!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Questions on my proposed track plan  (Read 420 times)

Offline daversmth

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Questions on my proposed track plan
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
With regard to your concern about having to back into the siding , you could consider using a curved point to join where your red triangle is in the layout at the end of the siding to the curve at top right to make the spur a through route.

With regard to insulfrog, I would agree that they are an issue for short wheelbase locos ( because all its pickup wheels may sit on the plastic insulator ).  If you use insulfrog, you must check that if the loco only has two pickup wheels, the space between them is longer than the insulfrog. Even for longer wheelbase locos you will need to ensure all pickups are clean because one dirty pickup will cause the loco to stall on the insulfrog. It is fine to use insulfrog as long as you accept and work within the limitations it imposes.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »
Normally I'd suggest removing the reverse 'S' curve into the siding at the top by making a point part of the curve like so..............

but I think as you're using set track it would throw the geometry out.
Reversing into a siding is totally prototypical but with your siding where it is on the outer oval which travels in a clockwise direction (for UK) it's just not possible. I know not where you intend to have a station but you could always have a release crossover in the siding (2 x LH points) back onto the main line and position it a loco's length away from the end of the siding

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
good start

i would allow a good space between baseboard edges and track and turn the  the yard so its facing right to left instead - but thats my personal choice. a good start.

My 2x4 baseboard is now more like 2.5x4 haha. So there is a good amount of space for scenery etc.
Any reason for the left rather then right other then personal choice?

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
With regard to your concern about having to back into the siding , you could consider using a curved point to join where your red triangle is in the layout at the end of the siding to the curve at top right to make the spur a through route.

With regard to insulfrog, I would agree that they are an issue for short wheelbase locos ( because all its pickup wheels may sit on the plastic insulator ).  If you use insulfrog, you must check that if the loco only has two pickup wheels, the space between them is longer than the insulfrog. Even for longer wheelbase locos you will need to ensure all pickups are clean because one dirty pickup will cause the loco to stall on the insulfrog. It is fine to use insulfrog as long as you accept and work within the limitations it imposes.

I did try a curved point but with my chosen radius and the set track I couldn't get the right combination to get the geometry to work.

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 11:54:28 AM »
Normally I'd suggest removing the reverse 'S' curve into the siding at the top by making a point part of the curve like so..............

but I think as you're using set track it would throw the geometry out.
Reversing into a siding is totally prototypical but with your siding where it is on the outer oval which travels in a clockwise direction (for UK) it's just not possible. I know not where you intend to have a station but you could always have a release crossover in the siding (2 x LH points) back onto the main line and position it a loco's length away from the end of the siding

Thanks
You have also inadvertently answered another question of mine which was if there was a set direction of travel for each loop.
So if the outer loop is clockwise I could flip the siding to the other direction and maybe use a curved point to remove the "s" ?

Thanks for the input all

Offline gavin_t

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
Also incase I was been unclear I was talking about having the station at the bottom on the layout between the inner loop and th first siding in the yard which runs parallel.

Top siding was more for just storage. Not yet sure if this will be scenic or hidden with a back scene.

:thankyousign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »

So if the outer loop is clockwise I could flip the siding to the other direction and maybe use a curved point to remove the "s" ?

You could, but the curve of the point would have to be the same radius as the rest of the curve or, again, the geometry goes out of the window. If you check each piece of track on the Hattons page they give all the dimensions, angles, radii etc

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations