definitely no rush lol

Online B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • Awards
Those JIAs look very good. I shall have to relieve you of some too! Just need to work out how many i need!

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Offline njee20

• Awards
Was going to update this thread again, when I had something meaningful to update, thank you for the prod!

Thanks, they’re going through many revisions! Renowned (primarily OO gauge) modeller Mike Buick has been really helpful with the JIAs - he’s leant me one of the Kernow OO gauge ones to clone. I took about 40 different measurements from it to rescale mine! Virtually at the point of running off another print now! If nothing else I’m impatient, and you suddenly start realising you’re tinkering around with 0.1mm! I must say I’m pleased with them though.

The NGS are out of bogies, which is a pain, anyone know how often they restock?! It’s the fabricated Y25s, which I think are ex-ATM ones. @Ben A ...?

Also going to paint a few JHAs for a bit of a change from just doing CAD and printing stuff! Thought I’d paint a couple of ARC ones for a change. I went back and revised the design; as my first it was quite sloppy, managed to get a far more consistent finish on them now!

In other, exciting (to me!) news Elegoo today had a limited pre-order of their new large format “Saturn” printer, and I managed to secure one. Build area is 3x the size of the Mars, so I ought to be able to print 6-7 wagons at a time, or up to 30 pairs of bogies in one run!

Also invested in a colour laser printer which can print white. Both the JIAs and the IPAs (which I’ve revisited a bit) have white lettering on a coloured background, and Colour matching the background felt messy. Impressed with the decal quality in colour is excellent, and no need to varnish the decals unlike with an inkjet, so hopefully the white will be good too!

Will stick some up to date photos up in due course!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:26:01 PM by njee20 »

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
All good news Nick  :claphappy: Saturn printer sounds absolutely fantastic and the laser printer should be worth its price tag as well!!

I'll get my 'want list' too you  :smiley-laughing:

Very envious!!!

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Excellent CAD work Nick.

I'm really impressed how those handrails have printed, have to say the detail of those prints have to be one of the best I have seen on here, how long did they take to print?

Glad to hear you've secured a pre purchase order for the Saturn, sadly as you know I missed out on them but still might settle for the Mars Pro.

Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal